Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Transporting fishing pontoon  (Read 5120 times)

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
Re: Transporting fishing pontoon
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2020, 09:35:19 PM »

I look at it this way, you fish ? If answer is yes you'll need to ask more questions such as, Do you own a boat ? How many times a week do you fish from boat ? Do you travel to fish ? Is your desire to find new water to fish from your boat strong ? If you answer yes to all, I suggest trading in your city girl car for a truck or some SUV with clearance.

JustPuttsin

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2020, 04:45:01 AM »

This is the kayak I’m looking at https://www.perceptionkayaks.com/us/kayaks/outlaw-115

Does anyone have any experience with this model?
As a sot kayak owner myself you need to ask yourself how far you are going to be paddling. I would not want to be paddling mine which is 33" wide or that one which is 35" wide for very long. Before you decide do yourself a favor and take a demo out on the water before you purchase. I have owned 12' aluminum, inflatable with hard deck, and pontoon as well. I have a 2015 Hobie Outback and just love it for lakes and the odd trip to the salt. Hope you find something that works for you as there's nothing like the quietness of sitting in a kayak trolling a lake.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2020, 09:34:10 AM »

Over here on the mainland, Western Canoe and Kayak in Abbotsford has a demo day twice a year in April and Sept when you can go to a local lake and try out a wide selection of their paddling craft. No doubt the pandemic has affected that, but perhaps a retailer on the island does something similar.

As others have mentioned, each craft has advantages and disadvantages. I like a pontoon boat as I can kick and troll with my rod in hands, and use my feed to re-position while casting or playing a fish. Don't need to alternate between rod and oar as you would with a kayak.

Fished out of a Hobie Outback on one occasion. That was the bomb.             

Barbelface

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2020, 05:19:01 PM »

Thanks for all the comments guys. I’ve finally decided on this https://www.hobie.com/kayaks/mirage-passport/

No way can I give up my “girlie city car” I like driving a sports car way too much 😂 so this is a great compromise and gives me more freedom without worrying about a paddle while playing fish.

Cheers

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2020, 08:59:02 PM »

looks very cool!
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2020, 11:22:24 AM »

Wow, you move fast! You went from pontoon, to a SOT kayak, to a Hobie all in the matter of 3 days. It would take me months to make that kind of decision. :)

Enjoy the Hobie. You will love the ability to rudder with flick of a finger, and to maneuver while not dropping your rod.     

JustPuttsin

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2020, 06:41:16 AM »

I'm sure you will be very happy with your new fishing rig. I know I have  never had any regrets in buying mine.