Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: BCWF Letter To DFO  (Read 3117 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
BCWF Letter To DFO
« on: June 27, 2020, 12:24:22 PM »

Hosted on Bob Hooton's Site:

http://steelheadvoices.com/?p=2099

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: BCWF Letter To DFO
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 06:41:09 PM »

Thats another great letter from the sender.
Does he ever get a reply?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 07:10:42 PM »

maybe something like:

" Oh pish posh Mr. Bosch!

Respectfully

Your Friends at DFO & The Ministry of Fisheries"

« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 07:57:08 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 06:45:06 AM »

Letters do nothing. Blocking train tracks and screeming like a child in Downtown Vancouver seems to work. Perhaps we can all take one day and block port access with our boats ?

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 12:38:19 PM »

Hike and fish nailed it    Have to make a splash  interrupt.. interfere... infuriate... but you have to infer who the real enemy is   Make that clear

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 05:52:17 PM »

Id rather just go fishing than protest.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 07:26:48 PM »

Id rather just go fishing than protest.

and this is why the rec anglers can not fully organize. Thank you firstlight for being the shining example of why we are losing

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 07:57:04 PM »

Letters do nothing. Blocking train tracks and screeming like a child in Downtown Vancouver seems to work. Perhaps we can all take one day and block port access with our boats ?

Describing recent protests as blocking the tracks and "screeming like a child" makes it sound like you don't understand the broader cultural significance of the moment. There are once-in-a-lifetime protest movements around the continent around race relations, policing of minorities, and the righting of historical wrongs. Describing these movements so dismissively is one of the many reasons why they exist in the first place.

That said, I can't imagine you'd find anything other than trouble by hindering port operations using your boat.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2020, 12:33:24 PM »

Describing recent protests as blocking the tracks and "screeming like a child" makes it sound like you don't understand the broader cultural significance of the moment. There are once-in-a-lifetime protest movements around the continent around race relations, policing of minorities, and the righting of historical wrongs. Describing these movements so dismissively is one of the many reasons why they exist in the first place.

That said, I can't imagine you'd find anything other than trouble by hindering port operations using your boat.

Then we sit and watch the fishery be torn from our hands fish by fish.

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2020, 12:56:32 PM »

Firstlight.  Protest is trying to keep you on the water and it may be the only way you will “Rather just be able to go and fish” In future.  First Nations and eco orgs are taking away access and soon it will be all in First Nations hands if we don’t stop this

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2020, 01:14:13 PM »

Protests like that have taken place before with, at least in the sort term,  not much result. A few years ago in Nova Scotia, Lobster fishermen protested the courts granting local FNs access to that fishery.

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/fishermen-protest-indigenous-lobster-fishery-in-southwestern-n-s-1.3590415

Before that former Conservative MP John Cummins lead a years long protest against the Fraser river FN economic opportunities initiatives with little to show for it.

I think the real problem isn't FN access or even a FN take over of fishing, it is the low number of returning salmon. Squabbling over who gets access to a rapidly diminishing resource won't fix anything.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 05:54:24 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2020, 05:12:09 PM »

Good post Ralph

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2020, 06:21:35 PM »

Protests like that have taken place before with, at least in the sort term,  not much result. A few years ago in Nova Scotia, Lobster fishermen protested the courts granting local FNs access to that fishery.

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/fishermen-protest-indigenous-lobster-fishery-in-southwestern-n-s-1.3590415

Before that former Conservative MP John Cummins lead a years long protest against the Fraser river FN economic opportunities initiatives with little to show for it.

I think the real problem isn't FN access or even a FN take over of fishing, it is the low number of returning salmon. Squabbling over who gets access to a rapidly diminishing resource won't fix anything.

Is their a solution?

If there is no public fishery and no commercial fishery. What are the odds that the goverment will spend money on a recovery plan for salmon when only 4% of the population has access?

Maybe the solution is just eating farmed salmon. I guess that’s why their still sticking around a salmon is always available at sushi restaurants.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 06:30:46 PM by wildmanyeah »

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2020, 06:57:36 PM »

Firstlight.  Protest is trying to keep you on the water and it may be the only way you will “Rather just be able to go and fish” In future.  First Nations and eco orgs are taking away access and soon it will be all in First Nations hands if we don’t stop this

I think you misunderstood me.
I mean to go and fish regardless if its open or not.
That will be my way of protest.