Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gibbs-Delta lures  (Read 5847 times)

Outbound

Gibbs-Delta lures
« on: June 24, 2020, 11:55:26 AM »

Hi all, I'm trying to support Canadian fishing companies and Gibbs lures are some of my favorites. I know they're a BC based company but I can't seem to find where these lures are made. Are they made in Canada like Len Thompson spoons or is Gibbs a Canadian company with Chinese manufacturing?

fisherforever

Re: Gibbs-Delta lures
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 01:06:08 PM »

Made in China, I have a package in my hand that is new stock

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 02:43:22 PM »

It just checked the packaging on a Mini G spoon that I have. "Designed in Canada. Made in China" 

Outbound

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 02:51:58 PM »

Thanks guys. Good to know, and kind of unfortunate really.  :'(

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 03:28:37 PM »

most blanks are made in china and then painted in canada.

Outbound

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2020, 04:33:12 PM »

most blanks are made in china and then painted in canada.

That sounds right for most companies. I guess Len Thompson is the exception. Their lures are still made entirely in Lacombe, Alberta.

http://www.lenthompson.com/our-factory.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peDzSOGTc3c&feature=emb_logo

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2020, 10:22:50 PM »

Lighthouse Lures and Gibbs. Made in China. What isn't? Chillispoons !

stsfisher

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2020, 06:11:02 AM »

Lighthouse Lures and Gibbs. Made in China. What isn't? Chillispoons !

👍@chillispoons2017 👍

Outbound

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2020, 06:55:44 AM »

👍@chillispoons2017 👍

Nice! I'll check 'em out.  8)

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2020, 07:47:48 AM »

👍@chillispoons2017 👍

Catch a lot of Salmon and Bull Char with'em. He makes very limited runs and paints maybe once or twice a year so if you them you gotta act quick !

Thats not to say that Gibbs spoons or Lighthouse lures don't catch fish because they're made in China, the quality is still there IMO but you want to support local tackle, Chillispoons is the way to go. I personally like buying from the little guy because I'll often receive some free swag AND even in the case of Lighthouse lures they are quick to send replacements for a defective product and sell directly, something that GIBBS does not do.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 07:52:30 AM by Hike_and_fish »

Cyanescens

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2020, 10:15:26 AM »

https://www.aptackleworks.com/

AP Tackleworks spoons are made on vancouver island with stainless steel

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2020, 10:19:19 AM »

--Very sad that the local companies are bought out for their "designs" then manufactured offshore...on top of that we are still charged as if they were made here. Lost decent local jobs plus local continued research into new products. BC and Washington state used to have several local manufacturers and most have disappeared...some are difficult to trace who actually now owns them. My guess if they were proudly made here they wouldn't us BUZZ words like "designed by" or "original pattern".  The offshore stuff isn't always junk but because lower prices at manufacture require large quantities, thus only larger distributors are able to purchase and supply...eventually every store has similar cooky cutter products, reduced colour options, and variations so you just have to take what is supplied rather than what you really would like. Without any worry of competition,  there is no desire for meaningful R&D and especially no interest in making regionally specific products.     

stsfisher

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2020, 11:03:46 AM »

Nice! I'll check 'em out.  8)

I will offer you this, as you had made the local comment and I would hate to be that guy sending bad info.

Chillispoons is a personal friend, he has been hand painting these spoons for many years and I have had the pleasure of R&Ding his sweet creations since he started. He does not create the blanks himself and I am unsure where he sources them from ( i could ask again) However all of the work to paint and assemble is done by himself personally, when time allows.
H&F is correct, he does very limited runs but punches out a lot of them at a time. He will do customs when asked if he has stock.

This is not a sales pitch, but yes his product catches fish. Fresh and Salt

Outbound

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2020, 12:26:34 PM »

I will offer you this, as you had made the local comment and I would hate to be that guy sending bad info.

Chillispoons is a personal friend, he has been hand painting these spoons for many years and I have had the pleasure of R&Ding his sweet creations since he started. He does not create the blanks himself and I am unsure where he sources them from ( i could ask again) However all of the work to paint and assemble is done by himself personally, when time allows.
H&F is correct, he does very limited runs but punches out a lot of them at a time. He will do customs when asked if he has stock.

This is not a sales pitch, but yes his product catches fish. Fresh and Salt

That's fair. Even if he sources his blanks offshore, at least I'd be supporting a small scale Canadian business that does most of the work in country. That means more to me than a Canadian business that does everything in China.

I'm making a list of these manufacturers and when I get back to work, I'll be getting in touch with them to place some orders. Lots of pike and bull trout in my area to catch on spoons.  ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2020, 01:38:47 PM »

GD doesn't do all of its manufacturing offshore.