Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ??? for those who have DFO's #  (Read 4834 times)

itosh

• I EAT llamas!
??? for those who have DFO's #
« on: August 09, 2004, 10:31:19 PM »

This is a question that I have wanted to ask for some time now and is not specific to just sockeye fishing, but because it is the season, I will use it in my expamples.You see an infraction while sockeye fishing and you have the # to DFO and you call them to tell them what?  
"Hi, I am at so and so bar, there is a guy in brown waders wearing a cap.  He kept a fish that was hooked in the my friend.  It was his second fish, so he went home.  Thanks.  Bye."

Or for those of you who do the "Observe, Record, Report", are you really gonna walk back to the guy's car and lose the spot that you woke up so early for, to record his LP#?  What if you are at the Scale Bar where a round trip walk will take approx. 1 hr, or if you are on a boat access only bar, are you gonna follow the guy who is in the unmarked aluminum boat back to the boat launch and record his LP#?

And finally, I'm assuming that a lot of you go fishing with at least one or two others, and that you are caucasian males.  I usually go alone or with my father who is way too old and frail to be scrappin'.  Well, I am not a caucasian male and quite honestly do not want to end up like the "hero" gas station attendant in Richmond.  If you confront the violator on the bar, the crowd mentality can go either way.  If you follow the violator to his car and you have no backup there is potential to be my smelly socks kicked.

For the record, I myself have yet to keep a foul hooked sockeye.  In the instances that I have seen a foul hooked sockeye, somebody else on the bar has piped in.  As for other river systems, I try to get away from the crowds (ie - avoid places like KWB) so I have to say that I have honestly not seen any visible infractions.  Also, I don't get out as much as some of you guys do.

Just interested in what the responses are.  I have not expressed what I would personally do, because quite honestly, I don't know what I would do.  So, nobody reading this can accuse me of breaking any rules.

Shane

Bantam_50

Re:??? for those who have DFO's #
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 10:54:01 PM »

I think my ...Laidlaw, guess nobody follows the rules ...post says it all.

itosh

• I EAT llamas!
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 12:10:26 AM »

For all you know there could be an undercover fisheries officer on the bar and you don't know about it.  I'm sure if you made the call, they'd page out the nearest officer.

And what are the chances of that happening?  If there were undercover officers, then there wouldn't be any posts like the Laidlaw one.  If you say there are a few undercovers, and I'm sure you are right,  then not many of us have seen them write up tickets.  I have not seen one and I can probably count the number of posts that have mentioned an undercover CO with one hand over the past 4 or more years.

As for giving up your spot... how desperate are you for that spot?  There will be another one opening soon enough.  You can stop a poacher, or maybe catch a fish... your choice.

How willing are YOU to become a "hero" like the gas station attendant for one fish?  For all you know, the perp could be a John Rambo type, like otto  ;) ;)(no disrespect to otto - you just seem to be a very military type, but a sane one), and have no second  thought about giving you a good boot playing'.

Shane

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 12:21:04 AM »

Call it in and let DFO handle it.  Too many loose cannons out there and you don't know who or what you are dealing with.

Bantam_50

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2004, 12:23:49 AM »

How willing are YOU to become a "hero" like the gas station attendant for one fish?  For all you know, the perp could be a John Rambo type, like otto  ;) ;)(no disrespect to otto - you just seem to be a very military type, but a sane one), and have no second  thought about giving you a good boot ****in'.

Shane

Being a hero is only an image cast on a person by society. Myself, be it one fish, a civilian or heck my dog. You do what your integrity tells you. I always sleep well.

itosh

• I EAT llamas!
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2004, 12:28:47 AM »

Call it in and let DFO handle it.  Too many loose cannons out there and you don't know who or what you are dealing with.

You cell gets no reception, so your next option must be to Observe, Record and Report?  If you don't, then you are no better than the guy who said on the Laidlaw post that he would let the guy keep the belly snagged fish.  FA are you going to follow the perp to his car?

Shane

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2004, 12:40:38 AM »

Very discretely as to avoid a confrontation
« Last Edit: August 10, 2004, 12:42:13 AM by Fish Assassin »

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2004, 07:22:00 AM »

Get the best report you can and call it in.  That's the bottom line.  Nobody is asking you to put your self at risk.  Do the best you can.  Yes, there are DFO officers at the bars.  The even spend time fishing.  Look for the guy that fishes for 1/2 an hour with out looking at the water and takes ample breaks to "rest" and look arround.  They're there and they look like you and me.