Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack and Chehalis River summer chinook salmon fisheries  (Read 42369 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Chilliwack and Chehalis River summer chinook salmon fisheries
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2020, 05:00:53 PM »

At least for the Lower Fraser tributaries, other than what was lost for a Chehalis opening in June, it seems to be pretty much the same as the last few years.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

hammer

« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2020, 05:07:39 PM »

Can someone clarify about the boundaries....For example, below the hwy7 bridge on the Harrison...what is the hatchery coho limit? Or below the dewdney hwy 7 bridge on nicomen?

Nitroholic

« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2020, 05:50:42 PM »

no bonking coho on the chehalis or vedder until september, also reduced summer chinook from 4 (2 over 50) to 1 over 62 on the chehalis.

Aki

« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2020, 07:32:54 PM »

Excellent.... :)... will hopefully spread the fishers around a bit especially on the tiny Chehalis until September...nice to have some chum openings as well...

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2020, 08:07:26 PM »

Chilliwack/ Vedder:

"Management measures - Chinook salmon:
Effective July 1, 2020 to August 31, 2020:
- The daily limit for Chinook salmon is one (1) per day.
Effective September 1, 2020 to December 31, 2020:
- The daily limit for Chinook salmon is four (4) per day, only two over 62 cm."

it's the same for the Chehalis and I think, IIRC, that is what is was in previous years.

The summer closure on coho for the chehalis may reflect that DFO has finally recognized there is a small summer run there.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2020, 09:36:26 PM »

I've never caught a coho in August on the Vedder, but I know it happens - now I guess we can't keep one if we are so lucky.  Also, there have been plenty of chum in the Vedder in September, so pushing back retention to October 1 doesn't make much sense to me unless there is a specific reason they are trying to protect these early fish.

Reducing the summer chinook fisheries to 1 fish per day should help thin out the crowds a bit - at least people won't have a reason to stay after they get one.

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2020, 10:59:06 PM »

The regulations mean retention only. ,  in both systems (chehay/ vedder) You can still fish after u kill your one spring a day!  Vedder has sockeye.  Chehay summer runs even though guys basically keep hooking springs for the fun of it !  Let’s hope ol Covid brings rivers full of fish this year?  Has to be some silver lining to this shite

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2020, 11:05:48 PM »

At least for the Lower Fraser tributaries, other than what was lost for a Chehalis opening in June, it seems to be pretty much the same as the last few years.

Ralph. Ever since the hatchery channel lost its source water from the main river ,  the June summer runs basically raced into the canyon Nary to be seen again till a few smart anglers found the schools up near the lake !  That fishery is one of my hugest losses as a local angler I’ve experienced

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2020, 06:32:08 AM »

Can someone clarify about the boundaries....For example, below the hwy7 bridge on the Harrison...what is the hatchery coho limit? Or below the dewdney hwy 7 bridge on nicomen?

I think its clear as mud. Its no different than before. The boundaries have always been the same

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2020, 08:39:47 AM »

Ralph. Ever since the hatchery channel lost its source water from the main river ,  the June summer runs basically raced into the canyon Nary to be seen again till a few smart anglers found the schools up near the lake !  That fishery is one of my hugest losses as a local angler I’ve experienced

Sorry to hear that. I know the river flow changes near the hatchery hampered or removed a lot of fishery opportunities but it has nothing to with the salmon regulation review.

Aki

« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2020, 06:32:20 PM »

There is a slight error in the summary regulations for Chinook fishing on the Chehalis River: there is a gap for Chinook fishing from September 1 to September 29: one Chinook per day up to August 31 is allowed and four Chinook per day is allowed from September 30th (gap from September 1 to 29).

https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region2-eng.html

If you read the actual Fishery Notice FN0579 (click on the link in the summary regulations) it shows the correct number from September 1.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2020, 07:13:46 PM »

All the other non Fraser openings for Region 2 are now posted in the Sport Fishing Guide. I couldn't spot any changes from 2019/20.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 10:33:15 PM by RalphH »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2020, 08:42:17 PM »

There is a slight error in the summary regulations for Chinook fishing on the Chehalis River: there is a gap for Chinook fishing from September 1 to September 29: one Chinook per day up to August 31 is allowed and four Chinook per day is allowed from September 30th (gap from September 1 to 29).

If you read the actual Fishery Notice FN0579 (click on the link in the summary regulations) it shows the correct number from September 1.

I'll send that in to get it changed.

Could be worse, it could have said December 30th to December 31st. ;)

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2020, 02:42:54 AM »

Was there today ( Chehalis)and what’s abundantly clear is The river is dying a slow death to sports fishing! Traditionally a slow period late June but to not see smolt schools or resident trout or any fish tells me predation amongst these classes is rampant and probably a good source of the recent declines in adult stocks! At least mosquitoes are still thriving

hammer

« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2020, 10:29:47 PM »

Cammer,
What do you mean predation amongst classes is rampant?
June used to be a wonderful time to fish on that river. That has long since passed