Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder River Under Attack again  (Read 10407 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Vedder River Under Attack again
« on: May 26, 2020, 02:09:57 PM »

It is good to be a small park of this committee with 4 others on the stewardship group who have spent many hours on this file and other years as well attempting to protect the habitat and fish stocks of our river. The last time gravel and sediment was taken out was in 2016 and the picture in this story was one I took when gravel was last taken out. We had a good Zoom meeting with FOC today too. Global may do a story this week as well.

https://www.theprogress.com/news/potential-for-gravel-removal-this-summer-in-chilliwack-has-riled-river-stewards/

fisherforever

Re: Vedder River Under Attack again
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 02:51:06 PM »

Yup, just another money grab for some politicians buddies. If they want to do this for flood protection take it from the canal, make the whole canal 20' deep right out to the mouth

dobrolub

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 02:51:31 PM »

if there is a petition we could sign please post a link here.

stsfisher

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 03:16:59 PM »

Yup, just another money grab for some politicians buddies. If they want to do this for flood protection take it from the canal, make the whole canal 20' deep right out to the mouth

Bang on x2

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 04:39:08 PM »

if there is a petition we could sign please post a link here.
No we have not at this time but here is the full letter we have sent to all 3 levels of government and many others, a lot of work has been put into this including a lot of Zoom meetings with many.

The Honourable Bernadette Jordan, Minister of Fisheries, Oceans and Canadian Coast
Guard, Canada
The Honourable Doug Donaldson, BC Minister of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource
Operations and Rural Development
Mayor Ken Popove and Council, City of Chilliwack
Mayor Henry Braun and Council, City of Abbotsford
Mr. Ted White, Comptroller of Water, Victoria
Re: Proposed Gravel Removal for the Vedder River and Canal 2020
Dear Sirs and Madams:
I am writing on behalf of our group, the Gravel Stewardship Group, to express our
concerns regarding plans being put forward by the City of Chilliwack to remove gravel
from the Vedder River and Canal in Chilliwack, British Columbia this coming summer
(2020).
The 2020 gravel removal plan was initiated by the City of Chilliwack and vetted last
week (May, 2020) through the Vedder River Management Area Committee (VRMAC), a
joint body comprised of the City of Chilliwack, City of Abbotsford, Province of BC, and
federal Department of Fisheries and Ocean Canada. The VRMAC is a group charged
with the responsibility of removing gravel for the purpose of flood protection.
I am a member of the VRMAC and represent several stewardship and angling groups,
including the Fraser Valley Salmon Society. I attended this meeting and I was not
impressed as to the outcome. Hence this letter.
This project is ostensibly for flood protection. However, it is the opinion of the group that
I am representing that, based on all of the technical information being made available in
support of this proposal by the City of Chilliwack, there is no discernible merit for this
proposal particularly when balanced off with the environmental damage that it will cause.
The 2020 plan by the City of Chilliwack is to remove up to 95,000 cubic meters of gravel
from eight sites from the Vedder River and Canal. This is an operation that would
significantly harm, alter, disrupt and destroy sensitive fish habitat in one of British
Columbia’s most important salmon and steelhead streams. Notwithstanding our opinion,
we note that the environmental report for this project is largely deficient in quantifying
habitat values, the damage that this project would cause, and any appropriate fisheries
offsets as required under the Canada Fisheries Act legislation.
The purported immediate flood-reduction benefits, which relate to freeboard concerns at
just one short area of dike (Great Blue Heron Reserve) are tiny and will amount to just
6.2 cm (2.4 inches) over a vertical flood elevation of streambed-to-top-of-dike of 8.5 m
(28 ft.). Moreover, the water surface elevation has been naturally declining, mostly
stable, or only slightly rising from 2018-2020. This is a normal condition for gravelbedded streams and does not indicate any real concern for the need to take large volumes
of gravel out since we already know that the Vedder River is currently in a naturally
degrading mode.
Thus, this proposal is not an acceptable trade-off considering the large-scale damage to
the aquatic ecosystem that we believe this project will cause.
This 2020 gravel removal project is being proposed despite the fact that even in 2018,
which was the last year that this action was previously contemplated, removal operations
were cancelled when it was realized then that the river was degrading due to a lack of
gravel deposition.
Since then, the stream has now extensively lost even more gravel on its own accord due
to natural erosion processes. For example, the Vedder River portion of the floodway has
undergone a state of extensive losses between 2018 and 2020, losing 50,000 cubic
meters of critical spawning and rearing gravels during the interim period. Moreover, the
Vedder Canal has naturally eroded compared to the 2016 bed levels as well. Also, there
have been large-scale historic losses in both portions of the floodway management area
compared to the baseline years of 1981 and 1991, respectively.
Let me emphasize: The stewardship groups I represent are not against gravel removal per
se from the Vedder River provided there is a demonstrable benefit to lowering the flood
profile where it is legitimately required, and where environmental damage can be
reasonably mitigated.
I have attached for your review, our overview of the 2020 Vedder River and Canal
Hydraulic Profile provided to the VRMAC by the environmental engineers, KWL
consultants. The information in this report was used by the City of Chilliwack to provide
the rational to mine the gravel but our re-assessment of the information provided shows
that the City does not have a reasonable argument for removal.
The KWL report of modelled water surface flood profiles show that under the criteria that
the provincial agencies use for flood protection, the surrounding areas are well protected
within the guidelines set by the Provincial diking authorities with the small and modest
exception of one area (1.7% of the total dike length). Here, on the Right Bank dike, at
the Great Blue Heron Reserve, there is now an historical lack of design freeboard
capacity (0.75 m) because of higher risk-averse standards that have been implemented
since the dike was constructed many years ago.
It is also important to recognize that this 2020 proposal is in direct contradiction to the
City of Chilliwack’s publicly stated positions in 2017 and 2018 when the riverbed was
also seen to be dropping naturally, and where the agencies deemed there was no need to
take any gravel out at that time.
Indeed, Chilliwack’s Manager of Engineering, David Blain, was quoted in the Chilliwack
Progress on May 14, 2018: “There haven’t been any really big storms for several years,
which will move large amounts of material into the river…Over the last two years in
particular there was no need to take any out. We only take it out to protect against
flooding, so if no gravel comes in, there is no reason to take it out.” (my emphasis).
Moreover, the City of Chilliwack has repeatedly stated, in a November 27, 2017 meeting
with the stewardship folks on this issue, that they would not take gravel out of the
floodway if not required.
It is very concerning that the City is now going back on its stated words.
We are also very concerned with regards to the lack of transparency that the City of
Chilliwack has given us. This year, we were given the relative information being used to
make this decision only 24 hours before the VRMAC met in May 2020 despite the fact
that we first asked for this information back in February 2020. Based on this fact alone, it
is clear to us that the City of Chilliwack has little interest in fulfilling their commitments
and promises to British Columbian to engage in an open and collaborative approach.
I respectfully request that the authorizing Ministers emphasize to your regulatory staff the
importance of protecting fish, fish habitat under their respective environmental legislations.
Moreover, you are certainly aware of the significance of the economic and recreational
value this river provides to our community and to thousands of fishers from across the
entire Lower Mainland and elsewhere. These statutes should protect against capricious and
inappropriate removal of gravel where it is not warranted for flood protection.
Thus, we are asking that the regulatory agencies including BC FLNRORD (under the
Water Sustainability Act Section 11) and Fisheries and Oceans Canada, (under the federal
Fisheries Act Section 35) refuse to grant the necessary permits for this damaging gravel
removal project for 2020.
Thank-you for the opportunity to bring this concern to your attention. I look forward to
your responses.
Sincerely,
Dean Werk
President, Fraser Valley Salmon Society (est. 1984)

arimaBOATER

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 07:52:49 PM »

Very well written letter.
They want to remove gravel from 8 areas. 95,000 cu meters.
Is this about 1/2 km x 8 areas ...how much are we talking here?

But regardless it does not seem to have any need to take out the gravel.
If I read right only one area the dike should be higher .

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 08:29:42 PM »

Very well written letter.
They want to remove gravel from 8 areas. 95,000 cu meters.
Is this about 1/2 km x 8 areas ...how much are we talking here?

But regardless it does not seem to have any need to take out the gravel.
If I read right only one area the dike should be higher .
Here is a lot of reading for you.http://www.vedderriver.ca/reports/16_2020_Vedder_River_and_Canal_Hydraulic_Profile_May_7_KWL%20presentation.pdf

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 10:51:49 PM »

This has and continues to be nothing more then a money grab. A cub of gravel
Goes For for about 6 to 10 Bucks so do the math on that. 

They also happen to only do this when the
Prices are high. Sand sources are Getting harder and harder To come By.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 10:55:48 PM by wildmanyeah »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 09:02:33 AM »

Global TV has contacted us to cover this story too, I will let you know when it airs.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 10:09:04 AM »

while I can understand why this would be suggested it won't provide any sort of flood remediation. When the Fraser is lower the Canal is subject to tidal influence. That means it has about the same basal level as the river. Dig it down 20 feet and it will become a backwater for the Fraser and fill with it's water. In the event of a flood it just increases the risk higher up since the water has no where to go when it hits the canal.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 10:58:23 AM »

With the recent damage to the Rotary trail at the Vedder River Campground from high water, I can see the economic need for a large area from app Webster Road to the campground, south side of the river, being rip rapped very soon. This will lead to even more degradation of the limited rearing area for steelhead and coho.

I know I will be flamed for this but IMO the sad reality is the lower Vedder, apart from the man made off channel areas, is poor salmonid rearing habitat, and gravel removal, as it is currently practiced, will have limited impacts on the spawning areas currently available for chum and pinks.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 12:16:29 PM »

With the recent damage to the Rotary trail at the Vedder River Campground from high water, I can see the economic need for a large area from app Webster Road to the campground, south side of the river, being rip rapped very soon. This will lead to even more degradation of the limited rearing area for steelhead and coho.

I know I will be flamed for this but IMO the sad reality is the lower Vedder, apart from the man made off channel areas, is poor salmonid rearing habitat, and gravel removal, as it is currently practiced, will have limited impacts on the spawning areas currently available for chum and pinks.

Found this on the web why gravel extraction is bad for fish and the river. Comments on this Dave?

"Gravel is usually extracted from rivers and burns in an attempt to increase the flow of the river by deepening or widening the channel, to deepen shallow zones for fish movement, or simply to provide gravel for road or other building work. Movement of gravel within a river system is a vital natural process. Gravel extraction will therefore inevitably have knock-on effects and can be extremely damaging, resulting in increased erosion in other parts of the river and causing direct disturbance and damage to aquatic environments.

Upsetting the width:depth ratio of the watercourse will result in increased erosion elsewhere, both upstream and downstream. Areas from which gravel has been extracted rapidly refill as the river tries to restore its balance. Gravel also often constitutes the coarse armouring layer of the river bed. Once removed, the fine sediments underneath may erode very rapidly, and then be deposited elsewhere downstream.

Release of fine sediment into watercourses can cause serious pollution. Fish are particularly affected, as their gills become clogged up with the sediment. The sediment can also damage invertebrate habitats and spawning beds.

Removal of gravel at any time may destroy spawning beds, and could wipe out a whole seasons potential young fish supply. Also, any emergent vegetation developing on the river bed will be lost, and recolonisation will be slowed by river deepening and loss of bed material."

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2020, 01:13:25 PM »

All of the above is true, no denying it.  What Marvin wrote is also true, every word of it. What isn't being mentioned is this loss of habitat on the lower river has been happening for many years, wild fish stocks are near zero, and basically it is too late to save the mainstem river as anything more than good spawning gravel for pinks and chum, and a quality area for sports fishing.

Juvenile steelhead are counted, I believe annually, throughout the entire river system - data shows the lower river to be the poorest for rearing of wild fish, and when was the last time you saw a juvenile coho in the mainstem lower river?

I believe the entire  lower river will soon be armored on both banks, leaving off channel areas the best option for rearing wild salmonids in this area. The effort you guys have put in is amazing but perhaps it's time for a different tactic ..  maybe lobby for whoever is making money on this project to donate a portion of the profits to the Fraser Valley Watersheds Coalition, who will work to mitigate the loss with further off channel work.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2020, 01:31:39 PM »

Gravel removal and flood mitigation work has wiped out 2 of my favorite winter cutthroat spots on the Fraser near the Agassiz Bridge.

In one case gravel removal caused a side channel to shift during the freshet and gouged away large gravel bars leaving step inaccessible banks and no beach. It amazed me how just what looked to modest removal could lead to such a large and altered spring erosion pattern.

In the other an existing dike was rip rapped with huge boulders the size of a sub compact car compete with massive gaps between the rock. Existing access was destroyed and not replaced. I'm not about to try scrambling down the boulders at this stage of my life.

In both cases a km and more of fishable water that not only produced trout but also bull trout, pinks and even the odd winter steelhead is lost or no longer accessible to shore bound anglers.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2020, 02:30:43 PM »

maybe lobby for whoever is making money on this project to donate a portion of the profits to the Fraser Valley Watersheds Coalition, who will work to mitigate the loss with further off channel work.

I believe its the City of Chilliwack,