Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some stocked lakes switching from Pennask to Blackwater strains  (Read 2682 times)

Robert_G

I've been looking closely at some of the stocking and noticed some changes in the last year....especially around the Princeton/Merrit area.
Some lakes up until and including 2018 were stocked with Pennask strains have switched over in 2019 to Blackwater strains. Interesting that many of these lakes that underwent these changes are under 4000 ft.
I know Pennasks thrive in fertile interior higher elevation lakes....if this is the reason....why are they only just doing these changes now?

Thoughts?

Old Blue

Re: Some stocked lakes switching from Pennask to Blackwater strains
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 10:40:42 PM »

Blackwaters eat baitfish and ice fisherman keep introducing them to lakes in the area.

Robert_G

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 07:57:17 AM »

Blackwaters eat baitfish and ice fisherman keep introducing them to lakes in the area.

Interesting, but most of these lakes are pure rainbows.....no course fish in them

poper

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 10:06:47 AM »

I have never seen anyone using live minnows, but do hear all the time that’s why there in lakes.

hammer

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 07:09:45 PM »

Robert,
I noticed that too. I know one of the original intentions, as stated, was to utilize course fish in lakes like Courtney. I am wondering why they are using them instead of pennasks. I have caught quite a few black waters, some big specimens, but I will alway equate the Merrit to Kamloops region with Pennasks ...what I deem to be the “Kamloops” trout. All things being equal, I prefer Pennasks...

Robert_G

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 08:22:35 PM »

Robert,
I noticed that too. I know one of the original intentions, as stated, was to utilize course fish in lakes like Courtney. I am wondering why they are using them instead of pennasks. I have caught quite a few black waters, some big specimens, but I will alway equate the Merrit to Kamloops region with Pennasks ...what I deem to be the “Kamloops” trout. All things being equal, I prefer Pennasks...

Agreed. Pennasks are chronomide crazy.....Blackwaters?....depends on the day.

Im going to a lake this week that Ive been chronomide fishing for years that have always been stocked with Pennasks. Last year it was stocked with Blackwaters. Im wondering if Im going to need a new strategy when i get on the lake.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 09:22:02 PM »

The switch from Blackwaters to Pennasks for some lakes in the couple of years is an inventory issue and only temporary. You should see it returning to the original stocking strategy.

Robert_G

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 08:57:17 PM »

The switch from Blackwaters to Pennasks for some lakes in the couple of years is an inventory issue and only temporary. You should see it returning to the original stocking strategy.

Interesting. I've never heard of the Pennask egg station having a shortage, but who knows...….anyways....glad they will be returning to Pennask stocks in my favorite lakes.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 08:58:45 PM »

it's a progressive left conspiracy theory.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Robert_G

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2020, 09:01:09 PM »

it's a progressive left conspiracy theory.

You get mad at me when I go off topic....so I partake in a sensible fish stocking topic and you say dumb crap like this.
This is how one loses his credibility.