Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Repair to Simms boots  (Read 3257 times)

santefe

Repair to Simms boots
« on: March 18, 2020, 09:01:22 PM »

Have just notices that the soles at the toe are starting to delaminate.
Is there anyone local that can repair them.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Re: Repair to Simms boots
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 11:17:47 AM »

If you have the glue and desire to do yourself not that hard. Where the sole is delaminating give it a good clean out with soap and water. Get in there with an old toothbrush and get out all dirt and grit. Let boots dry completely. Wear nitrile gloves as no matter how much to plan to not get glue on your hands you WILL get glue on your hands. Now apply a good layer of your adhesive of choice on both sides where the sole is delaminating. Careful not too apply too much or else it will ooze everywhere when you clamp the boot at the end. I like contact cement for this job but 2-part epoxy, gorilla glue, aqua seal and many other adhesives will work fine.

Once you are happy with the application of your adhesive you are likely (unless your adhesive sets immediately) going to need to clamp it in place. For this I use 2 pieces of small scrap wood and a 2 large C-clamps. Or use whatever you got that will work. Some ingenuity may be required here. Also good to note that it is not a bad idea to make sure your clamp system will work BEFORE you apply the adhesive.

Once your adhesive is dry and cured the boots should be good to go. I've had the felt or rubber soles start to peel on many pairs of wading boots and have fixed the soles each time using this method.

Or, if you have no desire to fix yourself then I would bring them to Kevin at Express Reel of No.3rd exit. His address and phone number are on his business website if you google him. Kevin is top notch and his prices are very fair. In addition to fishing reel repair he does wader and boot repair, along with wading boot resoling if your felts are worn out.   

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 04:08:58 PM »

Take them to a cobbler.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 06:38:27 PM »

Simms used to list recommended shoe repair shops to replace Vibram & felt soles on their website. I had felt soles done by Express many years back and it was a good job.

I have had New West Cobbler www.newwestcobbler.com recommended by local tackle shops.

If you need Vibram soles replace you may have to order them from Simms then take them to a shop
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

santefe

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 06:56:18 PM »

Thanks, I'll check my tools for clamps and do a dry run before I try glueing myself.  If not will go to probably the Cobbler in New West.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 07:20:45 PM »

New West Cobbler is the man! Been to him several times over the years and he does great work. Highly recommend :D

santefe

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2020, 08:44:14 PM »

I went to New West Cobbler, glad I did.  Same day service and a good job.  Highly recommend him.