Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mosaic Blocks Lake Stocking Access  (Read 2572 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
Mosaic Blocks Lake Stocking Access
« on: March 14, 2020, 11:18:14 AM »

From the Campbell River Mirror:

So much for being a "good corporate neighbor" as they like to tout.

After the Douglas Lake Ranch Appeal is dismissed, they will be in for a painful surprise.

Just a note: I posted this on their Facebook page asking for an explanation. They nuked it immediately, and kicked me off their page. Nice eh?

Nog

Novabonker

• Old Timer
Re: Mosaic Blocks Lake Stocking Access
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 04:44:28 PM »

I don't see who has denied access.to the area. Could  you clarify that please.
http://

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2020, 04:47:59 PM »

I don't see who has denied access.to the area. Could  you clarify that please.

Mosaic Forest Land Management.
A conglomeration of the two largest forest companies on the Island.

Nog

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2020, 04:50:56 PM »

Time to pea on their cornflakes just like Douglas Lake ranch. Are these public lands or private? Not that it should matter.
http://

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2020, 04:54:16 PM »

Time to pea on their cornflakes just like Douglas Lake ranch. Are these public lands or private? Not that it should matter.

The peeing is being organized as we speak. They are in for a rather painful comeuppance methinks.

Lands are a mix of both. But they have blocked access to stocked lakes (sound familiar?) public lands (including Parks) and emergency routes on the Island.

Enough.

Nog

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2020, 05:06:00 PM »

Those lakes are echos from my distant youth.   Caught my very first fish from Wolf Lake from an old trestle on the south east end of the lake that dated from the time of logging by railway.

There used to be limited weekend access via the private logging roads but also frequently locked gates.  When the NDP first came to power, Dave Barrett, bless his soul, insisted that that the public should have access to all public land unless active logging made that impractical.  He made it stick and there was good access for quite a few years and then a long slide back to the private fiefdom mentality started.  Looks like we are there.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2020, 12:23:25 PM »

So  ??? Gold River HWY .28 that runs along Echo Lake is a private highway  ???. Did the Canadian tax payer build that highway or did this log stripping company pay for it . Pretty sad situation .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2020, 10:00:18 PM »

Some reports are that following the months long labour dispute there, the roads have not been serviced and are in bad shape. They may be closed as they are impassible.

I also wonder did the reporter with the Campbell River contact Mosaic for their POV on the situation?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2020, 10:15:53 AM »

Posted by a fellow in the Fly Fishing Forum:

I have been reading this post and decided to check in with the Freshwater Society of BC to see what information I could get. This is the response I received.

"Thank you for your message.

Yes, we are currently unable to stock some of the lakes. The Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development manages the lakes in B.C. and decides which lakes to stock, the species and the number of fish to stock. The Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC is a contractor to the government, and delivers the stocking program under direction from the Ministry. The Ministry is currently in discussions with Mosaic Forest Management regarding an agreement where public access to the lakes, or some of the lakes, can be restored. We do not have any further information at this time; or recommendations for how the public can be involved. At this stage, we will need to wait and see what the outcomes of the discussions are. We have expressed that there is a limited time window available for the Society to complete spring stockings, so both parties are aware of the timeline.

Thanks,
Jess
Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC"