Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Gitxsan Flex Their Muscles & Close The Skeena  (Read 4708 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
The Gitxsan Flex Their Muscles & Close The Skeena
« on: March 04, 2020, 02:09:56 PM »

With spotlight on Indigenous rights, Gitxsan Nation assert control over sport fishing

The Gitxsan want the province to stop issuing permits for sport fishing , and warn that fishermen will be treated as trespassers within their traditional territory

https://headtopics.com/ca/with-spotlight-on-indigenous-rights-gitxsan-nation-assert-control-over-sport-fishing-11641680

avid angler

Re: The Gitxsan Flex Their Muscles & Close The Skeena
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 04:50:22 PM »

Didn’t they unsuccessfully try this same garbage last year?

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 05:07:51 PM »

Give em an inch and theyll take the whole country.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 08:16:27 PM »

in past years has their been confrontations? i do not fish the area so i don't know. still haven't had a chance to visit that area and its defiantly on my to do list. 

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 09:55:27 PM »

Didn’t they unsuccessfully try this same garbage last year?

this is the 3rd or 4th year in a row. AFAIK there has been no confrontations between Gitxsan and anglers in the last couple of years - but then the river was closed to angling by DFO for much of the season in any event.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

redside1

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2020, 10:21:16 AM »

They are pushing harder this year though, Check out their proposed regulation changes to the province

https://steelheadvoices.com/?p=1957

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2020, 10:30:04 AM »

If you recall the Provence formally adopted UNDRIP late last year. I’ve been told all departments in the ministry have been told to take it very serious.

chironomidking

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2020, 01:59:57 PM »

If you recall the Provence formally adopted UNDRIP late last year. I’ve been told all departments in the ministry have been told to take it very serious.

This does not sound like a basis for reconciliation which is defined as the "restoration of friendly relations" or "the action of making one view or belief compatible with another".

“They’re breaking the law by playing with fish, we don’t play with fish, it’s against our culture,” Chief Brian Williams, who also takes the name Simogyat Gwiiyeehl, said in an interview. “When we go fishing, we fish for a reason, and that’s to put food on our table.” He said they are prepared to seize fishing equipment from anglers who won’t respect their ban.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2020, 02:15:13 PM »

I said Undrip, The provence was the dumb ones that signed the legislation...they made the bed ...Clearly indigenous knowledge/culture is against the practice of catch and release.

"Recognizing the urgent need to respect and
promote the inherent rights of indigenous peoples which derive from their political, economic
and social structures and from their cultures,
spiritual traditions, histories and philosophies,
especially their rights to their lands, territories
and resources,"

"Recognizing that respect for indigenous knowledge, cultures and traditional practices contributes to sustainable and equitable development
and proper management of the environment,"

"On November 26th the Province of BC adopted the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP) into legislation. BC is the first province to commit to aligning its laws with UNDRIP. This legislation is the first steps towards the meaningful implementation of UNDRIP"
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 02:23:55 PM by wildmanyeah »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2020, 08:40:59 PM »

On October 22, 2018 and April 29, 2019, the Gitxsan First Nation issued a press release and letter to FLNRORD and the Department of Fisheries and
Important Notice for anglers in the Skeena River watershed -2019/2020 season

On October 22, 2018 and April 29, 2019, the Gitxsan First Nation issued a press release and letter to FLNRORD and the Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada indicating that the Skeena watershed is closed to recreational fishing for the upcoming 2019 season.

The B.C. government shares the Gitxsan First Nation's interest regarding salmon conservation in the Skeena River watershed.

Recreational fishing licences for salmon in B.C. are authorized by Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO). The ministry regulates the freshwater fishery, including steelhead, trout and char.

Until further notice, angling licences sold by the Province for freshwater species remain valid. Any changes or updates will be posted here

Fishery management decisions are made on the best available science, with conservation and sustainability being the top priority, followed by First Nations' food, social and ceremonial needs, then recreational opportunities.

Based on the best available science at this point in the season, steelhead, trout and char in the Skeena watershed can support recreational fishing as per management measures in the Freshwater Fishing Regulations Synopsis.

Staff from the Province of B.C. are working with the Gitxsan to better understand their concerns and see what can be done together. For reference, a map of Gitxsan traditional territory can be found here.

Please respect First Nations rights and perspectives and seek permission before crossing Indian Reserve lands.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2020, 09:24:30 PM »

WildmanYeah, please spell it correctly - it's the Province as in the Province of BC. Provence is the southeastern part of France immediately close to the Mediterranean Sea.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 09:26:17 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2020, 09:47:49 PM »

Lol always a pleasure to get user your skin relph

I don’t recognize this colonial government or the way it wants to spell its name. I’m on the traditional territories of the Salish sea people’s.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 10:05:11 PM by wildmanyeah »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2020, 06:50:25 AM »

Lol always a pleasure to get user your skin relph

I don’t recognize this colonial government or the way it wants to spell its name. I’m on the traditional territories of the Salish sea people’s.

;D... sorry if you took offense.