Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack's All About Fishing, Saturday March 14th 2020  (Read 4637 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Chilliwack's All About Fishing, Saturday March 14th 2020
« on: February 12, 2020, 04:52:09 PM »

Website: http://www.fishingwithrod.com/all-about-fishing/index.html

Facebook event page for RSVP: https://www.facebook.com/events/507664666535258/

This will be the fourth year I'm hosting this event. The usual main features are the learn to fish section, fly casting and tying workshops, used fishing tackle sale/swap meet, arts & crafts and games for kids, a live presentation stage.

Chilliwack Salmon Hatchery, Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery (FFSBC/Go Fish BC), DFO officers, conservation officers, Hope Search and Rescue will have a section where you can get information on hatchery productions, safety when accessing the Chilliwack/Vedder watershed, fishery violations and compliance, etc. There'll be a few aquariums with steelhead, juvenile salmon, trout and char, possibly some other native minnow and sculpin species. I believe DFO officers are bringing their boat this year too.

Region 2 biologists will have a section set up where you'll have an opportunity to provide feedbacks and getting information on some of the proposals like seasonal white sturgeon fishing closures, hatchery steelhead program in the Fraser Valley.

New this year, I've been trying to create a platform where there'd be more transparency between the academic research groups and recreational fishing sectors. I've invited students from Scott Hinch's lab at UBC, Steven Cooke's lab at Carleton University to be at the event so they can present some of the current ongoing studies. There are several interesting ones which are very relevant to what's going on right now. One is the catch and release survival of saltwater recreationally caught chinook and coho salmon. Another one is the re-establishment of habitats in the Lower Fraser estuary for juvenile salmon that are not ready to go into the ocean. My colleague Dennis Zimmerman from the Cooke's lab has a new initiative called "Respect for Fish" which talks about mandatory and voluntary catch and release practices, and how they may conflict with First Nations' values. I've also invited Marvin Rosenau and Mark Angelo from BCIT to talk about "Heart of the Fraser", which will most likely be shown on the big screen during the show.

There will be a watershed stewardship section at the show. Groups attending include Fraser Valley Watersheds Coalition, Watershed Watch Coalition, Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Society, Great Blue Heron Nature Reserve, Fraser Basin Council, Critter Care Wildlife Society, Fraser Riverkeepers, Steelhead Society of BC. If you belong to a group and would like to participate, let me know please.

BC Federation of Drift Fishers, BC Wildlife federation, Chilliwack Fish and Games Club will be hosting a series of learn to fish workshops, from trout fishing in lakes to river fishing for salmon and steelhead.

The fly fishing section will be hosted by BC Federation of Fly Fishers (Loons and Ospreys). Willie Holmes from Loop Tackle and Peter Caverhill will be demonstrating fly casting. Both clubs, as well as BC Women's Fly Fishing Group which Gill from Highwater and Kat from M&Y formed, will be offering fly tying workshops.

The used fishing tackle sale and swap meet is being run by the Fraser Valley Salmon Society. Sellers, if you'd like to reserve a table, please email me at info@fishingwithrod.com. This was a very popular section last year and we are expecting more vendors this year.

This is a FREE event. Everyone who comes to the event will be entered into a draw for some great draw prizes. If anyone who wishes to volunteer, please email me at info@fishingwithrod.com or reply to this thread. I'm looking for individuals to help out on and off throughout the event, but I'm also looking for people with fresh new ideas who would like to set up a booth to teach a particular fishing technique.

I hope many of you will be able to come out and bring your family and friends. While this event will be fun and entertaining for a lot of new anglers, it is a great (probably the only) opportunity you will be able to engage in face-to-face conversations with those who work in fisheries, researchers, advocates, fishing buddies under one roof. I do believe this process is how shared values are recognized, understood and appreciated so people can collectively tackle the fishery challenges we are seeing in the Lower Fraser right now.

This event is sponsored by Tourism Chilliwack, Fred's Custom Tackle, FFSBC, Gibbs Delta Tackle, Fishing with Rod.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Chilliwack's All About Fishing, Saturday March 14th 2020
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 12:45:39 PM »

Fraser Valley Salmon Society's used fishing tackle sale is back again at this year's Chilliwack's All About Fishing on Saturday March 14th. Sellers, if you'd like to get a table or two, please email me at info@fishingwithrod.com and we can sort out the payment etc. You can also pay and reserve your tables at Chilliwack Dart and Tackle. It's $40/table.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 01:51:40 AM »

Around ten tables having been spoken for at the used fishing tackle sale now. Email me if you would like to reserve a table. Once we reach 20 tables we'll most likely cut off as space is limited so get them while you can.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 01:44:41 AM »

Bump.

Don Campbell will be at the used tackle sale once again.

Rod Toth has donated a $150 Bent Rods winter steelhead jig pack for our give-away. Everyone who comes to the event will be entered into the draw.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 10:41:06 AM »

Unfortunately due to Covid-19, the event on Saturday is canceled.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 12:22:40 PM »

I'm very sorry to hear that, Rodney. That must be disappointing to all concerned, especially you and other organizers given all the work you have put into it.

I was texting my DIL earlier this morning to confirm her interest and was wondering to myself "I wonder if they have entertained cancelling..."

The show would have been the perfect opportunity to introduce her to all different kinds of fish and fishing methods and nurture the interest that she is developing.

I look forward to the next one...if you are still up to it!  :)         

obie1fish

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 04:18:42 PM »

So sorry to hear. I was talking with some young teens who were interested. It's a good call. Stay safe everyone.

fisherforever

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2020, 04:33:10 PM »

Who cancelled the show? Here's a copy of a letter received from Chilliwack Heritage park manager today and this is regarding the 2 day gun show next weekend.
To our valued clients:

At Chilliwack Heritage Park, we're working closely with industry partners to monitor
developments relating to COVID-19, and are regularly reviewing updates from
provincial, Canadian and global health authorities.
The health and safety of our guests, clients and team is a top priority for us. At Heritage
Park, we pride ourselves in the cleanliness of the facility and grounds. ln the wake of
the COVID-19 outbreak, we have taken additional precautionary measures to enhance
the cleanliness and sanitization of the facility, including the on-going sanitizing of
high{ouch areas. We are also ensuring that our staff members stay home if they are not
feeling well.
Based on the information that we have received from various agencies and our own
preparedness, we are confident that Chilliwack Heritage Park can continue to be a safe
environment and We remain open for business.
We will continue to update you should things change. ln the meantime, should you have
any questions, please feel free to call me at 604-858-8121 or email me at
amacedo@Qhi lliwackhe ritaqepark. com
Thank you. We are here to assist you in any way that we can.

Sincerely,
4ua /(aor/o
Ana Macedo
Manager,
Chilliwack Heritage Park

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2020, 04:44:45 PM »

Things are changing hour by hour. I suspect the gun show will be cancelled soon, too :/

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-recommends-against-all-non-essential-travel-outside-of-canada-as-7-new-cases-of-covid-19-detected-1.5495811

"With that announcement, provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry is recommending against all non-essential travel outside of Canada, and calling for the cancellation of any gatherings of more than 250 people."

I'm sorry, Rod. It sucks considering the amount of work put in so far by everyone involved.

Who cancelled the show? Here's a copy of a letter received from Chilliwack Heritage park manager today and this is regarding the 2 day gun show next weekend.
To our valued clients:

At Chilliwack Heritage Park, we're working closely with industry partners to monitor
developments relating to COVID-19, and are regularly reviewing updates from
provincial, Canadian and global health authorities.
The health and safety of our guests, clients and team is a top priority for us. At Heritage
Park, we pride ourselves in the cleanliness of the facility and grounds. ln the wake of
the COVID-19 outbreak, we have taken additional precautionary measures to enhance
the cleanliness and sanitization of the facility, including the on-going sanitizing of
high{ouch areas. We are also ensuring that our staff members stay home if they are not
feeling well.
Based on the information that we have received from various agencies and our own
preparedness, we are confident that Chilliwack Heritage Park can continue to be a safe
environment and We remain open for business.
We will continue to update you should things change. ln the meantime, should you have
any questions, please feel free to call me at 604-858-8121 or email me at
amacedo@Qhi lliwackhe ritaqepark. com
Thank you. We are here to assist you in any way that we can.

Sincerely,
4ua /(aor/o
Ana Macedo
Manager,
Chilliwack Heritage Park

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2020, 05:29:52 PM »

It was a good call by Rod make the cancellation notice  early today in order to get the message out to vendors, display booths and people planning to attend. Especially with the notice today that came out this afternoon that no event with over 250 people attending was to proceed. Also a number of those bringing displays had cancelled in coming before Rod made the call. I know we are all disappointed but safety supersedes it all.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2020, 06:10:49 PM »

I heard someone saying the DFO will be closing the rivers to if they find anglers fishing within 4 feet of each other  ::) . May as well just close it then cause like that ain’t gunna happen  ::) ::) .
Just kidding  ;)
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2020, 06:13:19 PM »

Safety first  :(
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2020, 10:20:52 PM »

I heard someone saying the DFO will be closing the rivers to if they find anglers fishing within 4 feet of each other  ::) . May as well just close it then cause like that ain’t gunna happen  ::) ::) .
Just kidding  ;)

I heard the a Fishing regulation addendum this season: no peeing or spitting upstream

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2020, 11:21:38 PM »

I’m sure there’s no one more disappointed then Rod himself. I imagine there must be a ton of work goes into organizing an event like this. I for one won’t be attending the gun show even if it does go ahead.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2020, 11:43:09 PM »

Kudos to Rodney for trying to set this up. Too bad it was derailed by something that's out of his control. Good call to cancel