Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Serious Clay Slide On The Chilliwack River  (Read 13719 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Serious Clay Slide On The Chilliwack River
« on: January 26, 2020, 04:45:46 PM »

It happened on the Ranger Run, check the Fraser Valley Salmon Society FB page for pictures. Thanks for the report and pictures Tyler J.

Old Blue

Re: Serious Clay Slide On The Chilliwack River
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 09:12:21 AM »

That photo looked nasty, it also completely wiped out a decent spot that was good to me for years.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 09:20:02 AM »

Don't have FB. Appreciate if someone could post the pics to the site. Would be interested in having a see. TYVM

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 11:42:21 AM »

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 01:20:11 PM »

Thanks Rod. Reminds me of a line from “No Country for Old Men”
“Well it’s mess ain’t it” “If it ain’t, it’ll do till the mess gets here”

Is that pic taken from the right bank looking up at the slide and that’s standing water in the foreground, or is it taken from the left bank looking across and that water is the river?

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 01:46:24 PM »

IT does not seem like it's much of a deal :

Fred's Custom Tackle
January 26 at 3:49 PM ·
There was a slide up at the Ranger Run. Current reports are that it has blocked off Petigrew Island, so the water will redirect around it. Shouldn’t cause too much of a problem with water clarity.

Fred's Custom Tackle
Yesterday at 12:30 PM ·
Slide Update: River's looking a bit silty since the slide up at Ranger Run. We've had slides in the past clear up in a matter of hours, others that have lasted for days. How long this will last is anybody's guess. Still seeing 🎣 weighed in #chilliwackriver #vedderriver

avid angler

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 02:10:31 PM »

It’s pretty bad. This is much bigger then anything we’ve seen the last 7-8 years. If it’s still bad after the blowout on friday then I predict it will take months to clear up. it will pose a big challenge for anglers and it will also wreck any chance the snorkelers have of seeing anything below this. It’s about 1-1.5 feet of vis with a heavy grey tinge. Fishable, but far from ideal.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2020, 03:09:47 PM »

I guess any salmon eggs below the slide would be toast ? . Covered in clay silt ? .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2020, 04:03:01 PM »

The coming "atmospheric river" in the forecast may bring a 10-year flood event or worse.  Let's hope it doesn't create any more slides.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2020, 06:12:13 PM »

Fred’s saying the slide won’t affect the water clarity is wrong. This slide is a bad one. The water above is clear, the water below is cloudy green with a foot of visibility.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 06:31:56 PM by Wiseguy »

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2020, 08:24:59 PM »

Its nasty. One of the worst slides ive seen that's for sure. Has there been bigger ones ? Yes but the water clarity is awful. Its shaping up to be a bad season for me. Normally I'd have a few hatchery at home but I haven't even hooked a single Steel on the Chilliwack this year. With the cold and now all this rain and slide ? Personally my worst season since I first started Steelheading.

James

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2020, 12:53:19 PM »

Fred’s saying the slide won’t affect the water clarity is wrong. This slide is a bad one. The water above is clear, the water below is cloudy green with a foot of visibility.

Fred's is worried about lost revenue due to lack of people on the river. It is even stated in the video clip posted about a previous slide.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2020, 05:30:19 PM »

Fred's is worried about lost revenue due to lack of people on the river. It is even stated in the video clip posted about a previous slide.
Here is the video I produced and posted on another thread for those that may have missed it.https://youtu.be/su0bEzHvi4o

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2020, 12:12:33 PM »

Fred's Custom Tackle
3 hrs ·
Yesterday was a #bobberdown festival on the #chilliwackriver with 10 fish weighed into the #wallyhallderby. Here's a beauty 10.97lb #steelhead weighed in by Steve Rutherford. Check out the leaderboard for the latest updates at https://www.fredscustomtackle.com/derby1920

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2020, 02:14:59 PM »

Fred's Custom Tackle
3 hrs ·
Yesterday was a #bobberdown festival on the #chilliwackriver with 10 fish weighed into the #wallyhallderby. Here's a beauty 10.97lb #steelhead weighed in by Steve Rutherford. Check out the leaderboard for the latest updates at https://www.fredscustomtackle.com/derby1920

There are good days but mostly bad days. That was a small blip. How many people fish the Vedder on a daily bassis in the winter ? Lots. How many hatchery are retained on average these days ? Not many.