Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fisherman fined for trout fishing without a licence  (Read 5342 times)

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
Re: Fisherman fined for trout fishing without a licence
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 09:28:34 PM »

https://i.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-daily-news/news/117600557/fisherman-fined-for-trout-fishing-without-a-licence

Appropriate punishment ?

They went overboard. Trout are not native to New Zealand. Therefore the man was fishing for an no native species. He was doing that country a favor.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 07:19:44 AM »

hmm interesting perspective.

New Zealiand had virtually no native freshwater fish species and of those they have, most (excepting anadromous eels) grow no more than a few inches long. The largets native species don't exceed 6 to 8 inches.

Introduced trout thrived, grew numerous, provided abundant commercial fisheries in some large lakes and form the backbone of a tourist industry. Hundreds of thousands of trout fishers world wide dream of a trip to New Zealand.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

chironomidking

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 08:19:49 AM »

They went overboard. Trout are not native to New Zealand. Therefore the man was fishing for an no native species. He was doing that country a favor.

That's a very narrowminded take on the issue. If applied to humans, it would be blatantly racist and chauvinistic.

I believe the fine was appropriate.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 09:27:59 AM »

That's a very narrowminded take on the issue. If applied to humans, it would be blatantly racist and chauvinistic.

I believe the fine was appropriate.

I tell ya when I catch Bass ( Locally) I have no limit

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 09:42:43 AM »

I tell ya when I catch Bass ( Locally) I have no limit
What about brookies in the interior? By that same logic you could also take every fish in a lake such as Logan lake because that isn’t a natural lake and therefore has no native species.
Someone was here

Old Blue

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 10:20:10 AM »

So his temporary license was destroyed....and could he provide the permanent one at trial?  No mention of it.  Giving a fake name for no reason?
The guy also was "facing sentence on previously admitted charges"

Throw the book at the guy.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 11:12:20 AM »

Invasive species are non-native (or alien), but not all non-native species are considered invasive.

Eastern brook trout are non-native to the Pacific watershed, but are native to North America, and are not considered invasive when sterile and stocked into interior BC lakes.     

Largemouth bass are non-native to the Pacific watershed, but are native to North America, and are generally considered invasive in BC.

Walleye and northern pike are native to BC, but are not native to the Pacific watershed as they are found in the northeastern part of the province in Arctic Ocean drainages. They are generally considered invasive in Pacific Ocean drainages. 

Rainbow trout and kokanee are native to the Pacific watershed but are not considered invasive when stocked into lakes that are not part of their normal range.

Brown trout are non-native to the Pacific watershed, and, in fact, are non-native to North America, but are generally not considered invasive, are allowed to thrive and are protected in the Region 1 regulations as wild trout.             

If you are serious about removing all non-native species, then also start rooting through your garden. Many of your prized shrubs and trees are not native to the west coast.   

https://ibis.geog.ubc.ca/biodiversity/efauna/AlienSpeciesinBritishColumbiaHistoricalRecords.html
https://bcinvasives.ca/

« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 11:25:35 AM by clarki »

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2019, 11:25:09 AM »

What about brookies in the interior? By that same logic you could also take every fish in a lake such as Logan lake because that isn’t a natural lake and therefore has no native species.

Never said that. I just said Bass.settle down

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2019, 02:18:05 PM »

Never said that. I just said Bass.settle down

H&F, did you know that smallmouth bass was introduced legally to many BC watersheds, to provide for fishing opportunities?
Not all bass in BC are the result of bucket brigades' activity.

BTW, bass is tasty. Let me know where I can catch a few decent sized ones for the table and I'll gladly do my part.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2019, 03:00:27 PM »

the limit on Brook trout in streams in the Okanagan has been raised to 20 per day as they are over populated in some streams and compete with native rainbow.

Almost all trout stocked into stillwater fisheries are rendered sterile before they even emerge from their eggs. This is true for current brook trout stocking. Some lakes that had brook trout stocked some years back have established self sustaining populations.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 09:04:11 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

hammer

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2019, 08:46:41 AM »

I think the person should be fined. Mind you, I don’t know how well boundaries and such are posted or made clear in regulations. Are the any concerns about fishing in the Taupo area or is it just a specialized area under specific regulation? I know there a well known fisheries originating in Lake Taupo and tribs but don’t really know the context. Is this guy “accidentally”  doing the equivalent of drifting a pro cured prawn off the mouth of the Nicola in November or something less heinous?

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2019, 08:07:42 AM »

H&F, did you know that smallmouth bass was introduced legally to many BC watersheds, to provide for fishing opportunities?
Not all bass in BC are the result of bucket brigades' activity.

BTW, bass is tasty. Let me know where I can catch a few decent sized ones for the table and I'll gladly do my part.

This is true. BUT the non sterile bass ARE being transported by the bucket brigade. THIS IS  a major problem. They shouldn't be here in the first place. You just cant trust people. One bad apple ruins it all. Zero tolerance.