Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River Hatchery Coho Salmon Spawning  (Read 11492 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Chilliwack River Hatchery Coho Salmon Spawning
« on: November 20, 2019, 02:38:51 PM »

The hatchery wraps up its coho salmon spawning for the season this morning.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Chilliwack River Hatchery Coho Salmon Spawning
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 02:50:59 PM »

One of Nature's amazing wonders!
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Sir Snag-A-Lot

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 05:52:17 PM »

One of Nature's amazing wonders!

That's nature?
 :-\

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 06:18:27 PM »

Factory fish farms

ae_9

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 07:08:18 PM »

Very interesting, nice photos

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 07:25:05 PM »

While I am very grateful for hatchery enhanced fishing opportunities, it saddens me.

Those little warriors should be digging redds in the gravel beneath the canopy of temperate rainforest cedars, not laying in tubes awaiting to be gutted and fertilized in a plastic bucket.

It’s a stark reminder of how much we’ve lost.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2019, 09:06:50 PM »

While I am very grateful for hatchery enhanced fishing opportunities, it saddens me.

Those little warriors should be digging redds in the gravel beneath the canopy of temperate rainforest cedars, not laying in tubes awaiting to be gutted and fertilized in a plastic bucket.

It’s a stark reminder of how much we’ve lost.

I see my tax dollars, staff and volunteers hard at work to help the next generation of Chilliwack river Coho come back to the river.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 09:13:56 PM »

I see my tax dollars, staff and volunteers hard at work to help the next generation of Chilliwack river Coho clones come back to the river.

fixed that for you
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

sumasriver

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019, 09:32:03 PM »

fixed that for you

Is it true hatch fish are weaker, smaller, poor genetically than wild fish...... ?

At what point does habitat restoration and  temporary closed upper river need to be a stronger emphasis ?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2019, 08:58:49 AM »

Is it true hatch fish are weaker, smaller, poor genetically than wild fish...... ?

At what point does habitat restoration and  temporary closed upper river need to be a stronger emphasis ?

I don't know if it is 'true' but I think many anglers including myself feel hatchery fish on average are smaller and don't fight as well as wild fish. Sometimes they seem less inclined to bite. I recall back in the late 80s saltwater anglers on the East Coast of Vanilse late Sept and Oct (even November) complained despite their high numbers didn't bite as readily as wild fish and that they tended to stay quite deep compared to wild fish that were more surface oriented. Could that had to due with changes in the Strait at the time. I seldom hear talk of that fishery anymore. Maybe it is a thing of the past.

Many experts on salmon seem to agree that salmon overall have been getting smaller in the last several years. I didn't catch a hatchery coho bigger than 4lbs this year and the does I caught were like 3lbs...tiny compared to the past. A couple of the fish Rod and Nina (hope I got your wife's name right Rod) were a good size.

The biggest wild fish I caught this year was about 8lbs. Most were 4 to 6.

Best I know the Chilliwack still has a strong population of wild fish. I think most years it's about equal to what returns to the hatchery. I don't know if there are any studies that specifically indicate hatchery coho are genetically inferior. The big issue with that is relying on hatchery fish as brood stock for coming generations.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 10:59:54 AM by RalphH »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2019, 09:20:30 AM »

REVIEW OF GENETCIALLY BASED TARGETS FOR
ENHANCED CONTRIBUTIONS TO CANADIAN PACIFIC
CHINOOK SALMON POPULATIONS

https://waves-vagues.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/Library/40687739.pdf

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2019, 09:28:01 AM »

VIDEO (Part 1 of 2) - State of Salmon: Hatcheries, Climate Change & More: A PSF Presentation (appx. 19 mins)

· PSF’s VP of Salmon, Jason Hwang, gives an update on the current state of salmon in a presentation hosted by the Pacific Salmon Foundation. Topics include: hatchery effectiveness; climate change; salmon habitat; science & research; volunteerism & stewardship

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGV9y9D170A&feature=emb_logo

5 min mark for the stuff on hatcheries

avid angler

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2019, 09:45:33 AM »

Just be happy we have hatchery coho to fish for. This is a great program.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2019, 11:53:52 AM »

Best I know the Chilliwack still has a strong population of wild fish. I think most years it's about equal to what returns to the hatchery. I don't know if there are any studies that specifically indicate hatchery coho are genetically inferior. The big issue with that is relying on hatchery fish as brood stock for coming generations.
I think this is really hard to gauge.  The hatchery releases a large amount of coho fry that are too small to clip - from what I remember, usually about equal to the numbers of fin clipped coho.  Maybe survival of these fry isn't as good as the larger ones they release, but I still believe these are a major portion of the "wild" coho we catch in the Vedder.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2019, 12:59:15 PM »

the 2017 post season release summary was 100,000 fed fry released into various tributaries. (peach Salwein etc)

Smolt release was 980,000 from the hatchery, if I read the table correctly

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/sep-pmvs/data-donnees/2019/SC&NC-IFMP-2019-PSR-eng.htm