Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fishing with a glow stick on float  (Read 5281 times)

Kenwee

fishing with a glow stick on float
« on: November 07, 2019, 12:05:06 PM »

Is it legal to fish with glow stick attached to your float one hour before sunrise and on hour after sunset?

armytruck

• Old Timer
Re: fishing with a glow stick on float
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 01:33:40 PM »

"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 01:57:15 PM »

It is unlawful to "Use a light in any manner to attract fish, unless the light is submerged and attached to the fishing line within 1 m of the hook".

Are you using the light to attract fish or just to detect a bite?  Are you unintentionally attracting fish?  Do you want to pay a lawyer to convince a judge of the validity of your argument. 

Can you submerge the light immediately below the float, so that you can still see it and have it within 1 m of the hook with a short float set up?  There are lots of twists and turn you can imagine.

You may wish to consider fishing without the need for light in a water body without the daylight hour restriction?

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 02:08:45 PM »

Is it legal to fish with glow stick attached to your float one hour before sunrise and on hour after sunset?

Why would you even want to do that? Why risk running into an unsympathetic CO who will interpret the regulations against you.
COs are these days much more active checking people who fish in the dark because most violations are committed when the lights are out.
If you must fish an hour before and after sunset, as an alternative you can use a spinning reel setup to twitch jigs or fish blades or spinners, until there is enough light for you to see your float. The movement and vibrations of the jigs or metal as are attractive to coho as is the scent of your roe.

Problem solved without worrying about the legality of it.  :D

Kenwee

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 02:51:08 PM »

Thank you for your comments. I do not use a light on my float. There were comments made to a guy using red light stick at the dog park this morning.
and I just wanted to get clarification on the use of light sticks on a float.It sure is better to wait till is bright enough to see your float before u cast your line.

ae_9

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 04:06:38 PM »

Probably illegal

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 04:27:45 PM »

It is unlawful to "Use a light in any manner to attract fish, unless the light is submerged and attached to the fishing line within 1 m of the hook".

Seems to me that submerging the light underwater within 1 meter of the hook would attract fish than a float  on the surface

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 05:11:46 PM »

This is from DFO's webpage with respect to unlawful fishing actions:

It is illegal to:

use torches or artificial lights while sport fishing except when they are submerged and attached to a fishing line, within 1 m of the fishing hook

The interesting thing here is the above text does not include "attracting fish".  So it would appear that using artificial lights (e.g. glo-sticks) would not be legal.  In any event, I would recommend not doing it.  It isn't necessary. I've never seen people drastically improve their catch rate by fishing in the dark.  All it does is infuriate other anglers as this risks "spooking" the run.

Posted webpage below:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/first-premiere-eng.html

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 05:21:21 PM »

Why would you even want to do that? Why risk running into an unsympathetic CO who will interpret the regulations against you.
COs are these days much more active checking people who fish in the dark because most violations are committed when the lights are out.
If you must fish an hour before and after sunset, as an alternative you can use a spinning reel setup to twitch jigs or fish blades or spinners, until there is enough light for you to see your float. The movement and vibrations of the jigs or metal as are attractive to coho as is the scent of your roe.

Problem solved without worrying about the legality of it.  :D

Sounds like you haven't fished first light for a while. I have seen dozens lighten floats in a row float down vedder crossing. It looks like some religious ceremoney

243Pete

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2019, 12:00:11 PM »

"use torches or artificial lights while sport fishing except when they are submerged and attached to a fishing line, within 1 m of the fishing hook"

Submerged and not on the top of the water seems to be a clear indication of "No, you cannot use a glow stick or light source on the top of the water." and within 1m (3 feet) so anything beyond that is deemed illegal again, short floating might get away from this but they should also add a "Any tackle that can be used to attach a removeable light source" Meaning this little glow stick holders should be added as well.

I've had this discussion with other anglers as I've seen this a lot now on the river, but I've already given my words and spoken to another friend about this and hopefully next year they will step up enforcement, won't be hard to spot them cause all you got to do is look at the water for the little red or green lights floating around.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2019, 03:39:35 PM »

meh, not sure salmon in fresh water are attracted to light. Seems like a lot of noise over nothing.
By this token you can't wear a headlamp either.

Roderick

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2019, 03:58:15 PM »

The point of the law is to prevent people from using bright lights to attract fish to the area you are fishing like they do when squid fishing.  A glow stick is really a small amount of light and if anything will only attract fish to the float.  So yes, strictly speaking glow sticks are against the law but they are not what the law was intended to prevent. 

If you want to get technical, a camp fire at the side of the river, even during the day, would be illegal under this law.  Taking a flash photo of your fish while others are fishing, even during the day, also against the law.  Navigation lights on a boat while fishing.... you guessed it, against this law.
You shoulda been here yesterday.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2019, 04:18:15 PM »

Sounds like you haven't fished first light for a while. I have seen dozens lighten floats in a row float down vedder crossing. It looks like some religious ceremoney
Lol, you are right. First light has long ago stopped being my thing. Much more fond of last light these days...it's much warmer, you see better where you're going, there are fewer people...and sadly, fewer fish, too.
But that's OK. I'm not a numbers guy. Ocean caught halibut and salmon make up for what I fail to catch on the flow. ;D

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2019, 05:58:30 PM »

The point of the law is to prevent people from using bright lights to attract fish to the area you are fishing like they do when squid fishing.  A glow stick is really a small amount of light and if anything will only attract fish to the float.  So yes, strictly speaking glow sticks are against the law but they are not what the law was intended to prevent. 

If you want to get technical, a camp fire at the side of the river, even during the day, would be illegal under this law.  Taking a flash photo of your fish while others are fishing, even during the day, also against the law.  Navigation lights on a boat while fishing.... you guessed it, against this law.

I guess street and wharf lights are illegal too! Sorry you are being far too broad in your interpretation.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 06:13:41 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Roderick

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2019, 06:11:07 PM »

Wow Ralphy gets it! Good job.
You shoulda been here yesterday.