Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mike's reel repair  (Read 4317 times)

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
Mike's reel repair
« on: November 06, 2019, 12:23:27 PM »

Has anyone else had massive delays and no responses from Mike's? They never answer the phone and email inquiries go unanswered. I may just have to show up in person to get an answer. This is my second time dealing with Mike's. The first time it took 6 weeks to get a pair sturgeon reels back from just a general service. I should have used Kevin at express reel repair this time.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Mike's reel repair
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 12:26:00 PM »

I don't deal with Mike's for the same reason you outlined

wooly bugger

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 12:47:15 PM »

Per their website:

***We are currently running about 2 weeks behind in responding to email messages. If you require a faster answer, please call our toll free number***

2 weeks just to respond to emails  :o

For minor repairs I just take apart my own reels, order then replace the broken parts.  For major repairs where I can't figure out what's causing the problem, or something requires fabrication, etc.... I just buy a new reel  ;D

fisherforever

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 01:17:46 PM »

Quit using them 3 years ago for the above comments. I send everyone to Express Reel Service, #3 rd and Interprovincial Hwy in Abbotsford (near the yellow barns on 3 rd) excellent service and turn around.

Kever

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 01:24:16 PM »

If you can time your reel repair for freshet the turnaround is faster, I assume because fewer people are fishing.

stsfisher

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 01:49:31 PM »

Quit using them 3 years ago for the above comments. I send everyone to Express Reel Service, #3 rd and Interprovincial Hwy in Abbotsford (near the yellow barns on 3 rd) excellent service and turn around.
Not to mention I have never had to wait for "parts to come in" ( for those that do their own servicing like me.) Just know they are closed Sundays and Mondays.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 03:26:13 PM »

Well......... they finally called me today. They said my reel is not scheduled to be serviced till winter during the slow season. I dont think I'll ever use them again.

standalone

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 03:27:51 PM »

3 repairs there. 1 this year. this year delayed 2 weeks. They did answer when I called.
I am not going to complain because it's inexpensive and get things done.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2019, 04:11:09 PM »

Where there is little or no competition, a service provider can do pretty much what they please. I believe Mike's Reel Repair should be growing with the demand rather than making wait times longer and longer. It's unbelievable how much business they are losing due to the slow turnaround time.
But it's not my business, so whatever. The owner is probably happy with the way things are.

On a positive note, they do a good repair job at a (still) reasonable price.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2019, 08:10:47 PM »

Where there is little or no competition, a service provider can do pretty much what they please. I believe Mike's Reel Repair should be growing with the demand rather than making wait times longer and longer. It's unbelievable how much business they are losing due to the slow turnaround time.
But it's not my business, so whatever. The owner is probably happy with the way things are.

On a positive note, they do a good repair job at a (still) reasonable price.

I am happy to pay the price at Mike's. Every time I felt with Express Reep Repair it's been cheaper however.

Animal Chin

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2019, 11:07:28 PM »

I brought my shimano spinning reel into Mikes for basic maintenance after 4-5 seasons use, 1st day of use handle catches at bottom of retrieve so that I have to force it. Giving Mike's the benefit of the doubt, as my reel had no issues when brought in and I'm not sure if it's reasonable to expect them to just "notice" that a pinion gear (which is not a normal one that is regularly replaced according to Shimano) needs replacing in the course of routine maintenance.

I knew the turnaround time as well as needing to stop in on way to the river from Vancouver. And this was the very beginning of the season. So I sent it to Shimano in Peterborough, ON. $25 and they replace all the gears in your reel etc., they'll definitely have all the parts on hand. Bit pricier if you factor in the shipping of around $20-25, but it's convenient for me, and they got it back to me in about a 9 days.. in October. So that's another option if you happen to have a Shimano.