Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: interesting video  (Read 5039 times)

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
interesting video
« on: November 05, 2019, 01:05:45 PM »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
Re: interesting video
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 07:56:36 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdNJ0JAwT7I

Very depressing. :( More and more it looks like a Mother Earth would be forced to get a rid of us humans. Next generations will be suffering for sure.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 08:18:03 PM »

Not really an interesting video. I'd like to know what NGO's are behind the funding of such a video and who is funding the activists groups behind most of that stuff. As a recreational angler, I share some views with the environment groups but they want to end rec angling/hunting. I'll always take video like that with a little scepticism. I have to wonder why Gretta and her billion dollar financiers are pushing so hard on developed western nations like Canada to cut CO2 emissions ( even tho we produce less than 2% globally ) and not one major climate group is pressuring China ( emitting more than 1/3 the global total ) to cut back on emissions. But hey, the carbon tax is helping. Let's ban plastic straws and stop fish hatcheries. Thatll make a difference.

*cough* the worlds top 10 Pacific ocean polluters are Asian nations *cough*

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 09:30:36 PM »

Not really an interesting video. I'd like to know what NGO's are behind the funding of such a video and who is funding the activists groups behind most of that stuff. As a recreational angler, I share some views with the environment groups but they want to end rec angling/hunting. I'll always take video like that with a little scepticism. I have to wonder why Gretta and her billion dollar financiers are pushing so hard on developed western nations like Canada to cut CO2 emissions ( even tho we produce less than 2% globally ) and not one major climate group is pressuring China ( emitting more than 1/3 the global total ) to cut back on emissions. But hey, the carbon tax is helping. Let's ban plastic straws and stop fish hatcheries. Thatll make a difference.

No matter what the conservation method, none of them work if this keep going:

Alaska Fish and Game forecasts a 2019 salmon catch of 213.2 million fish

https://www.adn.com/business-economy/2019/04/09/alaska-fish-and-game-forecasts-a-2019-salmon-catch-of-2132-million-fish/?fbclid=IwAR3DvJ9vqKvEuecocgm5697CSYlq4mxDmMQxHVxTMtTlBmi_QpA6O6p3MPo

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 05:06:01 AM »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 05:46:22 AM »

As listed in the opening credits, it was funded by Patagonia, which is a for profit US corporation.  You'd be surprised that recreational anglers actually like functioning, natural ecologies.  All fish love them. Even a hatchery fish needs a functioning ecology to survive.

I have to laugh at 'sports' anglers who hate ENGOs. Many ENGOs preserve fishing rights and access - ie The Nature Trust
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 08:42:12 AM »

there is nothing wrong with questioning the source but it sounds like you have made your mind up before you even watched it. i thought the creator of that video did a great job of showing perspective from a bunch of different view points.

how do you expect to pressure a communist country to cut emissions. especially when the leader of the free world thinks its a hoax set up by china. china is leading the world in investment to renewable energy. something the west should be leading in because thats where the future jobs and investment are.   

your logic of were so small we should do nothing is short sighted and ignorant. we should lead by example. their should be a tax on pollution. private company's have no morals and if unchecked will pollute our water and air then pack up and leave with the tax payer left to foot the bill.  Privatizing profits and socializing losses is the corporate way.

sumasriver

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 09:34:35 AM »

Hatcheries are about short term sport fishing opportunities.

Habit restoration is the LONG term way forward for us here in beautiful BC.

Yes of course reducing non selective commercial openings is also critical.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2019, 11:51:42 AM »

there is nothing wrong with questioning the source but it sounds like you have made your mind up before you even watched it. i thought the creator of that video did a great job of showing perspective from a bunch of different view points.

how do you expect to pressure a communist country to cut emissions. especially when the leader of the free world thinks its a hoax set up by china. china is leading the world in investment to renewable energy. something the west should be leading in because thats where the future jobs and investment are.   

your logic of were so small we should do nothing is short sighted and ignorant. we should lead by example. their should be a tax on pollution. private company's have no morals and if unchecked will pollute our water and air then pack up and leave with the tax payer left to foot the bill.  Privatizing profits and socializing losses is the corporate way.

Every time a tax is set on a private corporation the costs are immediately passed down to the consumer. Every time. Taxing pollution does nothing to help the environment. It just makes our dollar last a little less. Every single time. The theroy is tax gasoline, the people will drive less. Not happening. As a result, everything costs more. Gas, food, anything that uses petroleum costs more. Canada should impose life crippling taxes on petroleum to set an example ? And not EVEN bring up the country China ? I dont think so. Check your logic on that one pal. But hey, let's just give them a free pass because they're a communist nation. It's ok commie, go ahead and pollute rivers and lakes in Siberia for a price, contribute to over 1/3rd the global total to carbon emissions and continue to imprison over 1 million muslims, it's ok China. You get a free pass.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2019, 01:30:04 PM »

Every time a tax is set on a private corporation the costs are immediately passed down to the consumer. Every time. Taxing pollution does nothing to help the environment. It just makes our dollar last a little less. Every single time. The theroy is tax gasoline, the people will drive less. Not happening. As a result, everything costs more. Gas, food, anything that uses petroleum costs more. Canada should impose life crippling taxes on petroleum to set an example ? And not EVEN bring up the country China ? I dont think so. Check your logic on that one pal. But hey, let's just give them a free pass because they're a communist nation. It's ok commie, go ahead and pollute rivers and lakes in Siberia for a price, contribute to over 1/3rd the global total to carbon emissions and continue to imprison over 1 million muslims, it's ok China. You get a free pass.

actually people are driving less but for what ever reason more cars are being registered so it is having an impact. personally i have no problem paying more in tax's as long as it is going to the right policies. policies like renewable energy, subsidised child care, subsidised post second education for people that have the grades, units for the homeless, infrastructure spending and so on.

https://www.thestar.com/vancouver/2018/06/17/bc-drivers-registering-more-cars-despite-green-policies-like-the-carbon-tax-and-more-public-transit-options.html

what does china have to do with our domestic policy? who are we bring it up too? not sure if you read my first post but CHINA is leading the world in renewable energy. to me that is unacceptable. that is the future period. why let them steal all the investment?

i also total agree with you about china's human rights issues. once this goof of a president is out of office i'm hoping north america and the rest of the world can pressure china and other human rights violators that it is unacceptable.   

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2019, 02:57:33 PM »

who are we bring it up too? not sure if you read my first post but CHINA is leading the world in renewable energy. to me that is unacceptable. that is the future period. why let them steal all the investment?
i also total agree with you about china's human rights issues. once this goof of a president is out of office i'm hoping north america and the rest of the world can pressure china and other human rights violators that it is unacceptable.   

Unacceptable according to who? The "righteous" Anglo-Saxon civilization? The same one that has killed hundreds of millions of people around the globe in the name of their god and (neo) colonial aspirations?

As far as I know, China has been a strong civilization for a few thousand years already, as opposed to the couple hundred years for the USA, so they know a thing or two about staying relevant. Let the USA mind their own business and let the Chinese sort out their human rights chit by themselves. As far as I know, China is not violating any human rights in North America, so let's drop the silly  Chinese human rights violation yanquee rhetoric. (BTW, when talking about human rights, Americans should look into their backyard first).

More importantly, why would the world's second strongest economy not lead the world in renewable energy if the world's first economy doesn't want to (or can't)? And please explain how exactly is China "stealing all the investment"?

« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 04:13:57 PM by milo »

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2019, 05:02:59 PM »

Unacceptable according to who? The "righteous" Anglo-Saxon civilization? The same one that has killed hundreds of millions of people around the globe in the name of their god and (neo) colonial aspirations?

As far as I know, China has been a strong civilization for a few thousand years already, as opposed to the couple hundred years for the USA, so they know a thing or two about staying relevant. Let the USA mind their own business and let the Chinese sort out their human rights chit by themselves. As far as I know, China is not violating any human rights in North America, so let's drop the silly  Chinese human rights violation yanquee rhetoric. (BTW, when talking about human rights, Americans should look into their backyard first).

More importantly, why would the world's second strongest economy not lead the world in renewable energy if the world's first economy doesn't want to (or can't)? And please explain how exactly is China "stealing all the investment"?

unacceptable for all of us as canadians or north americans. we should be leading the path forward to renewable engergy so our economy can benefit from all the jobs and investment it brings. let me just clarify i have no problem with china investing as well, i just think we should be leading in that front so our economy can benefit.

i agree china as been a strong civilization but that does not mean they have had not their fare share of problems. nor am i defending the questionable actions the US as done in the past or even present. human rights issues are not solved by them selves especially in a communist country where their is no rule of law or real journalism. if your ok with this in the present day than that shows more about your character or morals than anything.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/25/world/asia/china-xinjiang-muslim-camps.html
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 01:22:29 PM by bigblockfox »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2019, 06:38:57 PM »

after dismissing the video because you thought it must have been funded by "NGOs" (like the Red Cross maybe?) none of your complaints are remotely related to the video.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2019, 07:38:03 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/25/world/asia/china-xinjiang-muslim-camps.html
Yes, that is very sad, but it is not much different from Canadian residential schools and American Japanese camps built in the 20th century. The Chinese obviously had very good teachers in the Anglo Saxons on the subject of how to most efficiently oppress minorities.
Being such a powerful country, and now having such an incredibly robust economy, China is at a stage where the rest of the world can start thinking about a more global version of Pax Sinica, as it appears that the USA are no longer able to maintain Pax Americana.
Let's not forget that any imperialism relies to an extent on oppressive methods, and China is no exception.