Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Video: Vedder River Coho Salmon  (Read 5833 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: New Video: Vedder River Coho Salmon
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 05:07:07 PM »

A great day to remember .

Flybob

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 05:52:02 PM »

nice work...

96XJ

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 09:19:00 AM »

Looks like it was a great day , funny how when you started you were away from the crowds but the crowd managed to find you  :o

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 09:23:45 AM »

Looks like it was a great day , funny how when you started you were away from the crowds but the crowd managed to find you  :o
It also looks like the last fish swam into the woman legs below you. Are they not biting on spoons this yr?

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 09:40:34 AM »

The spot was still ok yesterday. Saw may be a dozen fish hooked between 11 to 1pm and maybe more at first light?
I fished below a spoon guy and a spinner guy and they both got fish.
I was skunked. Roe is KING.
It ain't the roe bro'

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 09:45:06 AM »

The spot was still ok yesterday. Saw may be a dozen fish hooked between 11 to 1pm and maybe more at first light?
Were u skunked on wool ? .  ;D
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 10:31:38 AM »

It also looks like the last fish swam into the woman legs below you. Are they not biting on spoons this yr?
Not funny at all or unusual. One of my first successful coho days on the Chilliwack was an early November day  I found a small pod of coho tucked into a small log jam. There was room for one angler or so on the upstream side. Within an hour I landed 2 hatchery fish and a couple of wild fish and lost one or 2. Other anglers from the crowded run below came up to cash in o the action and climbed onto a few precarious perches on the top of the log. Of course the fish were all spooked into the fast water or into the jam. I picked up my fish and walked back up the bank to my car.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 10:38:30 AM »

Fun video Rod. Love those days.Made me wish I had skipped the trout fishing in here in the Shuswap for a week of Coho fun.Maybe next year as it is the off year for salmon here. So great to see those floats going down!
Riverman

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2019, 11:31:29 AM »

Were u skunked on wool ? .  ;D
It's not the bait, it was the presentation. I only had my flyrod with me.
It ain't the roe bro'

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2019, 04:30:54 AM »

The couple fishing below us are from Denmark and we know them so I wanted them to fish close to me and get into fish too. Eventually they also had a great day. Once we got our limit and stopped, quite a few others crowded the area and the couple was too polite to say anything so it got really busy unfortunately. The funny thing was the rest of the run, which was at least a few hundred feet long were completely unoccupied and I was quite confident it would produce too if we started fishing down below the crowd. The day before that we had a similar session with no one noticing us catching them so had the entire run to ourselves. Based on what others have reported in the last few days, it's looking like we are experiencing a pretty strong run of coho salmon this year on the Vedder. It'll be very interesting to see how many surplus hatchery fish make it to the hatchery even with the high retention pressure.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2019, 07:05:51 AM »

Just curious question. Do they use hatchery coho for brood stock as opposed to steelhead using wild fish?

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2019, 08:48:49 AM »

Same frustration after seeing some many fish caught when nothing touch the fly. I went back bought a baitcaster and 10lb roe.   
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 12:49:13 PM by psd1179 »

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2019, 08:49:50 AM »

Great vid Rod!  Quick question - I noticed you are using the "Top Shelf" floats - cigar shaped.  Are you using 25g or 20g floats?  I noticed you using them in a few videos.  How do you like these compared to the clear floats (e.g. clear drift/drennans, etc.).  Also, it appears you do not use the plastic peg/stick which I also don't use as it get's caught on other people's line on a busy run.  I've experimented with these a bit and like them. But they are very expensive for a float IMHO.

Stratocaster and I bought a bunch of "Fishon" floats a few years back and we really liked the 20g versions - these fish just like Drennan pikers, but at about a quarter of the price.  Unfortunately, I'm down to my last two 20g Fishon floats.  I still have a stash of 25g Fishon floats, but these are a bit too large.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2019, 11:03:27 AM »

This is the first season I've not used a clear float and it really hasn't made a difference for me. In fact, I've probably caught more fish than ever but that mostly has to do with the good abundance of fish we've seen this season. I use the size 14g Top Shelf cigar float. I like to keep my float as small as possible. I rig up a 20g for Nina and others when they come with me just because it's easier to cast the heavier setup. The way these coho have bit this season really hasn't made a difference on both float sizes.

I've also gotten lazy and only used float stoppers above the float and just let it slide down to the weight, but I'm going to stop doing that and go back to having stoppers at both ends of the float. The bottom end of the float has been damaged slightly, from sliding down too fast and hitting the weight when I set the hook.

Just curious question. Do they use hatchery coho for brood stock as opposed to steelhead using wild fish?

The hatchery uses both to reproduce offsprings. There is usually a good surplus of hatchery fish which goes to the Soowahlie First Nation.