Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spinner blanks  (Read 4586 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Spinner blanks
« on: October 01, 2019, 07:35:52 PM »

Several years ago, I purchased these inline spinner blanks at Army Navy.  These Blue Fox'ish blanks included the body, blade and clevis; you had to add your own hooks and swivels. I purchased several but am regretting not buying more. The orange body one worked like a hot darn today and I think it's my last one :(

Has anyone seen similar at any LM retailers or online? Plan B is to to buy the components and build my own but thought I would see what was out there first.

Thx.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 07:38:27 PM by clarki »

Roderick

Re: Spinner blanks
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 10:15:39 PM »

Berrys has a pretty good selection of blades.  Get brass and silver plate and mix it up.  Not sure about that exact body, but there's always lots of different things you can try.  I use plastic beads. Works great.
Sad that west coast tackle is gone... 
You shoulda been here yesterday.

Fishawn

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 10:15:58 PM »

Try Prime lures.

DanTfisherman

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 10:39:48 PM »

Those look like stock Blue Foxes.
Hoping for responses to where to get the supplies to build.
My guess would be e-bay and key word searches would be a good bet.
Your equivalent Blue Fox last time I purchased a few set me back about $10.00 each.

That being said:

Blue Fox similar to what you have there was cool and rewarding to catch a 10 lb coho on my first cast after switching from my Krocodile!
Sucked when three casts later, due to the different way it comes through the water, I snagged up on an underwater branch and had to break the new, cool looking, successful $10 dollar lure off.  :(

Dano

chironomidking

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 07:00:08 AM »

Several years ago, I purchased these inline spinner blanks at Army Navy.  These Blue Fox'ish blanks included the body, blade and clevis; you had to add your own hooks and swivels. I purchased several but am regretting not buying more. The orange body one worked like a hot darn today and I think it's my last one :(

Has anyone seen similar at any LM retailers or online? Plan B is to to buy the components and build my own but thought I would see what was out there first.

Thx.

Hey Clarki.  I did the same when Army Navy had these.  Bought a bunch and the orange was the ticket on my previous annual northern rivers coho trips.  I may have a few left.  Definitely have gold and silver blanks but not sure on the orange.  I will check my stock tonight. Just got back from the annual and spinners were not on the menu this year - water had all changed.

wookie

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 08:29:33 AM »

Last time i purchase no name spinners like this was at Highwater in North Van.  You can always call and ask...

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 09:12:33 AM »

easily paint orange using a nail polish

redside1

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 11:59:03 AM »

they came from Redl Sports about 10 years ago. So there most likely is nothing around in retail stores now.

mykiss

• Canadian Aquatics
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 01:23:16 PM »

Try Prime Lures, he's local and does bulk orders. He has those orange ones with silver plated blades.
Here fishy fishy......

www.canadianaquatics.com

c-pin

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 02:56:56 PM »

Try R and B Lures. They have similar components.

https://www.randblures.com

John
Wild Salmon are like Wild Women .... Fun to Catch and Mighty Tasty

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2019, 07:24:24 PM »

Thanks for the replies all.

they came from Redl Sports about 10 years ago. So there most likely is nothing around in retail stores now.
Good intel. Then I'm pooched :). On to Plan B

I may have a few left.  Definitely have gold and silver blanks but not sure on the orange.  I will check my stock tonight.

Is that an offer to part with them? :)

chironomidking

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2019, 07:59:35 AM »

Thanks for the replies all.
Good intel. Then I'm pooched :). On to Plan B

Is that an offer to part with them? :)

Yes it was an offer to part with them.  Unfortunately, my orange stock is only made up of used/abused.  I will keep digging and let you know if I find any new ones.  Cheers.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2019, 08:55:38 PM »

Definitely R&B lures, or firstrikelures.com for the blue fox look-alikes. They actually fish much better than a blue fox: much better thump, way easier startup, and they are much heavier and therefore get down and fish better. They rattle the exact same, and I've had great luck on them! Add a white silver blade too for a change up in low clear water and you'll hammer fish!

If you aren't caught up on the blue fox rattle style, then it's highly recommend trophy tackle. They've been my fav spinners for a good 6 years now. Nothing fishes as well as they do. They get down, spin easy, and straight up hammer fish. As a bonus, they are very affordable and they are normally shipped in a couple days!

As a side note, R&B and first strike, last I checked, all sell spinner kits for you to build your own at a discount compared to built ones.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2019, 09:52:42 PM »

What's a 'white silver' blade?
It ain't the roe bro'

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2019, 10:28:29 AM »

What's a 'white silver' blade?

It's a powdered silver blade that lets off a glow underwater rather than a flash. It's pretty much my go to blade color these days on spinners - they show up incredibly well in dirty water, but don't let off crazy flash in clear water either.