Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wtf  (Read 6381 times)

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
Wtf
« on: September 02, 2019, 03:02:41 PM »

.....as in waste the fish.........fished the mouth of the Harrison yesterday and witnessed one out of 6\8 salmon picked out of the nets at the native launch get tossed dead back into the river........why are they not allowed  \ required to keep by-catch?......guess the 3-4 seals in the area will have full stomachs......did however find out that sto:lo sign for have a nice day is an elevated middle finger.......
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: Wtf
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 03:28:32 PM »

First Nations dont eat pink salmon, every two years like clockwork you will see it all over the bars.

They had an FSC fishery for chinook over the weekend wasted pinks tossed already a couple of places noted on social media
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 03:37:14 PM by wildmanyeah »

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 08:58:55 PM »

Vedder river under Keith bridge. a bunch of pink killed. I guess you know who did this

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 07:31:51 AM »

Yes, it looks bad but at least the carcasses will contribute nutrients back into the river system. Complaining on a fishing board will never change FN actions - if this was even FN actions.

Dumping salmon like this will soon come to an end. Pike Minnow and Bass will soon be all that's left. At least there will be that to fish for.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 10:58:17 AM »

Yes, it looks bad but at least the carcasses will contribute nutrients back into the river system. Complaining on a fishing board will never change FN actions - if this was even FN actions.

Dumping salmon like this will soon come to an end. Pike Minnow and Bass will soon be all that's left. At least there will be that to fish for.

I found fly fishing section in Abbortford Cabelas is significantly reduced. stocked some bass gear and cheap gear. 

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 11:53:09 AM »

.....as in waste the fish.........fished the mouth of the Harrison yesterday and witnessed one out of 6\8 salmon picked out of the nets at the native launch get tossed dead back into the river........why are they not allowed  \ required to keep by-catch?......guess the 3-4 seals in the area will have full stomachs......did however find out that sto:lo sign for have a nice day is an elevated middle finger.......

Thanks Spoonman. Incidents like this I want to know about so it can be brought up at the next meeting with them. Certainly this doesn't represent all First Nations fishers out there, and I'd like to think there is an interest to get rid of that behaviour on their part.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 12:47:58 PM »

--and what do people think happens out on the ocean where there are no eye's on the commercial fleets when they exceed by-catch and don't want the fishery to close, again not all commercial fishers cheat.
--Or maybe the regulation for in river fishing needs to change to require the utilization of by-catch and quota reduction when exceeding by-catch limits.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 12:53:17 PM »

Someone is keeping them as they are all over craigslist as well as Chinook for $30.00

What a farce.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2019, 01:03:51 PM »

:(
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 01:08:07 PM by wildmanyeah »

Robert_G

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2019, 05:41:34 PM »

Just to remove anyone wanting to bury their head in the sand....Fraser salmon are being advertised and sold ALL OVER the LM right now. It's everywhere. I know personally of over a dozen people who have bought salmon from the natives in the last 3 weeks.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2019, 06:04:44 PM »

just business as usual for Chilliwack and the FV. Bitch about the FN fishery then head to the rez to buy salmon for the freezer.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2019, 06:40:25 PM »

Vedder river under Keith bridge. a bunch of pink killed. I guess you know who did this

Are they netting the lower Vedder? If not, why they didn't dump the pinks at the Fraser where they caught them? They should even consider donating to the food bank and not wasting them.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2019, 07:16:03 PM »

The male spawner pinks don't have a high food value so they're not going to be kept. Spawner pinks are netted only for the roe sale value. Everything is dumped back in the river usually and that's the best place for it. The only reason I see someone dumping them in such a public place is just to fire up more animosity. Most likely just a couple young punks trying to stir the pot.

We see pictures like this every year and we all hate seeing it. Far too often the images are of sockeye wasted and discarded - I don't recall seeing pictures of sockeye this year and I'll take that as a sign of how dire the sockeye situation has become.

Sad situation indeed.

This type of display does nothing to assure anyone that the various groups are all truly committed to preservation of this resource. Just a slap in the face as salmon recreation fishermen keep putting money into a system that no longer allows them to target the sub-species they are financially supporting. Other groups that don't appear to be financially supporting the salmon enhancement programs seem to be the sole takers from the system.

System is terribly broken. I wish I knew how to fix it.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2019, 07:34:08 PM »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2019, 08:03:03 PM »

Hope DFO is taking note but I doubt they'll do anything. :(