Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Good waders for hot weather?  (Read 3611 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Good waders for hot weather?
« on: July 21, 2019, 09:28:23 PM »

I'm looking to buy some new waders for summer/fall. I find I roast in my chest waders this time of year. Just too hot out.

Typically I'll just wear shorts and old runners or Keen sandals and wade a bit when needed. However I find standing too long in the river my feet start to freeze. Also if I need to cross a side channel or whatever the runners or sandals are scary slippery on slimy rocks. I need a better system.

Options I'm considering:

1- Simms and possibly other brands make a "wading shoe" that has a bit of a neoprene bootie that comes up your ankle a bit to keep gravel/sand out, and the sole has some felt down the center of the sole for added traction. This would solve my traction issue but probably do little for the cold feet.

2- Chap style waders. These would probably ventilate the best as your crotch/bum is not covered. Cold feet/legs would be minimized. However, all the ones I've seen have the rubber boots permanently affixed to the legs. I don't like this design as the boots are typically cheap with no arch support, and the rubber sole has zero grip on wet rocks. I think these waders are fine if you need to slip them on for a minute to launch a boat or whatever, but I would not want to fish in them all day.

3- Hip height waders. Cost/benefit wise I think these are the best option. If I could find a pair with neoprene booties then I can wear wading boots with felt sole. Traction issue solved and cold feet issue solved. Yes they will not breath as well as chap waders but I think it would be doable especially once standing in the cold water.

I'm curious what brands people would recommend? I'm not looking to go super high end. I'm only going to wear them a few times a year during the hotter months when I know I'll be fishing somewhere that requires standing in the river. Frog Toggs and similar economical brands are fine.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
Re: Good waders for hot weather?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 10:06:31 PM »

Probably even chapter than number 1 is the wading sock/bootie designed to be worn when wet wading with your existing wading boots.  If you have good boots with felt soles already, no need to buy another pair of footwear, just something to wear underneath.

ByteMe

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 08:04:46 AM »

I just picked up a pair of Cholta hippies, adjustable height at knee high, thigh and hip high on sale at Amazon.ca..... sounds like they might be exactly what you are looking for
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

bsmcrosseyed

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 08:13:25 AM »

I never tried them but DRYFT Waders sells online a light pant wader. They're based in Bellingham WA

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 04:36:29 PM »

Probably even chapter than number 1 is the wading sock/bootie designed to be worn when wet wading with your existing wading boots.  If you have good boots with felt soles already, no need to buy another pair of footwear, just something to wear underneath.

Hmmm...not sure why I didnt think of this?! I like this idea. Basically like using the Simms wading shoes but I can use my existing boots. Thanks man I'll look into these.

I just picked up a pair of Cholta hippies, adjustable height at knee high, thigh and hip high on sale at Amazon.ca..... sounds like they might be exactly what you are looking for

Will look into these as well. My dad is coming to visit in October and he will need waders. I think he'd find chest height a bit too restrictive and warm, these might work well.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 05:15:13 PM »

X2 for quick dry shorts and wading boots with neoprene socks. It's what I use if I am fishing in the heat of the day and I'm not going more than knee deep.

If I'm wading/standing deep, or the fishing extends into the evening hours, then I'll not wade wet and use waders.     

NothingToSnagAbout

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 09:50:45 PM »

waders/commando 8)

Aki

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 06:23:57 PM »

I think most Simms waders have clips on the shoulder harnesses that clip into each other around your waist. So you can roll the top part down and then clip it around your waist with the shoulder harnesses.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2019, 10:17:52 AM »

Thanks for the tips/ideas.

Spend an hour or so looking at different websites and reviews. Settled on the Frog Toggs Canyon 2 stocking foot hip waders.

https://www.amazon.ca/Frogg-Toggs-Canyon-Breathable-Stockingfoot/dp/B0784B8LZK/ref=sr_1_24?keywords=hip%2Bwaders&qid=1564073796&s=gateway&sr=8-24&th=1&psc=1

Chota and other brands looked decent as well, but I feel I paid a bit more for these and they'll likely be a bit better quality and lighter + more breathable. Also I wanted the neoprene bootie not rubber boots which eliminates most option out there.

I figure these will be a good option if I want to keep my feet and lower legs dry. Good for hot weather when the water is still cold.

I do also plan to pick up a pair of neoprene wading socks. Seems like another good tool to have in the bag when the weather is hot and the water is warm enough you wont freeze your feet/legs off.

Lastly I'll say it's worth looking at Canada and US sites. On Amazon.ca, for some odd reason, a size large was super expensive like $170 bucks. But an XL was closer to $100. On Amazon.com a large was the same price. In paid $75ish USD on my credit card shipped to Sumas, WA. A little over $100 after currency conversion.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2019, 11:32:52 AM »

Thanks for the tips/ideas.
Spend an hour or so looking at different websites and reviews. Settled on the Frog Toggs Canyon 2 stocking foot hip waders.

Hip waders are a death wish, IMO. It so easy to get carried away while summer wading and end up with them filling up with water in seconds.
I find the wading pants a much safer option because of the belt:

https://www.amazon.ca/Frogg-Toggs-Hellbender-Stockingfoot-Guide/dp/B01MYMW4VX/ref=asc_df_B01MYMW4VX/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=335213504813&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2488436783010315513&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001547&hvtargid=pla-567764524799&psc=1

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2019, 09:57:50 AM »

I get what you are saying. I would not wear them in any kind of fast moving water, etc. Certainly not steelhead fishing as I regularly cross fastish moving water knee height. However for what I have been using them for they are awesome. Have worn them to a few spots on the Vedder where I'd normally wear sandals or old runners. They are way better. Dont get sand and gravel and crap inside and my legs dont freeze. Legs get a bit warm but no too bad. I think If I had full wading pants on I would get too hot. Ive also used them to launch the boat in some lakes. Normally I wear rubber boots but the odd time water goes in over the top.
I'm quite happy with these hip waders and would recommend them. You just need to be experienced to know where not to wade in them.