Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Terrance/Smithers Trip: Aug 19-28  (Read 3465 times)

cdjk123

Terrance/Smithers Trip: Aug 19-28
« on: July 19, 2019, 07:14:20 PM »

Hello all,

I will be camping in Terrace from Aug 19-23, and in Smithers from Aug 23-28.

I'm hoping to get into some fish, but know nothing about the area. Can't afford a guide. I'll be on foot.
I'll be bringing everthing (spoon, spey, pin) except bar fishing gear.

I'm hoping to fish as many tribs as possible, or the main stem (how do you fish the main stem?? They seem to do it up there, but I never see people fish the main stem of the fraser unless they're bar fishing or flossing)

I would consider myself very experienced in all methods of fishing. Hoping to mainly spoon fish. Maybe spey a bit too.

Looking for any information, ideas, suggestions, etc. Feel free to PM or publically post.

Thank you!

EricBou

Re: Terrance/Smithers Trip: Aug 19-28
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 03:22:33 PM »

You can always stop by Oscars Fly & Tackle shop in Smithers...

They will be able to direct you...

And there is always First Nation land to be aware if you don't want any issue when accessing various fishing ground...

Make sure you check DFO website for the regulations... The Skeena River and its tributaries are under constant changes...

Have fun!

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 05:17:07 PM »

Steelhead and coho in the bulkley at that time.
Black and blue intruders.
Bring bear spray.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 07:08:01 PM »

I don't think bear spray is necessary. Though Skeena area is somehow not busy like Lower mainland, you won't always be alone, especially limited to a few walk-in spots. Also, I doubt anybody spray a grizzly efficiently when the bear run to that person.

You should narrow your target to salmon or steelhead. They requires different fishing approach. they are also in different river.

The skeena main will be muddy, but it is only wider than lower squamish river at most of places. The water is shallow but fish are abundant. fish one spot consistently will bump into different species.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 11:15:12 AM »

While proper bear avoidance behavior is more important, bear spray should be an essential item for anyone going into the back country. Studies done indicate bear spray is 90%+ effective in stopping 'undesirable behavior' for all 3 species. Based on the limited documented use of bear spray during a grizzly attack is thought to have reduced the severity of the attack. Bear expert Dr Stephen Herrero found that bear spray was more effective in stopping a bear charge than firearms.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 06:18:06 PM »

I don't think bear spray is necessary.

Good post by Ralph above ^

Hopefully you never need to use bear spray in defence, but the areas I have fished in the Skeena watershed definitely had its share of both black and grizzly bears and I wouldn’t fish without it.

cdjk123

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 06:34:10 PM »

Well, my heart just sank when I read this post from the DFO today...

https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=223639&ID=all&fbclid=IwAR3V2nsVGJmWwVO3nDX3hdDrXa66uoks7biraTsvul67qmNUbQgtTczQjUo

Looks like the DFO has closed all rec fishing on the Skeena watershed systems UFN.

So.....does this mean if I were to be fishing for...."trout"....I wouldn't be in trouble?

stsfisher

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2019, 07:41:32 AM »

So.....does this mean if I were to be fishing for...."trout"....I wouldn't be in trouble?

I would leave the quotations out of fishing for "trout" when asked and use the appropriate gear and you will be fine.  ::)

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2019, 07:58:52 AM »

I would leave the quotations out of fishing for "trout" when asked and use the appropriate gear and you will be fine.  ::)
Yeah, the regs here are very convoluted, but as far as I can tell it is legitimately open for steelhead fishing.  I would make it a point of having a steelhead conservation stamp for sure, even if not required (which they often are).

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2019, 09:11:04 AM »

Yeah, the regs here are very convoluted, but as far as I can tell it is legitimately open for steelhead fishing.  I would make it a point of having a steelhead conservation stamp for sure, even if not required (which they often are).

steelhead conservation stamp and classic water stamp are must to fish there. The CO is very frequently check anglers license.