Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Highway 3 fishing early August  (Read 3543 times)

CohoJake

• Old Timer
Highway 3 fishing early August
« on: July 10, 2019, 09:11:28 PM »

Ok, so I'm driving to my grandmother's funeral in Spokane on August 4 (from Bellingham) and thinking of driving back through BC along Highway 3 to Highway 1.  Any suggestions for shore fishing on that route?  Similkameen for trout?  I guess Skagit flyfishing is an option, but to be honest I haven't fly-fished much in the last 20 years.  I'm partial to streams for sure, but not totally opposed to other experiences with a guide in lakes.

dobrolub

Re: Highway 3 fishing early August
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 09:30:17 PM »

Ok, so I'm driving to my grandmother's funeral in Spokane on August 4 (from Bellingham) and thinking of driving back through BC along Highway 3 to Highway 1.  Any suggestions for shore fishing on that route?  Similkameen for trout?  I guess Skagit flyfishing is an option, but to be honest I haven't fly-fished much in the last 20 years.  I'm partial to streams for sure, but not totally opposed to other experiences with a guide in lakes.

hm... some ppl think that fishermen are absolutely crazy fixated on fishing, and I always thought... no, that can't be true. May be it is true though :)

You didn't have to mention the funeral part.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 09:44:22 PM »

hm... some ppl think that fishermen are absolutely crazy fixated on fishing, and I always thought... no, that can't be true. May be it is true though :)

Yeah, it all seriousness, I need the peace/getaway/relaxation.  Just looking to break up my drive with more time to myself.  It isn't like "oh grandma died, time to party!" more like time to get away and do some deep thinking.  She was a great old lady, and lived a long and good life.  Her father and grandfather drowned in the Spokane river 100 years ago back when there were giant Chinook salmon up there, before Grand Coulee dam wiped all those fish out forever.  So I'm looking for a place to get away and think about the past and my place in the universe.  And maybe kiss a trout on the lips and shed some tears.  Is that too much to ask?

dobrolub

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 10:10:37 PM »

I see... Can't make a recommendation on fishing, but I found reading Michael's Newtons' Destiny of Souls and Jorney of Souls consoling. Sorry about your loss.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 10:14:30 PM »

the best river you could fish along that route would be the Columbia between Trail and Castlegar. Very big and best with a boat. I understand there is some fishing from shore but you'd have to get good local info. Another good choice may be the Grandby directly north of Grand Forks. It's small but has some very good fish mixed in among the numerous coarse fish.  The rest of the Kettle System will be closed for summer. The Similkameen is ok but no more.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Jk47

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 08:39:18 AM »

Try Kettle River just west of Christina Lake. There’s a REALLY cool spot if you park in the gravel lot just west of the turn-off to the U.S. border about 1 km out of town. Look for a train tressel and you’ve found the right spot. Absolutely beautiful. As far as fishing there, check the regs- but I’ve swam in this amazing swimming hole and seen some decent bass and rainbows. Please report back if you decide to find this spot. You won’t be disappointed  ;) oh did I mention the giant rope swing?

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 09:20:00 AM »

Try Kettle River just west of Christina Lake. There’s a REALLY cool spot if you park in the gravel lot just west of the turn-off to the U.S. border about 1 km out of town. Look for a train tressel and you’ve found the right spot. Absolutely beautiful. As far as fishing there, check the regs- but I’ve swam in this amazing swimming hole and seen some decent bass and rainbows. Please report back if you decide to find this spot. You won’t be disappointed  ;) oh did I mention the giant rope swing?
Sounds like a cool spot worth checking out - but I just checked the regs and the Kettle is closed to fishing July 25-August 25.  Seems like an odd time for a spawning closure - maybe due to expected warm/low water?

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 10:01:00 AM »

And why not? It's part of Jake's story. And, I can think of no better way to break up a long road trip after a funeral than to fish moving waters in reflective, contemplative, solitude. Perhaps you'd rather he wear black and cry all the way home?   

So I'm looking for a place to get away and think about the past and my place in the universe.  And maybe kiss a trout on the lips and shed some tears.  Is that too much to ask?
Not at all. Well said.

Would you consider kissing a walleye on the lips. :) There can be good shore fishing, particularly in the evening, along the Columbia. Unfortunately I don't know where and local knowledge, per Ralph, would be key. 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 10:04:00 AM by clarki »

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 11:17:35 AM »

And why not? It's part of Jake's story. And, I can think of no better way to break up a long road trip after a funeral than to fish moving waters in reflective, contemplative, solitude. Perhaps you'd rather he wear black and cry all the way home?   
Not at all. Well said.

Would you consider kissing a walleye on the lips. :) There can be good shore fishing, particularly in the evening, along the Columbia. Unfortunately I don't know where and local knowledge, per Ralph, would be key.

I've never caught a walleye, but that sounds like fun.  I'll try to locate a local tackle shop or two.

Dylb

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2019, 12:04:02 PM »

Tons of trout and whitefish in the Similkameen. I fished it about a month ago when the water was high and murky, and still caught quite a few swinging small lures and flies. I would imagine if the water clarity was better by now then the fishing would be even more productive. Fish weren’t very big, largest rainbow was about 10” or so? Size of an average stocked rainbow I guess. But feisty and fun to fight with a light rod.

I don’t have much expertise on anything else in that area, but if you want some time for R&R and to let your mind wander while fishing, then that’s my recommendation.

Cheers!

cdjk123

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 05:19:47 PM »

similkameen is good for little trout and whitefish. Have fun