Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Video: The State of Fraser River Fisheries, Conversation with Dr Eric Taylor  (Read 1387 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pob7QzhXO4

I've been wanting to do this video for quite a long time now but the busy schedule kept me from getting there. Last month we finally managed to get together and have this conversation, and it was absolutely refreshing to talk to an academic again about fishery issues. Dr Eric Taylor, or Rick, once taught me when I attended UBC almost two decades ago. We stayed in touch over the years, I collected data for his bull trout research, we often pass fishery questions to each other, so has become a good friend who I respect a lot. He has been the chair of the Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada, behind the emergency assessment of Interior Fraser River steelhead. This video is a conversation we had a few weeks ago while I visited the Beaty Museum of Biodiversity. It's 45 minutes long, so there is fair amount of information to digest. The topics being discussed are mainly on Fraser River chinook salmon and Interior steelhead, the challenges when it comes to ensuring their sustainability, the frustrations with the Federal Government on these issues, etc. It doesn't provide all the answers, but I hope this keeps the conversations going, otherwise these fish are losing battle fast.