Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Leaders  (Read 4738 times)

armytruck

• Old Timer
Leaders
« on: June 05, 2019, 12:13:12 PM »

Trying to figure out a go to DIY tapered leader combo for my float line leader and my intermediate fly line . Any good combos to suggest ? .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Leaders
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 06:06:33 PM »

Depends what you will be using it for...

LeaderCacl is an Excel based formula and table (thousands of formulae) that's been around for a long time:

https://globalflyfisher.com/leadercalc

too many to use in several lifetimes.

A good general use taper is the Flip Pallot taper which I wrote about here some years ago: http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=32843.msg312491#msg312491

The entire discussion is here: http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=32843.0

For super long chironomid leaders many people use a long length or maybe 2 pieces of cheap fluorocarbon then add a swivel or tippet ring and then a few feet of fine tippet.

Many folks use a single piece of tippet but that gets expensive.

The Borger leader formula meet specific needs and usually just use 3 or 4 sections for a tapered leader vs some of the old style tapers that use close to a dozen.

Mostly I buy commercial leaders, add tippet and adjust and repair as the season goes on.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 06:41:34 PM »

Mainly for interior trout fishing . I was told by one that tying a say mono 12lb maxima to say 8lb to 6 then a fluorocarbon tippet. With that the roll over cast , laying out the line much straighter .

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 06:54:23 PM »

yeah that's what they say. There is really no standardized formula for that kind of fishing.

Traditionally you want to match the stiffness of the butt section to the end of the fly line...so 25lb for 6 weight and up 20lb below that otherwise the leader will hinge. Casting those long leaders isn't all that precise or demanding in terms of presentation. You are not casting far or caring much where it lands - get it out a ways and let it sink.

As I said I mostly use a commercial tapered leader for floating lines. For sinking lines for most cases I use 3 to 7 feet, shorter for fast sinking lines. For 3 or 4ft just use tippet of maybe a foot or 2 of heavier line (12 or 15lb). For a clear slow sink I'd use the Pallot formula and taper it to 6 or 7 feet. Some folks go longer.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 01:01:18 PM »

I used a RIO tapered leader at Roche Lake a couple weeks ago . Damn think ,couldn't get the curl out of it . Burnt my fingers trying . It was the Rio Flouralflex trout leader . I cut that one and tied on another one . Same thing . Took a bit to sink as well. That's when a guy there told me how he ties his as described in my other post . I watched his cast and like I said with the roll over on his cast was perfect . That's why I asked the question about how others may do differently .  :)

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 03:23:07 PM »

Thanks Ralph  ;D.
Ill go on Global

Old Blue

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2019, 04:38:04 PM »

For Chronie fishing I go 10lb maxima to a barrel swivel and then 3 to 6ft of 4 or 6 lb vanish.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 09:18:14 AM »

the main advantage of using a long relatively thin section of line (like 10 or 12lb) is it will sink faster and more uniformly than a thick 20lb section. Fluorocarbon will sink a little faster than nylon.