Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wanted: Lodge Chef and "Wharf Rat"  (Read 48222 times)

Coastal Springs

• Advertiser
    • Coastal Springs Float Lodge
Wanted: Lodge Chef and "Wharf Rat"
« on: May 13, 2019, 01:49:20 PM »

We currently have two job openings available for the upcoming season in July and August! :) Our float lodge is located at Knight Inlet in Central Coast BC.

Lodge Chef

Coastal Springs is in need of a Chef/Cook after our longtime chef retired. Our lodge has been around for 40 years and is a fun place to work, with most of our staff having been with us for many years.

We have always been very proud of our guests’ culinary experience at the lodge over the decades and take it very seriously. Our food has been unpretentious but creative and contemporary, very well executed homestyle fare.

Attributes:

- Very efficient with ordering and planning as we are in a remote location.
- Personable (will have direct contact with guests)
- Clean and organised in the space
- Adaptable and able to improvise
- Able to work in a smaller kitchen
- Experience cooking in remote resort/lodge setting a great asset

Services for:
- Brunch
- Dinner
- Dessert
- Light baking for continental breakfast

"Wharf Rat"

Coastal Springs is in need of a "wharf rat". Our lodge has been around for a long time and is a very fun place to work, with most of our staff having been with us for many years. This position's function is to keep the lodge moving and working behind the scenes, and to assist guides and the cook as needed. It is quite a bit of work with longer hours but it is a beautiful location with great people, and you are welcome to go fishing on your down time. Here are some of the responsibilities:

Inside:
Keeping the lodge in order
vacuuming
table setting
bathroom cleaning
keeping an eye on supply levels of certain materials
room cleaning on "changeover day"
laundry

Outside:
keeping the deck tidy
keeping tool shop organised
light carpentry
crabbing
prawning
assisting guides working on their vessels
pumping fuel
some painting
general maintainence and upkeep
bagging and sealing fish

Attributes

- very clean and very organized
- willing to learn
- personable
- able to take direction
- able to work both alone and as a team
- ability to drive a boat an asset
- mechanical aptitude an asset

If you are a young person hoping to become a guide in the future, this is a way to get in on the ground floor and be trained by the best. This is a seasonal camp position from June 20 to August 30 with a break or 2.

Please email coastalsprings@shaw.ca with resume and cover letter to apply. Thank you very much.
Coastal Springs Float Lodge
http://www.coastalsprings.net

SPEYMAN

Re: Wanted: Lodge Chef and "Wharf Rat"
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 03:11:15 PM »

Crabbing and Prawning? Please explain!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 03:34:06 PM »

Robert_G

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 04:18:46 PM »

How about giving us a wage scale? Nothing worse than looking through job adds that don't list what they pay.
Kind of like looking through Real Estate with no prices......

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 10:57:42 PM »

How about giving us a wage scale? Nothing worse than looking through job adds that don't list what they pay.

Agreed. Should be law that companies have to post the wage.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 10:58:11 AM »

theirs a reason the wage isn't listed. if it was no one would apply. couldn't agree more with you guys.

not trying to pick on the original poster. this goes to all people who post employment.

Old Blue

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 11:34:03 AM »

You're beating the poster up about wage?  If someone was interested they'd look into it further. 

Guaranteed it's a "low wage" but with a share of the tips, also no where to spend it plus the added bonus of fish you can you take home at the end of the season it adds up to some decent money saved.

Good luck in your search Coastal Springs and have a great season.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 11:35:27 AM »

Sheesh, three guys complaining about something that you probably aren't interested in applying for anyways.  ::)

An email address was given. If it's that important to know, ask.

We don't need laws governing job postings. 

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 12:03:08 PM »

so what do you expect people to do. email them and ask how much your paying. thats real professional. lets save us both some time and list the wage. for some jobs sure it might be more difficult but for a "wharf rat" it shouldn't be that hard.

i think employers are missing out on potential talent by not listing a wage. we dont work for fun, well most of us don't. if i see no wage listed i just move on unless its says wage negotiable.

like i said in my original post, i'm not trying to beat up on the original poster. just something i agree with the other posters on.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 01:16:39 PM »

Why not ? There are boat loads of useless laws in this country. I am in favor of employers having to post a wage. I believe it forces employers to be more competitive and creative when it comes to retaining talent. When I post a job for my company, I always look at what is out there and if I am offering enough. When I worked in the trades I noticed employers ( who didnt advertise a wage) would always bring me in, pay me bottom dollar and string me along in with hope of one day making more. Basically enslaving me I couldn't afford to miss a day of work.

Should be law in my opinion.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 01:21:36 PM by Hike_and_fish »

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 02:25:22 PM »

If you are serious, you will ask privately.
It ain't the roe bro'

GordJ

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 03:22:45 PM »

Sheesh, three guys complaining about something that you probably aren't interested in applying for anyways.  ::)

An email address was given. If it's that important to know, ask.

Oh, quit it! Everybody with entry level jobs wants their salary advertised, we don’t have enough really, really stupid laws now so let’s get one more, nothing says “professional” like telling the world and your competitors what your costs are and these people have the right to educate the lodge on what’s the correct way to run their business. I, personally, think it’s stupid to advertise fishing lodge, entry level jobs on a fishing orientated site and to make someone actually contact you for information is just silly.

Hohummm

• I'm a llama! and llamas are bigger than frogs
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2019, 08:08:28 AM »

hmmm working at a beautiful location, room, board and flights in/out provided(I assume), tips, all the seafood you can eat... Beats working at a mindless job in town any day. It's been many years since I was there but I would jump at the opportunity if I was 30+ years younger!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2019, 01:00:23 PM »

hmmm working at a beautiful location, room, board and flights in/out provided(I assume), tips, all the seafood you can eat... Beats working at a mindless job in town any day. It's been many years since I was there but I would jump at the opportunity if I was 30+ years younger!

You forgot being able to get out and fish for a few hours once every few days too. ;)

It's a lot of work and long hours but yes all of the perks above make it a great opportunity for a young individual who enjoys working in that environment and wants to become a guide or run his or her own business in the industry eventually.

As for the pay details, email Cam the lodge owner and I'm sure he'd be very happy to provide you all the information.

Not saying if it is right or wrong, but it is the business' choice to not list that information. There usually isn't a shortage of applicants when these opportunities get posted on our website, those who really want the job would not hesitate to enquire further.

If you are outraged by it, then lobby for changes at the government. It's not going to make a difference by complaining about it here.

SPEYMAN

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2019, 07:22:27 PM »

When did it become legal to catch crabs and prawns on a sport fishing license and sell them to guests of a lodge in the form of meals?