Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: NFR: This summer's movies?  (Read 6010 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
NFR: This summer's movies?
« on: August 06, 2004, 01:28:27 AM »

Ok, time to have some fun. It's been a long long day for me, and still not over (I estimate another two hours of work before bed, then I have to take a bunch of kids fishing at 10am.... :-X) so I need some entertainment. So, let's talk movies. :)

We were disappointed by last year's releases, there wasn't any good flick. This year, different story, I have really enjoyed some of the movies.

Troy is probably the best one so far this year. :)I, Robot and The Village are also up there. King Arthur, big disappointment. :-\

Let's hear yours. :)

TtotheE

Re:NFR: This summer's movies?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2004, 08:46:30 AM »

Let's see, really haven't been out to see many movies at all, but I can tell you about the 2 I can remember watching. One because it was good and the other because it was bad.

The Stepford Wives:  I think this one should have remained a book,  not that I've read the book,  but the movie was terrible.  It had its humorous moments,  but otherwise you could read the plot.  I hate those kinda movies...

Spiderman2:  This gets my vote for the best movie of the year(altho I've only watched 2!!)  Great action scenes!  I really liked some of the camera work.  The best part of the movie I think is the character development,  not so much the plot.

TLotR - RotK:  Haven't watched this yet as I'm anxiously awaiting the extended version on DVD.

joedavis

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2004, 09:09:03 AM »

For me, Spiderman 2 was the best film so far this year, with LOTR RTOK second. Shrek 2 was Good, but not as good as the first one. I also liked Farenheit 9/11.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2004, 10:08:19 AM »

the bourne supremacy and fahrenheit 911

Nina

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2004, 10:12:15 AM »

Actually, I disagree with rodney (what a surprise...... ;D )

I thought I, Robot was probably the best movie I have seen in years.

Van Helsing I though was good too.

Spiderman 2 I though was better than the first one.

The Village really surpised me since I expected something in the range of Signs (and I really didnt like signs...). The Village is definitely worth seeing if you liked 6th sense.

I was a bit disappointed with Troy but it was still way way better than Arthur, that movie was a big disappointment.

Have you noticed that movies with medieval or old roman settings are really popular now? There's another one coming out in november about Alexander the Great. I wouldn't be surprised if Homers Odyssey was to made into a movie also.
Not that I mind, I like those kind of movies  ;D
And its a good way to introduce young people to ancient history.

I guess these kind of movies are popular right now because people are fed up with reality with its wars and terror attacks, I dunno.... ???

joedavis

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2004, 10:37:47 AM »

>>Have you noticed that movies with medieval or old roman settings are really popular now?

That's Hollywood reacting to the success of the Lord of the Rings franchise. They have to cash in while this genre is hot.

Nina

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2004, 10:41:30 AM »

That's Hollywood reacting to the success of the Lord of the Rings franchise. They have to cash in while this genre is hot.

So true, but I still like it because I was never a huge fan of action/thriller movies (except I, Robot)  ;D

Mabelingwane

• Mabelingwane Hunting safari's
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2004, 01:48:28 PM »

I’m getting Hidalgo tonight on DVD, Hope it’s as good as it looks.

I still want to see The Village.

Coming to think of it, I haven’t been out to the flick in a while. I need to remedy that before the babies arrive in October, Then it’s all gone... no, fishing, no hunting, no time.....lol
A strong man won't let anyone get the best of him... but a man of strength gives the best of himself to everyone.

Nina

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2004, 03:53:38 PM »

Did ya all know Viggo Mortensen is Danish??  ;D  ;D  ;D

Neat Freak

• Birdnest King!
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2004, 05:06:51 PM »

Saw Spider Man 2 and so far that has been the best this summer. Also saw The Bourne Supremacy and that was okay. I thought Troy was kind of a dud. Not that many good films this year. I thought the Day After Tomorrow would be good, but after seeing it, I was a little disappointed. I'm curious about The Village. The critics don't like it, but most regulat theatre-goer's think it's good. I'm torn on that one. Going to see the new Tom Cruise flick, Collateral, tonight. It's been well reviewed, so hopefully I won't be disappointed.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2004, 06:11:43 PM »

what, no mention of starksy and hutch?,the new spidey looks pretty good as does the village, hard to find suspencefull movies.Also Boune S. looks cool and the alien predator thing should be sweet.And I robot should be a blast to watch as well.Oh ya also want to see Fareinheight, cant miss a good documertery ;D
hmm, seems to be a trend with summer movies here, no more Amiles thats for sure.

leaping steely

• Old Timer
  • Who goes fishing anymore?
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2004, 06:26:24 PM »

I’m getting Hidalgo tonight on DVD, Hope it’s as good as it looks.

Saw it in theatres. It was, Okay......, not my type of movie though. I like more action

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2004, 07:41:46 PM »

I watch a lot of DVDs and don't go to theater much, so I'll be watching this summer's movies probably in a year or so.  While in Vancouver I did catch 9/11, and that was a nice experience, but it was mostly because of sitting in a full theatre with people who were intensely interested.  Michael Moore was pretty much preaching to the choir with me, so I liked the movie, but I doubt that it will have much legs other than as a documentary that influenced an election at a very important moment in my country's history.  At least I hope it influences this election.

My most enjoyable night out this summer (sorta related, huh?) was also in Vancouver, and it was live music:  Fourth of July Toilet's Rock Fantasy was an absolute blast, and the group of four pre-teens that led off for them, The Penguins, also blew me away.

BirdNester

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2004, 10:10:32 PM »

Spiderman II - I took my son and 6 of his friends for his birthday, I almost left them there, what a piece of crap

Fahrenheit 9/11 - Walked in knowing I would love it, teared up 3 times (don't tell anyone I said that)

Watched Torque the other day, possibly one of the worst movies ever made. (growing out of the hack, ridiculous action scenes)

Fulcrum - Scarface is the greatest movie ever made, Al Pacino is king
"Look at you, so pretty, all these guys in love with you, only you got a look in your eye, liked you haven't fished in a year"

RobertO & EbertO
« Last Edit: August 06, 2004, 10:34:07 PM by BirdNester »