Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Take care when preparing for Steelhead fishing !  (Read 2479 times)

Morty

Take care when preparing for Steelhead fishing !
« on: December 31, 2018, 07:14:36 PM »

Because I work at a desk in a small office, during an average day I don't always get in my 10,000 steps on my FitBit.  Therefore I try to get out walking around the neighbourhood.  On rainy days I typically, and logically, wear my Fall/Winter fishing jacket.

I noticed recently that the rain was no longer beading up nicely but seemed to be just soaking the fabric.  Therefore I decided it was time to apply some new waterproofing.  To the internet I go to search fishing and outdoor websites for the How-To's, products, and consumer comments.   Once I had decided on a couple of potential products I was off to SportCheck and Atmosphere.  (all the good fishing shops are too far away from me)  Atmosphere was the most helpful and Barbara there set me up with some Revivex Instant Waterproofing.

After getting it home a carefully read all the instructions on both the spray can, and the laundry tag inside the jacket.  Next I dutifully wiped the exterior of the jacket with a sponge with mild soapy water and set the jacket to fully dry. 

The next day I packed all the pockets with newspaper so that all the wrinkles were out of them and the full surface could be sprayed.  Following that it was out to the garage so I could spray "in a well vented area".  Very conveniently, in the garage there was a family heirloom highchair that I had just restored which made for a great holder for my jacket while I sprayed it.  I covered the highchair with plastic sheeting to protect it and then carefully arranged the jacket around the new found holder.

I reached behind me to get the waterproofing off the workbench and proceeded to shake the can well.  Next I carefully maintained a proper spray distance from the jacket surfaces, worked my way around the body, pockets, sleeves, and collar.  All way  going VERY WELL. 

The spray seemed to dry quite quickly, and in my interest to make sure it was well water-proofed I got interested in learning how soon I could apply a second coat.  When I looked at the can for instructions I was shocked to see that I had picked-up, and sprayed my jacket, with the quick dry CLEAR LACQUER that I had used on the highchair.

The jacket is surprisingly supple and is in fact water-repellent - but a bit too shiny for fishing.

You can't be too careful when getting prepared for winter fishing !!
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Take care when preparing for Steelhead fishing !
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 07:46:13 PM »

At least we can spot you on the river ! :D

arimaBOATER

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 09:31:46 PM »

Sounds like a blunder I might do too.
Preparing well to get everything just right but make critical mistake in procedures.
Let me tell ya a story or two that will make ya feel better.
Drove for a bus co in the prairies for awhile. Some of the buses were parked in a big building & older buses outside in a fenced commercial yard. After a 7-8 hr day I backed the bus into this sardine can building. The big boss was in the building & as I backed up he stood & helped me. As I got inches from a back wall he waved his hands for me to stop !
So another day after a busy day I was backing the bus into this sardine building & just so happen the big boss was standing at the same spot. Backed the bus ever so slowly & I have him in my side mirror.
Kept inching the bus back looking for him to wave his hand "the signal for me to stop. BANG the taillight smashed on the wall !!! His face was red as a beet !!! High blood pressure !!! Anger !!! Told him that I thought he 's wave his hand. Off he stormed into the offices.
Another job was at Seagrams Whisky bottling plant. My position was the scrambler. Take bottles from the box into a feeder &'within seconds the bottles were zipping down the bottling line...being auto filled with booze ,labels, capped & boxed... It was one of the hardest jobs at this factory because the bottles in the box had to be put in the scrambler ( feeder. ) all at once. The box the empty bottles came in had a dust layer...so ya would be breathing in this fine dust. If a bottle broke I'd have to stop the feeder & sweep up the broken glass & fill with new bottles & restart. When the bottling line was shut the white collar supervisors (2-3-4 of them ) would appear out of thin air shouting to get that line going again !!!!
cupcakes ! Got my heart beating. Then one really serious never smiling supervisor Arnold came to me one day & took me off the scrambler / bottle feeder job & brought me to the end of the bottling line & gave me the most easy job ever. Sit on a stool & where there was a Y in the conveyer belt ...most of the time boxes with filled ready to ship alcohol would freely come down these lines & go to a warehouse on this property but sometimes 2 boxes got stuck at the Y intersection. My job was to simply push a box to allow the other box to move on...then simply allow the other box to also go to the warehouse.
Thought I'd show off to the many girls working in the area where I was. Put up my feet & closed my eyes & tried to look like a big shot ! In my mind was only going to do this for 30 secs. Then look attentive again. Who knows where those bosses were. As I closed my eyes suddenly heard the loudest SCREAM !!!
Dam it was Arnold !!! He came around at the wrong moment. Commanded I follow him ....yep he put me back on the scrambler/feeder machine. In both cases I worked 99% that day & did a super dependable job & just for that small mistake wrecked the day !!!! Morty hope ya feel better reading about my mistake.

mvelasco

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 09:10:21 AM »

I typically resort to the wash in repellent for garments. Had my first go with the waders too but probably going to apply spray as well. Be sure to use a techwash before hand though.

Jk47

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 01:49:14 PM »

....When you show up at the river with your Tupperware full of chum roe only to discover it’s a Tupperware full of last night’s leftovers  :-[

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 10:33:29 AM »

I'm having a chuckle at your expense, Morty!  ;)