Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jon Boats  (Read 1804 times)

Barbelface

Jon Boats
« on: December 01, 2018, 10:04:05 AM »

I've now relocated full time to Victoria and don't have the luxury of many rivers and streams close by to fish. There are some nice lakes though so I'm thinking its about time I started taking up Fly Fishing.

What is the general recommendation for small fishing boats (only 1-2 people) on fairly calm waters. I read that Jon boats are quite stable? also the lake I'm going to fish has a motor ban so will use a electric troller for propulsion.

Would used be a good option? If so what kind of prices should I be looking at for a 10-12' oat.

Cheers

DanL

• Old Timer
Re: Jon Boats
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 10:39:23 AM »

There is a big difference in accommodating 1 vs 2 people comfortably IMHO.

10' is fine for 1 person, cramped for 2. 12' or even 14' would be better for 2, but maybe awkward for one person if cartopping it.

You could look at something like the new Lowe 1040/1240 jons. Starts at around $1000.

If you have the budget, a Marlon or Spratley are like the cadillac options. Built like tanks and will set you back around $2000. They are also significantly heavier.

Used is a good option, though jons tend to hold their value pretty well and not as common in the used market.

Have you considered a pre-owned 12' V-hull? They come up all the time on craigslist and are more versatile IMHO. Jons are great for stability, but have their downsides too. What type of fishing are planning on doing most?

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 10:46:38 AM »

Tracker makes a great Jon boat. Really good price too. I think the 12' was $850 with tax when I bought mine. So many brands to chose from. I chose Tracker because of the weight, price vs construction. Best bang for the buck

Barbelface

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 12:03:12 PM »

There is a big difference in accommodating 1 vs 2 people comfortably IMHO.

10' is fine for 1 person, cramped for 2. 12' or even 14' would be better for 2, but maybe awkward for one person if cartopping it.

You could look at something like the new Lowe 1040/1240 jons. Starts at around $1000.

If you have the budget, a Marlon or Spratley are like the cadillac options. Built like tanks and will set you back around $2000. They are also significantly heavier.

Used is a good option, though jons tend to hold their value pretty well and not as common in the used market.

Have you considered a pre-owned 12' V-hull? They come up all the time on craigslist and are more versatile IMHO. Jons are great for stability, but have their downsides too. What type of fishing are planning on doing most?

The lake im looking to fish is well sheltered and fairly small. I plan on trying a bit of fly fishing and/or casting to shore for bass. 99% of the time it would just be me in the boat. Weight will be a factor if i'm loading and unloading by myself.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 05:20:53 PM »

Just dont get one of the 32 inch wide models as they are pretty tippy.
I think any of the newer 1240,s would be a good pick.
Just make sure you compare when looking at things like height of sides etc.
As far as electric motors go it would be hard to beat any MinnKota with the Maximizer feature but the 40lb thrust is probably the most popular.
Have fun boat shopping and oh yah dont forget all the other goodies you will need such as rod holders and anchor locks etc.