Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Heart of the Fraser  (Read 4948 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
The Heart of the Fraser
« on: November 26, 2018, 03:47:02 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw_RLe1D2x0

This precious stretch of the river between Mission and Hope, less than two hours drive from Vancouver, provides prime spawning habitat for salmon and white sturgeon and serves as a nursery for millions of baby salmon every year. Two large islands in the Heart of the Fraser are under imminent threat. Herrling and Carey Islands not only provide a large amount of vital fish habitat but are an important area for fishing and outdoor recreation.

Developers have applied to build bridges to these islands which, if approved, would lead to the destruction of critical fish habitat for agriculture or subdivisions. This could also increase flood risk in the surrounding communities. These bridges must not be approved!

Please sign the pledge at:

https://www.heartofthefraser.ca

Robert_G

Re: The Heart of the Fraser
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 04:03:18 PM »

Do they not realize that the 1948 flood probably would have destroyed any development on those islands? If they develop on them....I hope it floods the next year and washes it all away.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 08:08:46 PM »

Do they not realize that the 1948 flood probably would have destroyed any development on those islands? If they develop on them....I hope it floods the next year and washes it all away.

I've never agreed more with anything you've said!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 06:09:41 AM »

signed.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

fishdreamer

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 08:32:49 AM »

Signed

cabro

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 03:38:51 PM »

Signed

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 09:17:49 PM »

signed
It ain't the roe bro'

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 09:50:58 PM »

Everyone should sign this.
Its a no brainer imo.

clarki

• Old Timer

arimaBOATER

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 03:58:09 PM »

Think the developers will win. Big plus for their pockets & big loss for the fish habitant.
50-60 years ago even large parts of Coquitlam had lots of acres of wild treed areas & fish in their creeks.
Slowly the trees got chopped & homes built. Look at the south side of Pt Coquitlam. Forested on the hill right up to the Fraser River. Now wall to wall box homes. Looks so ugly.
But the powers that be have stopped for now at least the pipeline against Alberta /Ottawa wishes...70 million daily loss to government purses...well maybe "The Heart of the Fraser" will be saved from over development.  Good sentence for all occasions ...never give up!

tokyo_tomato

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 05:12:34 PM »

signed

big_fish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2018, 05:16:07 PM »

Think the developers will win. Big plus for their pockets & big loss for the fish habitant.
50-60 years ago even large parts of Coquitlam had lots of acres of wild treed areas & fish in their creeks.
Slowly the trees got chopped & homes built. Look at the south side of Pt Coquitlam. Forested on the hill right up to the Fraser River. Now wall to wall box homes. Looks so ugly.
But the powers that be have stopped for now at least the pipeline against Alberta /Ottawa wishes...70 million daily loss to government purses...well maybe "The Heart of the Fraser" will be saved from over development.  Good sentence for all occasions ...never give up!

Translation, not signed lol ::)

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2018, 07:48:04 PM »

Off topic here but FWI the government of Alberta has purchased trains and has plans ( or threats ) of moving oil by train to the coast.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2018, 09:23:25 PM »

Translation, not signed lol ::)
Never sign on the WWW.
Too much personal info has to be given. But that's old foggy me who knows squat about the finer pts of technology. Love to sign but ....so what I'll do is pray from my heart for the fishes.  :)
Fish & Hike as long as the trains do not derail along the mighty Fraser......
Solution...make 100 trains daily going west with oil but only 30 miles per hr.
Union would like it & of course many jobs but think of the diesel exhaust from those locomotives !!!

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2018, 12:21:17 AM »

No brainer.
Signed.