Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sage gear are spey rod blanks?  (Read 4644 times)

MetalAndFeathers

Sage gear are spey rod blanks?
« on: November 19, 2018, 09:24:01 AM »

Met someone from a local tackle store who was quite sure that sage centerpin blanks are actually just switch and spey rods that are just labeled as a pin. The action on my sage is nowhere near the same as my spey rod although he claimed that his sages are extremely noodle and limp. Is this true?

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: Sage gear are spey rod blanks?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 09:34:22 AM »

No. Not even close.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 10:38:58 AM »

uhh, care to name the tackle store??

Brian Babcock

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 10:51:56 AM »

Not knowing which tackle store is involved, I want to give them the benefit of the doubt on this. Apparently, the person in question referred to Sage centerpin rods specifically. There was a time, perhaps 10 years ago or so, when building Sage spey blanks into centerpin rods was very popular in the East - primarily in Ontario. This could explain the confusion.

Having said this, any Sage Gear blanks that most of us here in the West are familiar with - 3113M & L, 3106, 2106, 3106L, 2106L, etc., etc..... are most definitely not spey blanks. The entire Gear offering is a totally unique category with it's own mandrels, graphite materials, and finishes.

Hope this clears it up.

Brian

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 05:29:46 PM »

Buddy had an old Sage that was made from a fly rod blank.
It was a baitcaster set-up and a very nice little rod.
Unfortunately he left it at the river one day. :'(

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 07:16:03 AM »

Buddy had an old Sage that was made from a fly rod blank.
It was a baitcaster set-up and a very nice little rod.
Unfortunately he left it at the river one day. :'(

I built a similar rod with a Batson spey blank. The 4pc rod is great for transport but I found it a bit slow action for casting distance with a levelwind.
http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=29043.0

ByteMe

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 09:31:46 AM »

If rod mfgs had their way, we would all have a different rod for each species of fish and conditions. I have been using a 11.3ft Clarius centrepin rod with the sliding rings over the past few years as a dual purpose rod both on the beach for coho and in the rivers. When fishing the beach it tosses a 250gr Commando head with a poly leader easily out to 80 plus feet in perfect conditions both OH casts and spey casts....when conditions get windy or the fish are further out I put on a spinning reel and toss 3/8oz spoons. On the rivers if conditions are too high for fly fishing , I put on the centrepin reel. No fish that I ever caught has ever asked me what type or style of rod I was using, best $90 investment ever made
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 06:41:41 PM »

Having said this, any Sage Gear blanks that most of us here in the West are familiar with - 3113M & L, 3106, 2106, 3106L, 2106L, etc., etc..... are most definitely not spey blanks. The entire Gear offering is a totally unique category with it's own mandrels, graphite materials, and finishes.

Hope this clears it up.

Brian

are those blanks still part of the regular product line? I can't find any listing for current in product Sage Centre pin blanks and their long rods are mostly switch or spey rods.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

ByteMe

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2018, 08:31:04 AM »

are those blanks still part of the regular product line? I can't find any listing for current in product Sage Centre pin blanks and their long rods are mostly switch or spey rods.

Here ya go Ralph

http://hooklineandsinker.ca/sage-fishing-rods-spey-to-float-centerpin-conversions/
                                         Lefty Kreh

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2018, 08:43:03 AM »

I think Ralph is referring to the Sage gear rods.
Brian Babcock controls those blanks/rods and makes them available to tackle shops.
I don’t know if he has a website but you can contact him for details.

John Revolver

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2018, 09:28:21 PM »

If rod mfgs had their way, we would all have a different rod for each species of fish and conditions. I have been using a 11.3ft Clarius centrepin rod with the sliding rings over the past few years as a dual purpose rod both on the beach for coho and in the rivers. When fishing the beach it tosses a 250gr Commando head with a poly leader easily out to 80 plus feet in perfect conditions both OH casts and spey casts....when conditions get windy or the fish are further out I put on a spinning reel and toss 3/8oz spoons. On the rivers if conditions are too high for fly fishing , I put on the centrepin reel. No fish that I ever caught has ever asked me what type or style of rod I was using, best $90 investment ever made

REALLY!?  I have the exact same shimano 11.3 med/light clarus rod I use for pinning. Im a fly guy first and foremost and I have a 325gr commando head in my collection. I think I'll rig up my clarus and see how it tosses ha. I love experimenting with oddball line/weight/rod combos.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2018, 10:03:16 PM »

REALLY!?  I have the exact same shimano 11.3 med/light clarus rod I use for pinning. Im a fly guy first and foremost and I have a 325gr commando head in my collection. I think I'll rig up my clarus and see how it tosses ha. I love experimenting with oddball line/weight/rod combos.

It could work. The clarus rod is quite a noodle action. I broke one on its first trip

ByteMe

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2018, 08:50:26 AM »

Your 325gr Commando might be too heavy for the rod as it's rated for lures to 1/2oz which is 225grs, that's why I use the 250gr, as the rod has no clue whether it's a 1/2oz chunk of lead or 1/2oz fly line, just stay with it's parameters give or take a few grains, works like a charm :)
                                         Lefty Kreh

ByteMe

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2018, 08:54:58 AM »

It could work. The clarus rod is quite a noodle action. I broke one on its first trip

Been doing it for 3yrs, awesome combo, beats carrying 2 rods around,.......plus Shimano has a great warranty ;)
                                         Lefty Kreh