Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Folding Landing Nets  (Read 3690 times)

ShaunO

Folding Landing Nets
« on: November 01, 2018, 01:39:03 PM »

I tread lightly, but pack heavy for most of my fishing adventures and am trying to find a quality landing net that I can pack in with me and folds down small enough to still bush whack and not get snagged up at every turn.  I need the hoop and bag to be big enough for Chinooks and want a knotless bag with a coating for C&R.  I came across a brand called StowMaster that I know very little about but it seems like they make a pretty compact unit.  Does anyone here have any experience with StowMaster or perhaps another brand of landing net that fits the bill?

Cheers!!

ShaunO

Shinny

Re: Folding Landing Nets
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 02:05:26 PM »

All the hip scene’sters are using Moby Landing nets these days. They don’t fold up BUT when someone sees you with one they are immediately going to assume your a “top rod” who has landed fish today or is definitely about too.  :P

I found a nice knotless folding landing net washed up in a side channel on chehalis a few years back. Haven’t used it much but if I can find it at home and grab a name off it I will let ya know who makes it.

ShaunO

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 03:34:20 PM »

All the hip scene’sters are using Moby Landing nets these days. They don’t fold up BUT when someone sees you with one they are immediately going to assume your a “top rod” who has landed fish today or is definitely about too.  :P

I found a nice knotless folding landing net washed up in a side channel on chehalis a few years back. Haven’t used it much but if I can find it at home and grab a name off it I will let ya know who makes it.

Thanks Shinny! 

The whole Moby net /top rod thing reminds me of skiing in Whistler in the 90's and the large number of tourist from Japan that were absolutely geared up with everything top of the line - Descente ski suits, Tecnica bindings, etc. etc. - only to be falling all over themselves of every green run our there!  Hahahahaha... those were fun times.

Shinny

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 03:38:23 PM »

Thanks Shinny! 

The whole Moby net /top rod thing reminds me of skiing in Whistler in the 90's and the large number of tourist from Japan that were absolutely geared up with everything top of the line - Descente ski suits, Tecnica bindings, etc. etc. - only to be falling all over themselves of every green run our there!  Hahahahaha... those were fun times.

Hahaha.. Yes I know exactly what your talking about. I heard that back then It was cheaper for tourists from Japan to come over here and buy all the high end gear and then sell it after than it would be to purchase in Japan and bring it over. Either way I totally remember those days. Fluorescent one piece descente suits and 205cm long skiis.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 03:59:41 PM »

The gibbs delta net for $24. the handle claps. I stuffed the handle with styrofoam so the net float. Moby guys laugh at me and call the net garbage. But the net handles everything well and no need to be taken care of.

ShaunO

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 05:20:46 PM »

The gibbs delta net for $24. the handle claps. I stuffed the handle with styrofoam so the net float. Moby guys laugh at me and call the net garbage. But the net handles everything well and no need to be taken care of.

I'm pretty sure I have that net for fishing on the chuck.  It's a hell of a net for that low price!  That said, I want one that I can lash to my pack and hump through the bush with without having to untie it from every branch and bramble.  I was thinking about taking the Gibbs net you were talking about and getting some parts 3D printed to try and make it a collapsible hoop but then I saw something shiny and was distracted.

colin6101

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 05:28:42 PM »

Not sure where you can find this now, but I purchased this net for $30 at Army and Navy a few years back and it has been awesome in my kayak and fishing for salmon on foot.

https://promarnets.com/product/swing-landing-net/

essyoo

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 10:02:19 AM »

I just picked up one of these. Haven't even opened it up yet, but for $10 (on sale right now) it looks like a great value so far.

https://www.armyandnavy.ca/products/streamside-folding-telescopic-net

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 08:50:51 AM »

I just picked up one of these. Haven't even opened it up yet, but for $10 (on sale right now) it looks like a great value so far.

https://www.armyandnavy.ca/products/streamside-folding-telescopic-net

The link doesn't work.

b8floater

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 08:49:01 PM »

I carry one similar to this one. I've added a carabiner to the handle so I can snap it to a back strap or loop.
https://www.amazon.ca/Docooler-Portable-Lightweight-Folding-Fishing/dp/B01N4X0ISB/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1542084359&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=fishing+net&psc=1

essyoo

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2018, 11:50:33 AM »

The link doesn't work.

Looks like they've since taken it down.