Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Centerpin setup and casting beginner question  (Read 12998 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Centerpin setup and casting beginner question
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2018, 10:09:36 PM »

The external fittings will vary for sure. Guides in particular will be different. There is no specific form of handle for any rod and there is much subjective about the shape of the cork. There is also no specific way to hold a spey or switch. Switches tend to have relatively short for handles compared to Spey or CP rods. Nor is there any specific way to hold the rod. Some hold them closer to the reel seat than others. Long fore handles on Spey rods are for playing fish not necessarily casting leverage. These days Spey and switch rods tend to be much faster than the classic CP flex which may be what some people like.

Due to the torque of their intended casts, Spey and switch blanks have to be designed to cope with far more twist along their length than any other rod. As I said I have heard of people who use switch rods with CP reels and are satisfied with the performance. I have never heard of anyone who has used a drift or CP rods as a switch or spey rod and been satisfied.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 07:14:00 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2018, 10:11:52 PM »

theres a fenwick in the classifieds for $80

not mine but just saw it

John Revolver

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2018, 06:06:23 PM »

However some switch rods work well as a CP rod. Single handed fly rods have also been used with a CP reel. I have used my Echo #8 with my old silex and it's a nice combination.

I've done the exact same. Sometimes during steelhead season I'll start swinging in the lower c/v and if I want to head up and fish some pockets I'll bring my cp reel and swap it on my echo dh#8 and it works great. Versatile set up when I dont want to bring multi rods.

Back to the topic of the thread,  just like everyone else has said you have to let the reel spin first before you start your forward casting stroke.  Also, this might seem counter intuitive but the less effort you put into the cast the better. Let the weight properly LOAD the rod for you and use its natural spring action to cast the line out.

Here is one of my favourite CP casting instructional videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNAUHV1qAk8

This dude is so chill ha 

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2018, 07:36:14 PM »

I switched to Fenwick HMX 10'6" media 8-15lb spinning rod, 35g float, 1oz weight. Release the spool at the beginning of the swing, the float fly to where it suppose to be.

Thanks everybody for the tips.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2018, 10:43:22 PM »

I switched to Fenwick HMX 10'6" media 8-15lb spinning rod, 35g float, 1oz weight. Release the spool at the beginning of the swing, the float fly to where it suppose to be.

Thanks everybody for the tips.

Just curious, why did you buy a second spinning rod for center pin casting? Your experience will be enriched by purchasing a rod ergonomically designed to be used with a center pin reel.

The huge guides on a spinning rod will be a slight hinderance to your casting distance and control.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2018, 11:39:21 PM »

Just curious, why did you buy a second spinning rod for center pin casting? Your experience will be enriched by purchasing a rod ergonomically designed to be used with a center pin reel.

The huge guides on a spinning rod will be a slight hinderance to your casting distance and control.

I am new to centerpin so not sure how I will love centerpin. I am so used to spinning rod. only because the centerpin reel is so cheap, I want to learn a  bit. I might use centerpin on spey rod as well.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 11:41:35 PM by psd1179 »

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2018, 12:49:40 PM »

I am new to centerpin so not sure how I will love centerpin. I am so used to spinning rod. only because the centerpin reel is so cheap, I want to learn a  bit. I might use centerpin on spey rod as well.

If you already have a spey rod then by all means try your pin reel out on it. Why not. However if you don't have a spey rod please do yourself a favor and for your next rod purchase by yourself a proper center pin rod (!)

Yes you "can" use 2-handed fly rods, or spinning rods, but there is a reason 99% of the ppl you see fishing a center pin reel have it on a proper center pin rod - it's the best tool for the job. Considering you are new to center pin casting you will enjoy it more if you use the most appropriate tool for the job.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2018, 01:50:56 PM »

please define 'proper centre pin rod' - hee hee - no need to answer as there are as likely close to as many answers as there are rod designers.

The main reason to suggest a switch rod is that you may have one. I have both a CP rod and a switch. I have had the CP rod longer. I can't say which one I like more when fished in a centre pin configuration. The switch has a much lighter feel though I would hesitate to challenge it with a big chum or a spring.

The good news is there are now lots of options in pin rods and at very reasonable price points.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2018, 07:09:36 PM »

If you already have a spey rod then by all means try your pin reel out on it. Why not. However if you don't have a spey rod please do yourself a favor and for your next rod purchase by yourself a proper center pin rod (!)

Yes you "can" use 2-handed fly rods, or spinning rods, but there is a reason 99% of the ppl you see fishing a center pin reel have it on a proper center pin rod - it's the best tool for the job. Considering you are new to center pin casting you will enjoy it more if you use the most appropriate tool for the job.

If you walk into a fishing store and say "where are your centerpin rods?" Those ones. I realize the blank its self is simialr to a mooching blank or switch blank, or trigger rod blank. I realise you "can" put a pin reel on a spinning rod, or switch rod, or full lenght spey rod, or mooching rod, and so on. My point it the OP is new to pin casting and is having issues casting well. Therefore a rod with the cork and reel seat height designed for optimal pin casting is the best choice for a beginner.

Once you get the "easy rod" down then I would feel free to experiment with more funky options. I have pin casted with all of the above mentioned rods and they all work, but if I loan out a set up to a beginner to try it's always my fenwick HMX pin rod. 10"6, med power. Super easy to cast and get a feel for things.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2018, 07:53:50 PM »

but if I loan out a set up to a beginner to try it's always my fenwick HMX pin rod. 10"6, med power. Super easy to cast and get a feel for things.

Is the fenwick HMX pin rod the mooching model? I did not find one on the website

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2018, 09:55:47 AM »

Is the fenwick HMX pin rod the mooching model? I did not find one on the website

No, it's not. If you go into any "real fishing store" (Searun, Fred's, and so on) they will likely have it and similar affordable pin rods (Okuma, Shimano, Amundson, etc).
The mooching rod is probably a similar blank in power and action but the reel seat height, reel seat type (uplocking) and other minor details wilk be more purposed for pin casting than mooching.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2018, 10:36:52 AM »

No, it's not. If you go into any "real fishing store" (Searun, Fred's, and so on) they will likely have it and similar affordable pin rods (Okuma, Shimano, Amundson, etc).
The mooching rod is probably a similar blank in power and action but the reel seat height, reel seat type (uplocking) and other minor details wilk be more purposed for pin casting than mooching.

Thanks

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2018, 10:40:34 AM »

So a CP rod should have a down locking reel seat?

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2018, 11:53:24 AM »

So a CP rod should have a down locking reel seat?

No it should be up locking because you don't want your hand gripping against the treading of the reel base, unless the feeling of the grooves doesn't bother you.

Animal Chin

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2018, 12:10:01 PM »

No it should be up locking because you don't want your hand gripping against the treading of the reel base, unless the feeling of the grooves doesn't bother you.

I put some badminton wraps around the threads, and a layer of electricians tape over that to keep the moisture off. Feels good, looks like the day I did it and it's been a few seasons. I almost never take my reel off though.. and yeah to the OP.. watch that video posted above with that dude with the radio voice and mustache.. took me 2 tries at the river after watching with a 20 g weight.