Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Centerpin setup and casting beginner question  (Read 12989 times)

psd1179

• Old Timer
Centerpin setup and casting beginner question
« on: October 15, 2018, 07:52:37 PM »

I bought a centerpin reel and use on Fenwick HMX 12'6" spinning rod.
The rod is ultra light moderate action. I tried the BC swing, 1 ounce lead weight 35g float. I can not get my rig to where I want to. The rig is swing in an arc  path and did not go far as well.

Do I need a stiffer rod? or any tips regarding distance cast?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 11:27:34 PM by psd1179 »

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
Re: Centerpin setup and casting beginner question
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 10:17:14 PM »

My first "Aha!" moment when learning to cast CP was letting the reel start to unspool before starting the swing and loading the rod with the weight of the rig. Once I started doing that I began to get more consistent casts with more distance. Not sure if that's your issue but hopefully it helps :)

mikeyman

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 11:07:41 PM »

Diddo. Start letting it spin when swinging rod back then transition foreward with a smooth whip. It takes a bit to know how much preesure to hold on spool. I use my pinky dinger against the spool to regulate the spin. It becomes 2nd nature after practice.
Thats right dinger...I meant finger.

mikeyman

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 11:10:41 PM »

Oh and 2oz of weight is over kill if drifting the vedder or any small to medium size river.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 11:28:13 PM »

Oh and 2oz of weight is over kill if drifting the vedder or any small to medium size river.

It is 1oz weight, I made a mistake. The egg weight is 1/2 each

stsfisher

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 07:35:47 AM »

I would first suggest starting off on a 10' 6" / 10-20lb rating rod specifically built for c-pinning. There are many affordable options on the market that will be much better suited than a rod built for a spinning reel. the shorter length will help when first learning. I didn't move up in rod length until probably 3-4 years into c-pinning, now I use a 11'3" rod length and don't think I would even use a rod length of 12'6"?
You do not mention the reel you purchased, is it new, is it used and in need of maintenance? I only ask because it could be a factor.

Most newbies will over load there gear when first starting out (me included) as they think they need lots of weight to fire their setup out. I would suggest downsizing your float to a more suitable to all conditions 25gram float, with just enough weight (when in water) to only have the top color portion showing above the water line. I don't know how much weight this is as I use split shot and have never weighed it. Then pair it with a 12-18" leader. More weight will not help and I feel it actually is a hindrance when learning to cast a c-pin. 

From here you will need lots of practice! Start with your terminal tackle set at approx 3' as it will allow you to easily manage the length when starting and finishing a cast. then slowly progress to longer lengths. As others have stated, the reel must be in motion when starting the casting motion. It does become a bit of a feel, and very hard for most to explain how much motion at each stage of the cast needs to be applied. this you will gain over time.

Everyone on a c-pin has gone through many hours and even years developing their cast and it will not become easy over night. I used to carry 2 rods when starting out, but never really became confident until I started leaving the level wind at home. This forces uncomfortable positions or places to cast, but it will help develop the "feel" which will only make you a more accomplished caster over time.

No expert by any means as I was self taught on the subject, but hope it helps.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 07:59:48 AM »

Thanks for the advise. I will buy a stiffer rod and give it a try.

The reel is from Amazon for $60. It is made in China but shipped from Mississauga. 3 days after, it was in front of my door. it is a solid reel spinning freely.

https://www.amazon.ca/CENTREPIN-Trotting-Machined-Aluminum-Steelhead/dp/B07CJQ2J1H/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1539701884&sr=8-2&keywords=centerpin+reel

stsfisher

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 10:21:21 AM »

Thanks for the advise. I will buy a stiffer rod and give it a try.

The reel is from Amazon for $60. It is made in China but shipped from Mississauga. 3 days after, it was in front of my door. it is a solid reel spinning freely.

https://www.amazon.ca/CENTREPIN-Trotting-Machined-Aluminum-Steelhead/dp/B07CJQ2J1H/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1539701884&sr=8-2&keywords=centerpin+reel

Not necessarily a stiffer rod.
You might want to try a few in the 8-17lb test range before settling on a 10-20lb test range. I prefer a 8-17lb range for what I do on the water. However I do have an assortment of rods to play with. You will never have the "one rod" for everything.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 11:58:32 AM »

Looks like your reel is designed like the Okuma Sheffield...if so, you can tighten the knob slightly to adjust the speed of spool (to slow it down) until you get use to the swing release motion. Also as a final tip, put less line on your reel (say 2/3 the amount of what you'd normally put). This will also help minimize the over spin of the spool with less volume trying to be released. Hope this makes sense.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 01:56:51 PM »

I totally agree with STSfisher, a rod specifically for c-pinning would make a huge difference.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 05:27:19 PM »

Are switch rods essentially the same as a CP rod? I was fishing with a guy who said he carried a CP reel and just swapped it when he wanted to drift...

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2018, 07:02:48 PM »

Are switch rods essentially the same as a CP rod? I was fishing with a guy who said he carried a CP reel and just swapped it when he wanted to drift...
Very similar, also see the odd Spey rod with a pin.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2018, 07:12:53 PM »

No! Not sure how a CP rod would work with a short skagit head or a scandi head. I knew of 1 or 2 guys who tried a spey line with a drift rod. Didn't work!

However some switch rods work well as a CP rod. Single handed fly rods have also been used with a CP reel. I have used my Echo #8 with my old silex and it's a nice combination.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

stsfisher

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2018, 08:00:58 PM »

No! Not sure how a CP rod would work with a short skagit head or a scandi head. I knew of 1 or 2 guys who tried a spey line with a drift rod. Didn't work!

However some switch rods work well as a CP rod. Single handed fly rods have also been used with a CP reel. I have used my Echo #8 with my old silex and it's a nice combination.

I would not suggest any of these rods be used for our beginner and his quest for information on " Centerpin setup and casting beginner question"

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2018, 08:23:04 PM »

The rod blank its self might be very similar. However the height of the reel seat (distance up from the butt of the rod) and the design of the cork around the reel seat make a switch rod less than ideal for center pinning.

More specifically, most switch and spey rods have the reel seat too low for where most people would like their center pin reel to be. I have a 6wt 11"6 switch, an 8wt 13"6 spey, and a 9wt 13"6 spey. I have tried pin reels on all three rods, didn't really like it.

Also the way the cork is on a purpose built pin rod, your hand fits nice and comfortable against the side of the reel. Not so much with a switch or spey rod. They are meant to be held much higher up on the cork, so little if any thought is given to the ergonomics of the cork where one would hold the rod if center pin fishing.

So, yes, you "can" fish a pin reel on a switch or spey rod, but it's not nearly as nice of a fit as using a proper pin rod. I tried for a while bringing a pin reel and some basic gear tackle along while fly fishing. I found it wayyy too much of a pain switching over the reel and so on. Now if I plan to fish water that fishes well gear fishing and spey fishing I just bring one of each rod.

Getting back to the original post about learning to pin cast. I am far from an expert but when I was learning I was advised to chuck a bit of extra weight, I did this and found it to be helpful. I would use a 3 inch piece of standard gauge pencil lead (1/4 inch thick?) and a 30g or 35g float. If you have time practice on grass with no hook, if not just head to the river. As others have said the reel MUST do a couple turns before you lob the cast. The reel needs to spool up before you let it go. Let go of the reel, let it start to drop, one or two seconds later do your cast. It is more of a soft "lob" cast than a quick snap like a baitcaster. A bit of practice and you'll have it down in no time.

Oh ya and do ditch that noodley spinning rod. As others have said get a 10"6 medium or medium heavy power pin rod. It will help your casting a lot.