Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More poaching  (Read 7422 times)

swimmingwiththefishes

More poaching
« on: October 14, 2018, 07:32:08 PM »

Salmon__Slayer

Re: More poaching
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 08:38:13 PM »

unbelievable.... I would at least expect them to use the male fish for food or something ... why just leave them to rot. or better yet ... release them ... this cupcakes is sickening ..

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 09:51:13 PM »

Ralph ?

poper

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 09:59:46 PM »

Ralph ?
Lol , can’t bar fish, nets our out we need Ralph’s take, I’m dried off from my jump in the lake, waiting for Ralph’s reply,get the popcorn ready guys

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 12:11:48 AM »

Link goes to a FB page with no furtherance...

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 06:36:55 AM »

Link goes to a FB page with no furtherance...

Yup can't see anything as it is a closed group. Thank god eh? Once more we escape exposure to the moral outrage.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 04:28:00 PM »

No escaping this Ralph.  I think this one might get people talking about this chum fishery and the damage it is doing.
Pay FN to stay off the water at critical times if that's what it takes, but end this disgrace.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 04:50:08 PM »

Every year the Chum fishing gets worse as well. I can remeber a time when the Stave and Harrison was boiling.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 05:10:28 PM »

No escaping this Ralph.  I think this one might get people talking about this chum fishery and the damage it is doing.
Pay FN to stay off the water at critical times if that's what it takes, but end this disgrace.

Dave occasionally you write stuff verging on the delusional. I am not the apologist for anyone, FNs or otherwise. The attempts by some to make me so is bullying bullcrap. Most of these people have been placed on my ignore list.

That aside thanks for the one somewhat positive suggestion on how to deal with it. Paying them not to fish is not a bad idea. That's what's been done in some cases with Atlantic Salmon fisheries. Most of of the rest is the usual male s&m rage-o-holic spasm. It achieves nothing & likely makes things worse.

It's worth noting that by-catch and waste is a problem with almost every commercial fishery. The Fraser fishery is primarily that. I checked out the PSC 'test' fisheries. It caught close to 1/4 million fish this year. To acheive that by-catch on various species was about 11% of the total.

When I see photos like these I see lost spawning escapement, lost food value (last year I suggested fresh by-catch could be given to food banks & got ridiculed for that) and lost money. Those fish have some value some.

People need to DFO, the SFAB, the FVSS, the Union of BC Indian Chiefs and your various politicians. Posting photos of it, having the usual rage fest achieves nothing.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 06:03:03 PM »

Again, escape was your word, but perhaps I misunderstood the context.  I think you are wrong regarding posting photos of this fishery - these particular pictures have been broadcast widely, and I do believe it will get people talking.  Perhaps even people who make decisions.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2018, 06:32:50 PM »

Suggesting that beach seine by catch should go to food banks rather then back into water the intended purpose of using a beach seine is a bit odd.

Sockeye is First Nations perfected choice according to the Supreme Court decision with sparrow.

In abundant years like these for sockeye their does not need to be directed fsc on other stocks.

Robert_G

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2018, 06:41:26 PM »

I think you are wrong regarding posting photos of this fishery - these particular pictures have been broadcast widely, and I do believe it will get people talking.  Perhaps even people who make decisions.

100% agree.
Ralph lives in another reality. One that I want no part of.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2018, 10:22:20 PM »

100% agree.
Ralph lives in another reality. One that I want no part of.
Glad you stopped by to let us know :D

Back on topic, paying FN not to fish sounds like an idea worth investigating. I'd support it, especially so if it avoided netting during steelhead migration periods.

Robert_G

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2018, 08:06:04 AM »

Most of these people have been placed on my ignore list.

So you mean to say that you participate on a fishing forum, but only interact with 10% of the members....Sounds about right for you.

Back on topic, paying FN not to fish sounds like an idea worth investigating. I'd support it, especially so if it avoided netting during steelhead migration periods.

Well it can come out of your paycheck then, but not mine. Why should we have to pay a special interest group tax payers dollars as a way to get them to play by the rules of conservation? The logic around here is sometimes unreal. Its no wonder this world is the way it is.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 08:08:53 AM by Robert_G »

Sage2106

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2018, 10:03:39 AM »

The dfo just needs to grow a pair and tell them they're not fishing. The courts have already ruled conservation trumps all this is a conservation closer.