Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New video: Float fishing for Somass River chinook salmon  (Read 3106 times)

Flybob

Re: New video: Float fishing for Somass River chinook salmon
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 09:59:04 PM »

Thanks Rod , great video !

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 10:11:41 PM »

Thanks Rod!
It ain't the roe bro'

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 10:14:17 PM »

Great video!  Were the fish smaller than average this year?  Seemed like lots of fish under 10 lbs, which seems unusual for chinook.

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 10:04:51 AM »

I recently had an identical trip on the Somass, we even had the same boat and giant net although a different guide.  Great memories.

I was also surprised at the small size of the fish.  Ours were the same size as Rodney's with only one larger fish estimated at 24 lb. just before we lost it.  In the 80s I used to fish the Alberni inlet for Chinook and typical size was 18 to 28 pounds with only a few larger and smaller.   It was not unusual to limit on fish of 24 lb. +/-1 . Perhaps it was because we used quite large lures and bait that we didn't see smaller fish but my impression was always that there were not many smaller fish returning to spawn.  I also used to fish the Nitinat nearby and fish under 16 lb. were rare in the river.

I do remember one year with lots of smaller fish like this year so maybe the occasional year with smaller fish comes along.   We fished the Somass last year and the Chinook were even smaller.   It would be interesting to know the age of these fish although I did see some data that indicated about 50% of this years run were 4 year fish that should have been larger IMHO. 

spoiler

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 12:46:49 PM »

great video Rod as usual!
I'm not sure about the guide fishing, I know I wouldn't appreciate it but maybe you guys were okay with it and encouraged it. I know maybe I'm selfish, but if I'm paying good money for a guided trip the last thing I want is to be competing with the guide for my fish or wasting my time waiting for him to land his fish and netting it for him.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 01:08:46 PM »

great video Rod as usual!
I'm not sure about the guide fishing, I know I wouldn't appreciate it but maybe you guys were okay with it and encouraged it. I know maybe I'm selfish, but if I'm paying good money for a guided trip the last thing I want is to be competing with the guide for my fish or wasting my time waiting for him to land his fish and netting it for him.

They were cooperating to promote the fishing trip. The guide won't fish while guiding the other guests.

spoiler

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 04:31:25 PM »

not entirely true! I actually went on a guided trip years ago for Steelhead with my brother and the guide got so excited because we were catching so many fish he couldn't help himself and actually became a pest as he was competing with us for the Steelhead!
the day before our trip he guided two guys and they caught two fish all day.
on our trip we boated 35 Steelhead in one day.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2018, 12:51:57 AM »

not entirely true! I actually went on a guided trip years ago for Steelhead with my brother and the guide got so excited because we were catching so many fish he couldn't help himself and actually became a pest as he was competing with us for the Steelhead!
the day before our trip he guided two guys and they caught two fish all day.
on our trip we boated 35 Steelhead in one day.

Come on, 35 steelhead in one day, did you heavily tip the guide?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2018, 11:20:39 AM »

Murphy's guides do not fish when they're guiding clients. What we did is a bit different than a guided trip.