Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Harrison River, October 8th, 2018  (Read 4536 times)

wookie

Harrison River, October 8th, 2018
« on: October 09, 2018, 11:25:09 AM »

Hit the mouth all day yesterday, as we were to lazy to go upriver.  Anchored in 25 feet, casting towards shore.  Lower half of the shoreline is where most if not all fish were caught, where the current sped up a bit.

A fair few chum rolled in throughout the day, but by no means was it thick with fish.  Thought I saw a couple coho rolling as well, and I saw one smaller and very red fish (Sockeye?) come up to the surface to take a look at us.  Most chum seen were darker and several looked stale AF.

We got 4 to the boat, all males with fully developed snaggle-teeth and lost a few more, as we forgot our net.  Tailing fish caught on light gear while leaning out a boat was a bit of an adventure.  Most caught float fishing jigs tipped with prawn, purple and pink/purple.  Jigs were on the smaller/sparse side too.

Got a few hits and shakes on spoons, one to the boat on a hammered silver R&B spoon with orange stripe.  Even had one on briefly while floating roe, which surprised me.  We threw the kitchen sink at them, with limited success.  One fish (on spoon) was fresher than the others.  Saw mostly males caught and released from other boats, but not a ton of action seen.  Still needs a week(?) for fish to really stack up.  Still a good day out in the mist.

Anyone ever have success fishing chum with twitching jigs? I spent a few hours trying with no success, but then again I could have been off in my retrieve and twitch timing, or color combo......it seemed that all other boats were drifting jigs.  Didn't see anyone else catching on spoons either. 

Anyone fish further up this weekend?  Anything to report/contribute to this thread?  I have limited experience on the Harrison itself and always appreciate more knowledge.

Thanks brothers and sisters!

« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 12:30:44 AM by Rodney »

DanTfisherman

Re: Harrison - October 8, 2018
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 11:25:44 PM »

Have not contributed for some time, but will look to assist.

Brought my Father-in-law over and took him out in the boat in Mid-November.
We were targeting Coho in a few various locations.  No luck and saw no fish.  Had good luck for coho a week earlier, all being wild.
Drifted around and hit a spot I had not been to for a few years.  There were some boats around and they were doing well for Chum on prawns and jigs.
Did not bring good jigs and had no prawns or bait.  Had fly rod and spinning rods, which were a bit light for the task at hand.
We did find the ticket when we started casting chrome spinners, and in a 90 minute period, hooked good numbers of Chum, landing about a dozen between us.  All were very fresh and I was impressed by how much fun we had, as I do not go out of my way to target Chum.
They helped to salvage and make better a day I felt was destined to be for site-seeing.

Dano