Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018-2019 NHL Season  (Read 157338 times)

arimaBOATER

Re: 2018-2019 NHL Season
« Reply #345 on: April 23, 2019, 06:52:20 PM »

Toronto is now TOAST.
A very good year for Leafs.
This was anyone's series. It went to game 7.
Game 6 loss in Toronto, Don Cherry I think said that the Leafs will lose in game 7.
He said this ( at least I think he said it as I was exiting the room & only heard in part ) & those words travelled across Canada. Maybe those words got into the Leafs room.
Now he says tonight Leafs outplayed Bruins.
No I did not see that. I thought Bruins outplayed Leafs.
They looked like they checked the Leafs into the ice.
Bruins had more energy. Leafs looked emotionally blank look/stressed/no go go we can do it look. Too quiet on the bench.
But shot total is in favour for Leafs so  :o
Rask I guess was the dif.
Leafs had to win those home games. Thought the Leafs should of been more physical & give out some hard body checks. Something to stir it up & get Bruins off their game.
So many good teams in the NHL. Man it's war & this is only rd 1.  Leafs are better than the Canucks.
Next Knights & Sharks. That should be a barn burner.
Ya FA the curse.
Maybe that curse extends to the Canucks in Stanley Cup finals. 
EDIT IN: thought the Leafs with their improved team would get by the Bruins in 6.
Bruins surprised me with their good physical shape. They skated well in every game.
Honestly the hockey gods decided this series as Leafs got the short end of the stick.
Maybe if game 7 was in TO the fans cheering would help the Leafs to send the Bruins packing.
Stanley Cup will be won by another USA team.
Leafs get some red France wine & drink & listen to Elvis songs from You Tube.
How did the Leafs lose to the Bruins in this series???
Boston should of been TOAST after 6 games.
That rink in San Jose looks like European size...looks big? Maybe camera angle.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 08:05:18 PM by A-BOATER »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #346 on: April 23, 2019, 08:09:22 PM »

How did the Leafs lose to the Bruins in this series???

I'll take a guess and say Boston outscore them  ;) As to Rask, he once played for Toronto but they gave up on him.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #347 on: April 23, 2019, 10:54:09 PM »

What a crazy game 7 between Las Vegas and San Jose. The Knights were leading 3-0 with approximately 10 minutes remaining in the game when they were assessed a 5 minute penalty. The Sharks proceeded to score 4 power play goals to take the lead. The Knights tied the game with 43 seconds to force overtime. San Jose wins the game with approximately 2 minutes left in the first overtime.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #348 on: April 23, 2019, 11:05:40 PM »

I'll take a guess and say Boston outscore them  ;) As to Rask, he once played for Toronto but they gave up on him.
Rask played super in game 7. ( & in series. )
What a crazy game 7 between Las Vegas and San Jose. The Knights were leading 3-0 with approximately 10 minutes remaining in the game when they were assessed a 5 minute penalty. The Sharks proceeded to score 4 power play goals to take the lead. The Knights tied the game with 43 seconds to force overtime. San Jose wins the game with approximately 2 minutes left in the first overtime.
Your right FA it was so so crazy!!!
 Sharks down in the series 3-1 come back & kick out the Knights
It goes to OT & both goalies make great saves...
Finally Sharks throw on a guy who hardly played in the game so he has fresh legs. Powers his way across the net & tucks it in. Game over.
Vegas fans & those who bet big $$$ for them to win must be shocked.
The 5 minute major call was a bad & wrong call. 2 minutes yes but 5 minute no way.
It was a stick across the chest & he lost his balance & hit the side of his head on the ice.
Ref thought it was a cross check to the face but that did not happen.
Coach Gallent said this loss was harder to take than last yrs Stanley Cup final loss.
But give Sharks credit they have character players. 

arimaBOATER

« Reply #349 on: April 24, 2019, 11:27:33 PM »

Been watching so much hockey on boob tube so decided not to watch tonight's game 7 between Caps & Hurricanes. My guess was Caps would take it in game 7.
Just checked what happened & what?????
Hurricanes kick out the Caps in a game 7 in OT Wow unreal.
This was another heavyweight barn burner & major upset.
Hurricanes have some great leaders & the rest of the players followed them & gave their all.
Stanley Cup champs are kicked out.
I gotta watch this game tomorrow some time.
Flames out, Jets out Leafs out,(ouch) Preds out,(ouch)Pens out(ouch)Tampa out(ouch)Knights out(ouch)
Caps out. (ouch)
A lot of ouch pain out there with NHL coaches players fans...
See the Canucks coach players & fans did not have to go through this expectation & then first round kick out ouch pain. We feel like the Spring & Summer will be fun & not gloomy. No ouch pain for FA Nova & yours truly...
Chris & TNA will be licking their fresh wounds...kicked out in 1st round. Well they are in good company. ;D :o ;D

TNAngler

« Reply #350 on: April 25, 2019, 08:47:33 AM »

So, Jet/Blues, lower seed won.
Preds/Stars, lower seed won
Flames/Avs, lower seed won
Sharks/Knights, higher seed won but barely
Canes/Caps, lower seed won
Isles/Penguins, higher seed won but would not say they were favorites
Lightning/Blue Jackets, lower seed won
Leafs/Bruins,..... what happened Leafs?

This playoff first round was very entertaining with all of the upsets.  Crazy crazy year.  I think I read the number 1 seed in a division being knocked out in the first round has happened 7 times since 1980 with the change in playoff format.  This year, both #1 seeds got knocked out.  3 of 4 number 1 seeds were knocked out.  None of the big teams from last year's playoffs, top two in conferences last year (caps, penguins, knights, jets) made it through the first round.  Field is wide open.  Not even sure who to cheer for anymore.  Columbus maybe?  No clue.  Just completely unexpected.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #351 on: April 26, 2019, 06:48:29 PM »

Ya me too TNA . Have not any idea who will emerge as the champs.
Watched so much hockey in the first rd did not watch yesterday's games nor today's so far.
Will watch some of Sharks / Avs game later tonight.
Bruins & Blues win yesterday's games.
Close games.
As good as the hockey has been I hit a pt that have to do other activities. Too many hrs infront of the boob tube ...weather outside is sunny.
My heart says to cheer on the Bruins & Sharks.
But honestly any team that wins "good for them".
Blues would be a good choice as have they ever won a Cup? Do not think so.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 06:50:13 PM by A-BOATER »

arimaBOATER

« Reply #352 on: April 27, 2019, 09:10:05 PM »

As it turns out the Blues were in the finals 68,69,& 1970 & never did get a Cup.
Gee at least the Canucks spread out the pain with their 3 losses in the finals.
80s 90s & 2010 ....
Bruins / Columbus after 1 period OT & it's still 2-2.
Unreal
Wow Boston gets man in sin bin.
After midnight in bean town.
Both teams working their butts off.
Game set & match 3-2.
Thought Bruins had an edge in play but Columbus goalie made stop after stop.
EDiT IN : Sun April 28 --- hurricanes best NYI  up in series 2-0.
NY can't buy goals...crossbars/posts..
Avs over Sharks.
Sharks older guys getting tired.
1-1 in series.
Hurricanes look good.
Any 8 teams can win this Cup. 4 teams have never won a Stanley Cup from these 8 teams I believe.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 09:25:27 PM by A-BOATER »

arimaBOATER

« Reply #353 on: April 30, 2019, 06:36:14 PM »

Anyone watching the playoffs?
Boston / Columbus is top top notch level hockey on every shift.
Series tied 1-1
Both teams remind me a two race horses sprinting to the finish line neck & neck with jockeys doing the very best to win by a nose.
Blue Jackets up 2-1 in the 3rd.
Time winding down.
If Bruins lose they need the next game win to get the split.
Columbus steps on Boston stick & falls down. Ref gives Boston a penalty (1st period)
Every ref call should be quickly reviewed by camera officials. Easy as it would just take 30 secs. In most cases. Too many bad bad calls. Game is too fast for refs to get it right.
Fast skating & physical.
Even if your team is on vacation ...if you like good hockey ...this is the time of year.

Edit in: Game Set & Match. Blue Jackets up in series 2-1.
Weird seeing is it John Davidson in the Blue Jacket skybox. He was a Ranger goalie at one time ..other teams??? He always was well spoken. Old body now but still twinkle in eyes & mind.
In skybox there's Cam Neely. Ex Canuck & Boston player. He definately looks his age & stressful times.
Pot belly & dark under the eyes.
Big mouth Cherry should go behind Bruins bench.
War to the Stanley Cup.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 06:56:23 PM by A-BOATER »

arimaBOATER

« Reply #354 on: April 30, 2019, 11:10:20 PM »

Sharks looked good.
Had a presence.
Avs looked like a jigg saw puzzle with a few pieces missing.  ;D
Good game & honestly with goal posts/ cross bars blocked shots on & on either team could of won the game.
Both games could of gone either way so ya can't beat that action.
Preds in game 4 & Leafs in game 7 looked like they deserved to lose.

Chris & TNA about now are having it finally sink in.
Preds & Leafs balloon busted.
They are no more. No climax. Big build up & no climax. At least Chris can blow the dust off black & white photos of Leaf teams way back when with the Cup.
( mind you so few teams in the league so easier to win ) now a days it's a fight judge to make the playoffs & then war between 16 teams to get the prize )
Secret: ya just have to beat 4 teams & ya are champs ( 16 wins )
Chris & TNA red wine from France & Elvis you tube concerts. Cure all.  ;D

TNAngler

« Reply #355 on: May 01, 2019, 09:32:42 AM »

Still watching most every game.  Might get distracted a little bit but for the most part we watch a lot.  Columbus looks like the Preds from a couple years ago when they made it to the finals.  Would not surprise me if they didn't do the same.  Very exciting hockey.  Other series are still fun but not near what Columbus is looking like.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #356 on: May 01, 2019, 12:46:01 PM »

Still watching most every game.  Might get distracted a little bit but for the most part we watch a lot.  Columbus looks like the Preds from a couple years ago when they made it to the finals.  Would not surprise me if they didn't do the same.  Very exciting hockey.  Other series are still fun but not near what Columbus is looking like.
TNA is very wise man! He is watching lots of NHL hockey even though his team is on vacation.
Seen a vid with Chris & Rodney recently & was surprised he looked so good & positive spirits. Guess he likes the outdrs. more than Leafs.
If Leafs were his # 1 hobby he would look like  :-[ :'( :( >:( :o :-\
but as the outdrs is his #1 hobby he looks like  :).
But ya the teams that are very much ready to pull away are Sharks,Blues,Hurricanes,Blue Jackets but think Islanders & Bruins still have that very powerful desire so ....so out of those 6 a Cup will be presented. Anyone's guess.
Blue Jackets are more rested than Bruins. Ya your right they look so good. Goaltending out...A-1.
Torts has that way to get his teams ready. ( with Canucks it was mission impossible...did not help in lived in Pt Roberts. Going thru tunnel bottleneck etc..
He would of been better to take a water taxi.
Hurricanes have some good talented guys & leaders. Staal the B-Thumper...but they have a back up goalie forced in action. Will he be a good fill in? Time will tell.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #357 on: May 02, 2019, 12:48:52 AM »

Islanders lose 5-2 but the score does not tell story. It was 3-2 so with goalie on the bench it became 5-2 Hurricanes. Islanders / Hurricane game could of went either way. Both teams were checking skating & checking hard. Islanders easily could of won this game but...
Yep 3-0 in series & NY needs 4 straight wins.
Dallas wins over the Blues so series tied 2-2.
They deserved to win this one.
Again great hockey.
It's like the games are so intense ya just do not want to miss 4-5 minutes of the game going to washrm or make a snack because there's so much action / scoring chance or big hit ...break away or near break away... :o 

TNAngler

« Reply #358 on: May 02, 2019, 10:41:12 AM »

Seeing Bennington lose his cool and get a double minor for slashing and roughing was pretty interesting.  If Dallas can get under his skin it is possible to really run away with it.  Who knows.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #359 on: May 02, 2019, 11:10:37 AM »

Seeing Bennington lose his cool and get a double minor for slashing and roughing was pretty interesting.  If Dallas can get under his skin it is possible to really run away with it.  Who knows.
Ya this series surprised me as in the last 24 hrs.
Thought Dallas & Islanders will not go to 3rd rd but have to change my mind.
Dallas is showing up!! Did not falter.
Thought they would. Blues/Dallas are in a war!
Avs are faltering.
Islanders play hard but leadership on team seems weak. Their C looks emotionless. Blank look.
They play like the Canucks...hardly go to the front of net.
Depend too much on outside play.
Down 3-0 in series WOW.
Bennington is not steady eddie after all.