Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How can we lessen the environmental impact of our hobby?  (Read 2079 times)

Fatso

How can we lessen the environmental impact of our hobby?
« on: October 01, 2018, 05:53:18 PM »

I don't buy into the man made global warming idea but I don't want to cause unecessary harm to the environment either.

From what I have read hemp products seem a lot more environmently friendly .

I thought that maybe I would try and use products made from hemp rather than go with products made from petrochemicals.

Anyone here have any experience with hemp products?  Clothing, tents, fishing equipment?  :)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: How can we lessen the environmental impact of our hobby?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 06:19:41 PM »

Ban fishing from a powered boat....lol
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 06:31:59 PM by wildmanyeah »

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 06:24:28 PM »

It’s  great to see people caring for the environment. I am a first year student doing a major in environmental resource management . And for the most part we learn that the best way to help the environment is to purchase locally crafted items that are sourced from local resources. An example could be bismuth metal weights instead of lead. Also there are biodegradable alternatives for fishing lines.

https://www.cabelas.com/category/Non-toxic-Fishing-Weights/104464080.uts
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 06:26:58 PM by Salmon__Slayer »

bobby b

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 06:34:01 PM »

One thing that has a direct and immediate result is cleaning up the trash that people leave behind...
I've collected and reused floats, hooks and weights. Picked up old mono and braided line etc...
Recently at the Cap I saw an older gent picking up loads of garbage, timmies cups, old fishing gear pkgs, empty spools etc... So many people open up pkgs of hooks and other misc. gear and just toss it to the ground...  :o
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 08:27:04 PM by bobby b »

GordJ

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 06:43:32 PM »

It’s  great to see people caring for the environment. I am a first year student doing a major in environmental resource management . And for the most part we learn that the best way to help the environment is to purchase locally crafted items that are sourced from local resources. An example could be bismuth metal weights instead of lead. Also there are biodegradable alternatives for fishing lines.

https://www.cabelas.com/category/Non-toxic-Fishing-Weights/104464080.uts
So I will save the world if I buy weights that Cabelas imports from China? Good to know that you are being taught that buying local crafted items means a local store like Cabelas.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 07:42:26 PM »

So I will save the world if I buy weights that Cabelas imports from China? Good to know that you are being taught that buying local crafted items means a local store like Cabelas.

Salmon Slayer linked us to Cabelas just to show us what the alternative product looks like. Nowhere in his post does he state or even imply that buying local means buying at Cabela's.
Besides, if you had only clicked on a product and checked out the source, you'd see that the company that makes tungsten weights is based in New Jersey, with some seriously educated and passionate staff.
Here's the link in case you bother:
https://ecoprotungsten.com/
You should give your head a good hard shake and debate with intelligence if at all possible, not with cheap redneck sarcasm. >:

Edited to add link.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 07:54:31 PM by milo »

GordJ

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 08:23:11 PM »

Salmon Slayer linked us to Cabelas just to show us what the alternative product looks like. Nowhere in his post does he state or even imply that buying local means buying at Cabela's.
Besides, if you had only clicked on a product and checked out the source, you'd see that the company that makes tungsten weights is based in New Jersey, with some seriously educated and passionate staff.
You should give your head a good hard shake and debate with intelligence if at all possible, not with cheap redneck sarcasm. >:

Edited to add link.
My apologies great protector of the internet.

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 08:45:52 PM »

Edited to add link.

thanks Milo !

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 08:47:51 PM »

One thing that has a direct and immediate result is cleaning up the trash that people leave behind...
I've collected and reused floats, hooks and weights. Picked up old mono and braided line etc...
Recently at the Cap I saw an older gent picking up loads of garbage, timmies cups, old fishing gear pkgs, empty spools etc... So many people open up pkgs of hooks and other misc. gear and just toss it to the ground...  :o

Thats great , also wading the stave in the summer when the water is low. 1 hour can produce an arsenal of jigs for the fall season !