Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Felt bad for the boater. His outboard just would not fire up !!!  (Read 3389 times)

arimaBOATER

At the boat launch a few days ago a boater was trying to start his outboard. The boat was tied to the dock & for at least 45 minutes / hr. he tried to get it to start!!! Totally surprising the battery / starter could last that long. So many attempts. It was a older Force 2 stroke 150 hp.
He just bought a new battery so that's why he cranked it so many times. Outboard every 5 minutes would kinda tease as it would nearly fire up. Finally he just gave up & realized it was hopeless.
Crazy part it started great at his house & worked well on other recent outings.
Another boater who I seen a few times from Coq. has a dependable outboard. No problems starting.
One boater who took all the preparing & launching only to have his plans to astry & have to drive home while the other boater prepares & goes out to the salt from the North arm of the Fraser & has an exciting fun adventure. Hopefully his outboard will work ok in the future but if not...it will be a very bad marriage!!!!  ( & lots of frustration )
Watching that boat show program on Sat. & they had an 19ft alum. welded bass boat with all the bells & whistles trailer 40 hp 4 stroke Merc for package price $13,000 US. Brand spanking new. 
Here in Canada we have to spend $9-10 grand just to get a dependable outboard so were not cranking up the starter for an hr trying to fire it up.

Fatso

Re: Felt bad for the boater. His outboard just would not fire up !!!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 02:00:57 PM »

I am no mechanic but maybe it has something to do with the old gas deteriorating and screwing up his carburator, or he needs new spark plugs.

ShaunO

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 02:33:26 PM »

Old Force 2 strokes could be flooded pretty easily.  Continually trying to start it for 45 minutes wont solve anything. 

Outboards are simple.  You need compression, fuel and spark and with a little bit of experience you can trouble shoot each of those really effectively with simple hand tools.  I would be willing to be his plugs were fouled and soaking wet.

mikeyman

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 04:33:37 PM »

Its a force. Nuff said.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!

arimaBOATER

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 12:33:42 PM »

Old Force 2 strokes could be flooded pretty easily.  Continually trying to start it for 45 minutes wont solve anything. 

Outboards are simple.  You need compression, fuel and spark and with a little bit of experience you can trouble shoot each of those really effectively with simple hand tools.  I would be willing to be his plugs were fouled and soaking wet.
He was a mechanic & he stated what you posted. He just was hoping it would start as he had a reservation at an marina & was going to help his friend on some home renos.
But he did keep his composer & he took the high road attitude..."maybe it's not meant to be that I cross over towards Howe Sound etc..." ( actually his boat was not what you would call the greatest if he were to come into rough water conditions )

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 03:08:41 PM »

There are instances where a reliable start can make serious difference (I hate using the life or death phrase).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8ZkgfTO6eI (check n. 5 - starts at 4m 15s.).

or this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaMA1ZkBvp8

Ambassador

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 11:58:15 AM »

There are instances where a reliable start can make serious difference (I hate using the life or death phrase).
Hahaha - #5 is how I feel trying to launch my kayak at Ambleside when Supertankers are heading in/out.

"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

arimaBOATER

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2018, 03:31:48 PM »

or this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaMA1ZkBvp8
Having a reliable outboard & also a kicker is a "must have" in any boating waters & more so in the PNW area. Anything can happen at any given time. Nothing to do with an outboard but this example makes a point. Talked with two guys who came back to the launch in Richmond & they told of nearly being T -boned by a 50-60 ft fishing trawler. They were trolling just north west of the lighthouse by Sandheads in a 25 ft aluminum boat. One guy happened to glance to one side & he seen a fishing troller coming straight for their boat!!!!! They jumped up & started yelling & the trawler started to make a turn to avoid the collision & imagine the 25 ft boat did the same ??? Regardless the boats did come into contact but not on a bad impact angle !!! There was a long gauge line along the troller's side. The aluminum boat's anchor at the bow did the damage to the troller. Sports guys said if they did not glance to the side when they did they would of been t-boned !!! ( maybe flipped over & who knows then what would of happened )
Apparently the sun rays was blinding the eyes of the troller's pilot / maybe combination of not paying attention ??? Who knows. 
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 12:29:40 AM by A-BOATER »

arimaBOATER

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2018, 03:36:21 PM »

Having a reliable outboard & also a kicker is a "must have" in any boating waters & more so in the PNW area. Anything can have at any given time. Nothing to do with an outboard but this example makes a point. Talked with two guys who came back to the launch in Richmond & they told of nearly being T -boned by a 50-60 ft fishing trawler. They were trolling just north west of the lighthouse by Sandheads in a 25 ft aluminum boat. One guy happened to glance to one side & he seen a fishing troller coming straight for their boat!!!!! They jumped up & started yelling & the trawler started to make a turn to avoid the collision & imagine the 25 ft boat did the same ??? Regardless the boats did come into contact but not on a bad impact angle !!! There was a long gauge line along the troller's side. The aluminum boat's anchor at the bow did the damage to the troller. Sports guys said if they did not glance to the side when they did they would of been t-boned !!! ( maybe flipped over & who knows then what would of happened )
Apparently the sun rays was blinding the eyes of the troller's pilot / maybe combination of not paying attention.
Happened this past August. They got some sockeyes but a bad scare too !
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 03:46:05 PM by A-BOATER »