Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Color set for chinook?  (Read 2873 times)

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
Color set for chinook?
« on: September 19, 2018, 05:16:36 PM »

Just wondering if there is a preferred color for targeting chinooks when choosing wool and jigs?

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
Re: Color set for chinook?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 05:33:35 PM »

chartreuse

I use a wet bring for my roe when targeting Chinooks.  Chartreuse will out fish everything else when you hit a hole that crowded with guys. Red will work yes. But when all the fish see is red roe, chartreuse will nail them. Jig ? chartreuse and black or chartreuse and blue. My favorite

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 06:55:50 PM »

For wool, chartreuse can work.  I usually start with peach and add and subtract other colors until I find something that works.  Last weekend the trick for me was steelhead orange with a tiny dab of baby pink.  Peach with a dab of red is also good. Having a couple colors with contrast seems to be a good thing.  Peach and chartreuse has also worked for me in the past, or chartreuse with a dab of red.  Size seems to matter as much as color - sometimes you need only half thickness of wool, and trim it to pinky nail size.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 09:40:38 PM »

Thanks.

Been thinking it'd be nice to learn to fish wool rather than costly jigs, and they seem to come out of the rocks better...

fishtruck

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 07:56:52 AM »

I've had good results with red with a touch of white inside. Like others have said, two color combos seem to do better than straight peach, red or chartreuse. Often, I'll tip it with some prawn as well.

96XJ

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 07:30:52 PM »

Thanks.

Been thinking it'd be nice to learn to fish wool rather than costly jigs, and they seem to come out of the rocks better...

I have been trying wool more often as well , jigs always seem to get hung up where I fish anyways , did good for chums last year on wool  , definitely will try on coho - when it stops raining...

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 07:41:57 PM »

I have been trying wool more often as well , jigs always seem to get hung up where I fish anyways , did good for chums last year on wool  , definitely will try on coho - when it stops raining...
  A couple of years ago the coho really liked orange with a dab of hot pink.  I like to add some shrimp scent when I am after coho as well.

bobby b

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 07:49:53 PM »

for Springs I have had luck on red/white, red/chartreuse and red/peach ... on single colours I do ok on Red or Chartreuse ...combos work better 

For Chum... I rock  Purple or sometimes Purple or the odd time I'll use Purple or if I'm bored... I will even use Purple!

For Coho I don't have much luck at all with wool... but the odd one will hit Steelhead Orange or Red.. but yeah....I find wool rarely works ..ymmv

« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 07:52:05 PM by bobby b »