Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 Chilliwack River Cleanup  (Read 3675 times)

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
2018 Chilliwack River Cleanup
« on: September 16, 2018, 10:12:12 PM »

Couldn't find the thread for this event so created this one. If there's already one Rod, feel free to delete this one!

Heading out to the Chilliwack River cleanup event again this year. Here's the event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/147697592578931/

If anyone needs transportation you're welcome to catch a ride with me. Send me a PM! I'll be leaving from New West in the 6:30 - 7:00am range. Need to make a short detour in Abbotsford to pick up my dad. Plan to stick around and fish for a few hours after but need to hit the road back around 3 or 4pm.

Fingers crossed for good weather!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: 2018 Chilliwack River Cleanup
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 03:20:10 PM »

Always a great event, so good to put back to the river. I will be doing our Fraser Valley Salmon Society section. Last year as the water was so low we cleaned up tires etc. that were in the river. I hope Milo and crew will be there too, once again. This is the 17th annual BC Rivers Day put on by the Chilliwack vedder River Cleanup Society. I hope many of this forum will show up like they did in the old days when Rodney and I started the CVRCS.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 10:50:21 PM »

I'll be there Chris, and very much looking forward to another good haul. There is a couple of large truck tires in the lower canal that will require some digging.
I will bring along a young and muscular friend of mine from Mexico who is eager to help out with the tough tasks.

I offer a free ride to and from Chilliwack to up to three more people from the forum. Pick up and drop off at the Holdom sky train station. Leaving Burnaby around 7:30 AM. Plan to stay late, as there will be some good fishing thrown into the mix after the festivities. The more, the merrier! Good karma and some chrome garanteed.  8)
Post here if interested.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 02:40:46 AM »

Thanks so much Milo, I will walk the river today and look for more tires before the cleanup and mark them with flagging so they will be easy to see on cleanup day. Please bring anything that will be helpful in digging them up. Terry has about 10 students coming too, to work on the dyke section so we will have lots of help. See you at the Fish and Game club house for coffee and donuts before the cleanup starts.

Here is a couple of video of us at last years BC Rivers Day cleanup working in the Vedder canal area. https://youtu.be/8R9UGDaTNMA and https://youtu.be/MdynZjuCcpc

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 08:59:12 AM »

Please bring anything that will be helpful in digging them up.

Chris, I can only bring my waders and heavy duty gloves, but that's about it. I live in a condo and don't do gardening...I don't have shovels.

And I really hope some of the forum members take me up on my offer to drive them to the cleanup. It's free with fishing included. I will even share some of my favourite spots.

Kevgor

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 12:47:56 PM »

I will be there - 12th year in a row.
Kevgor -

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 08:13:28 PM »

I will be there - 12th year in a row.
Good work and thanks.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 08:14:22 PM »

Chris, I can only bring my waders and heavy duty gloves, but that's about it. I live in a condo and don't do gardening...I don't have shovels.

And I really hope some of the forum members take me up on my offer to drive them to the cleanup. It's free with fishing included. I will even share some of my favourite spots.
I will dig up some shovels.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 09:48:21 PM »

Milo you are a good man.  i apologize for the stupid and ignorant comments that I made last year regarding your participation in the Chilliwack River cleanup. Sorry.
It ain't the roe bro'

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 09:57:18 PM »

Milo you are a good man.  i apologize for the stupid and ignorant comments that I made last year regarding your participation in the Chilliwack River cleanup. Sorry.
Don't let it bother you. I don't even know what comments you are talking about. Must have missed them. Or brushed them off. Either way, I hope to see you at the cleanup if your schedule allows...please introduce yourself if you are there. Should be good times! :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2018, 06:14:13 PM »

Thanks Milo for all your help today,always so thankful for your support. I am not sure how many FWR members came out but met a few. The the water was too high for getting tires out but you did get some stuff from the wetted area. Pictures on my FB page as well as Fraser Valley Salmon Society.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2018, 06:43:19 PM »

It was a pleasure Chris.  :)
Always nice to say hi to the good old familiar faces and meet a few new people.
Sorry I didn't stay for the festivities - I had a date with some springs and coho. The coho didn't show up.  :-\

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2018, 11:55:46 PM »

We showed up late, left early.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2018, 03:49:40 AM »

We showed up late, left early.

Great [pictures, so rewarding too see this event we started together in 2002 continue and too grow. If it was not for FWR I donot think the CVRCS would be what it is today. When you see a picture like this it makes all the work worthwhile. The future of improving the environment is in the hands of our youth. So good to see so many parents bring out their children.