Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vaccuum Sealer reviews wanted  (Read 6470 times)

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Vaccuum Sealer reviews wanted
« on: September 01, 2018, 06:26:48 PM »

Looking to purchase a vaccuum sealer and just wondering if there is anything to look out for or what Model you have and if you like it etc.

Thanks.

chironomidking

Re: Vaccuum Sealer reviews wanted
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 08:25:44 PM »

Food Saver 2000 series - Canadian Tire. Have had it for 10 yrs with no problems.

https://m.bestreviews.com/best-vacuum-sealers

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 08:28:24 PM »

Good Question. Cashing in on selling some of my old mans last remaining tools, I bought today a Food Saver FM2000. Home Hardware 140$ with tax. Crappy Tire has em on sale for the long weekend but they sold out faster than the Friday sailing to Nanaimo. I will let you know how it works or lend it to you if it comes to that lol.

obie1fish

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 09:12:29 PM »

X3 on the Food Saver. Shop around: London Drugs, Camadian Tire, Costco. Not sure if Cabelas has them.

Tip: when putting your fish in the freezer, be sure to not jostle them about, as the seals can be breached. Having a dedicated box in the deep freeze helps keep them together and stable.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 09:32:01 PM »

Not enamored with the Foodsaver. Had 2 and they both were a headache to use. Going to buy a commercial grade one. A bit costly ($500.00) but will be worth it.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 09:32:28 PM »

I think Costco only sells one Food Saver model. I've owed it for 5 years now. It works great. I use it year round no issues for 5 years. Game, fish and poultry. No issues. For fish I lay on a baking sheet and spry with water water every 10 min and leave in the freezer till the sprayed water has formed a thin ice layer. THEN you vacuume seal. If you vacuume seal raw fish the seal can pop. It doesnt matter what make or model you have

dave c

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 10:28:57 PM »

X3 on the Food Saver. Shop around: London Drugs, Camadian Tire, Costco. Not sure if Cabelas has them.

Tip: when putting your fish in the freezer, be sure to not jostle them about, as the seals can be breached. Having a dedicated box in the deep freeze helps keep them together and stable.
Cabelas  has an excellent selection from low end to commercial grade sealers. Very reasonable prices. Love the cabelas vacuum bags. Way better than foodsaver.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 10:47:21 PM »

Owned the Foodsaver model from Costco for three or four years. Used it a bunch and am satisfied with it. The bags are a touch expensive but it does a good job. The only area it comes up short is spot prawns... the shells tend to puncture the bags. We now wrap the prawns in parchment paper before sealing them and the puncture rate has gone down to about 1 in 10 bags.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 08:24:40 AM »

Good stuff folks.Just the kind of things i was looking for.
Just like on-line reviews it seams not everyone is in love with foodsaver but most are.
Ray i would definitely like to hear what you think of yours once youve tried it out.

Thanks for the info,keep it comming folks. :)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2018, 09:11:30 AM »

I think this is a great tip. I try to freeze my fish in solid blocks of ice but this takes up a lot of room in the freezer. The fish really only needs a thin layer of ice on it to prevent freezer burn. I'm going to try this next time. As you said just keep misting the fish and putting back in the freezer until you have a protective layer of ice and THEN vac seal it.
I have found that putting the fillets on cookie sheets for a hour or so in the freezer before vac sealing gives you a better seal with less air pockets. But still IMO the fish is still only "good" for max 1 year before some level of freezer burn will start to take effect.

I think Costco only sells one Food Saver model. I've owed it for 5 years now. It works great. I use it year round no issues for 5 years. Game, fish and poultry. No issues. For fish I lay on a baking sheet and spry with water water every 10 min and leave in the freezer till the sprayed water has formed a thin ice layer. THEN you vacuume seal. If you vacuume seal raw fish the seal can pop. It doesnt matter what make or model you have
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 01:03:32 PM by Spawn Sack »

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2018, 10:09:38 AM »

I think this is a great tip. I try to freeze my fish in solid blocks of ice but this takes up a lot of room in the freezer. The fish really only needs a thing layer of ice on it to prevent freezer burn. I'm going to try this next time. As you said just keep misting the fish and putting back in the freezer until you have a protective layer of ice and THEN vac seal it.
I have found that putting the fillets on cookie sheets for a hour or so in the freezer before vac sealing gives you a better seal with less air pockets. But still IMO the fish is still only "good" for max 1 year before some level of freezer burn will start to take effect.

I used to do the block of ice thing. That really is the best method. But yeah it takes a lot of room. I never used to pre freeze before vacuume sealing but every spring I would find half of my catch with a broken seal and into the veggie garden it went. What a waste

chironomidking

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2018, 10:22:44 AM »

I used to do the block of ice thing. That really is the best method. But yeah it takes a lot of room. I never used to pre freeze before vacuume sealing but every spring I would find half of my catch with a broken seal and into the veggie garden it went. What a waste

No need to waste it.  Brine it for 24 hrs and throw it in the smoker.  You will never be able to tell it got freezer burn.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2018, 01:12:01 PM »

Ya encased in solid ice is THE best. Ive had 2-3 year old fish that tasted like it was fresh catch. Well, maybe not quite, but it was still fresh and awesome tasting. By contrast I've had some vac seal jobs where the seal broke a bit or a lot and the fish definitely got a bit freezer burn and the taste plummeted noticeably.

A buddy of mine does a different system and he swears by it: He cuts his fillets in portion size chunks, puts them in a ziplock freezer bag skin side down. Then carefully adds just enough water so the fish has a layer of water on top of the flesh. He then lays the bag on a cookie sheet and into the deep freezer. He says the fish will have a good layer of ice on the top/flesh side where you want the extra thickness. The bottom on the bag will have a very thing layer as the skin is pressed against the bag, but pretty unlikely the freezer burn will go through the skin.

Ive honestly had SO many Foodsaver brand bags pop the seal in the freezer (even with par freezing the fish to stiffen it up and seal better) that I'm not going to do just this any more. I like the idea of coating the fish in a layer of ice and then vac sealing it. Going to try this next time.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2018, 02:36:17 PM »

I don't bother with pre-freezing or glazing with ice (I don't have the space in the freezer for it), but I have found that I have very few failed seals since I started putting the flesh side of the fillet toward the rough/thick side of the bag.  It doesn't look as nice, but I noticed pin bones could puncture the other side of the bag. 

I've had year old sockeye vacuum sealed when raw and dry, and there was zero freezer burn.  It helps to have a chest freezer that doesn't have a self-defrost cycle - that is what really freezer burns most people's food.  I would imagine having a layer of ice on your fillet would help in an ordinary home freezer.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2018, 02:43:57 PM »

I don't bother with pre-freezing or glazing with ice (I don't have the space in the freezer for it), but I have found that I have very few failed seals since I started putting the flesh side of the fillet toward the rough/thick side of the bag.  It doesn't look as nice, but I noticed pin bones could puncture the other side of the bag. 

I've had year old sockeye vacuum sealed when raw and dry, and there was zero freezer burn.  It helps to have a chest freezer that doesn't have a self-defrost cycle - that is what really freezer burns most people's food.  I would imagine having a layer of ice on your fillet would help in an ordinary home freezer.

I hear other people saying the pin bones puncture the bag but in the 4 years or so that I have been vacuum sealing all types of fish, this has never happened. A thin glaze of ice and pre freeze the fish, never had a broken seal.