Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bird on  (Read 5204 times)

Dylb

Bird on
« on: August 26, 2018, 07:15:53 PM »

I don't post much, but thought this was worth a mention

I was fishing a dry fly at the Vedder and a small bird (sparrow?) grabbed my fly off the surface and hooked itself.

Happy ending: I managed to get him to shore, and after he tuckered himself out I managed to unhook his beak and he flew off. Poor bugger...

I guess the idea the that birds eat bugs too shouldn't be too surprising, but does this happen often? lol. He legit hooked himself right through the beak.

Anyways, just wanted to know if it's a common occurrence for some of you!

Thanks

Chehalis_Steel

Re: Bird on
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 01:10:37 AM »

Good to hear you managed to unhook him. Must have been a very realistic fly   ;)

I've never had a bird catch my fly like that but I did hook into a swallow on Douglas Lake ranch. There are thousands of them around the lake because of all the mosquitoes and midges. The poor guy got hooked in the wing on my backcast. Fortunately he just lost one feather and there wasn't any bleeding.

I don't believe in luck but after that the fishing was amazing. It was late afternoon and the fish started moving into the shallows. They were taking scuds and damsels in about 5 feet so it was very visual. Almost like freshwater bonefish.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 01:12:13 AM by Chehalis_Steel »

Dylb

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 07:51:21 AM »

Good to hear you managed to unhook him. Must have been a very realistic fly   ;)

Definitely gave me a boost of confidence in my presentation!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 07:49:20 AM »

I've had swallows, those elegant birds that swarm the surface of the lake whenever there is a hatch, pick up a parachute mayfly pattern but never hook themselves, they just dropped it right away.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Fatso

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 07:14:31 PM »

Hi Dylb, do you think the bird would have been more easily released if you used a barbless hook?  ;)

Just joking.

Once i caught a seagull casting a buzz bomb. I was playing around and made a cast that went up more than it went out.

Dylb

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 11:23:54 AM »

I've had swallows, those elegant birds that swarm the surface of the lake whenever there is a hatch, pick up a parachute mayfly pattern but never hook themselves, they just dropped it right away.

They were swarming the surface for sure, so maybe I should have anticipated it. At least I know for next time!

This was a pretty small fly, so must have been just the right size for him to get hooked.... And definitely barbless  :)

John Revolver

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 12:23:59 AM »

wow I've never heard of that before. Must of been so surreal.

Kudos to you for releasing with care :)