Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: McDonald beach boat launch closed  (Read 3205 times)

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
McDonald beach boat launch closed
« on: August 15, 2018, 06:24:05 AM »

Down here working this morning and seeing lots of guys coming down to launch. Closed until further notice due to the fuel spill and salvage of that Ledcor tug.

ShaunO

Re: McDonald beach boat launch closed
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 09:21:16 AM »

Any sign of World Class Spill Response? 

From the pictures I've seen it looks more like a handfull of skiffs and some booms.  Hopefully the damage to the North Arm isn't massive and permanent, but with a Sockeye run happening at the same time as this accident and spill I really, REALLY hope the amount is minimal and is either cleaned up or evaporates (though diesel is pretty slow at evaporating!).

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 09:47:48 AM »

From the pictures I've seen it looks more like a handfull of skiffs and some booms.  Hopefully the damage to the North Arm isn't massive and permanent, but with a Sockeye run happening at the same time as this accident and spill I really, REALLY hope the amount is minimal and is either cleaned up or evaporates (though diesel is pretty slow at evaporating!).
Along with that ,and the fire a couple weeks ago with that barge fire washing all the toxic waste into the river . What bad timing  >:(. Hope theirs no whales cruising the river mouths  >:( running into walls of this crap out of the river  >:( .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

fishingwithegg2

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 09:57:26 AM »

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 02:13:59 PM »

Funny to me how I've read many news stories last couple of days about the coast guard being first on the scene with a spill containment boom when in fact it was a fellow crew member and I who first on the scene with the large orange spill boom seen on the news and spill response kit. Coast guard didn't arrive for hours afterward and when they did arrive deployed nothing to contain the spill. Kudos to Ledcor for having all the right spill response gear at their dock which we were able to grab quickly and have on the scene. As bad as it is could've been much worse.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 03:40:20 PM »

Wow , that's fantastic iblly , kudos to you and the guys . Just go to show how ill prepared our government is when it comes to emergency responses on the Fraser . With all the industry on the river we do not seem to have an immediate plan of a attack . That barge that caught fire , didn't it take a couple hours for the fire boat to get there from Vancouver harbour ? .  What a shame .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 03:57:44 PM »

Thanks for that. I wasn't working when that barge caught fire but I heard it took four hours for the fire boat to arrive ?!

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 04:17:32 PM »

Funny to me how I've read many news stories last couple of days about the coast guard being first on the scene with a spill containment boom when in fact it was a fellow crew member and I who first on the scene with the large orange spill boom seen on the news and spill response kit. Coast guard didn't arrive for hours afterward and when they did arrive deployed nothing to contain the spill. Kudos to Ledcor for having all the right spill response gear at their dock which we were able to grab quickly and have on the scene. As bad as it is could've been much worse.
Thank you! Awesome job!

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 04:41:12 PM »

Thank you, we were at the right place at the right time and knew how to react to the situation. As I said kudos to ledcor for having all the right equipment and having it easily accessible. Lets also not forget the potential for loss of life in that situation. There were four men aboard that tug, two of them were off shift and asleep when it rolled. Lucky everyone got off safely and unharmed. Imagine waking from a sound sleep upside down and underwater.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 06:41:19 PM »

Good work out there. Being the first one on scene is no fun and decisions need to be made quickly. Doesn’t take long for things to go sideways when fuel is involved.

blueback

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 09:46:59 AM »

Agree; great work out there Iblly. We are all fortunate that you and yours were able to respond to this emergency so quickly and effectively. First the barge fire and now this! I just hope all those toxins flowing into the river doesn't harm the environment too much. As both incidents occurred right in Metro, I would have hoped for a quicker response from the resources dedicated to these types of incidents. World class spill response?

coyote spooner

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 12:24:39 PM »

Justin was there taking selfies 😜
Sarcasm aside....I went to Fraser park dock to have my lunch, while at work.  This was at 10am.  Only the boom and workers throwing absorbent pads into the boom.  At around 10:30 the spill response team showed up.  That’s 12 hours after the tug went down!!!!!!

I made sure to point this out to the tv reporters on site.  Hopefully these failures are brought to light.  No doubt, the environmental movement will use this, as another example of why we don’t want increased tanker traffic.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2018, 11:36:44 AM »

Tug is out of the water and gone. All cranes and clean up crew are gone. Hopefully the damage caused by the diesel is minimal.

blueback

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2018, 12:04:49 PM »

WOO-HOO; Boat launch re-opens today at one pm! Just in time for my weekend fishing!