Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vancouver Sun: Fraser River sockeye salmon fishing bonanza to start next week.  (Read 6570 times)

arimaBOATER

Story has info & pics & an extra bonus Rodney's comments ( even mentions website fishingwithrod.com )
Who says this forum is going the way of extinction? Check out this website's activity....maybe not tons of posts but it gets tons of hits. Tons of hits speaks volumes to advertisers & also means posts get read.
Are sports guys & gals going to catch their limit & put in the fridge/freezer & return to the river? Hope not.
Thankfully a river wide net from bottom to surface has not been invented. Two nets so when one is emptied the other keeps catching. Warm Fraser temp. makes ya wonder how many will get to their spawning grounds. Gotta have an ice company make giant sized cubes...& semis dump the cubes in the Fraser in 10 locations non stop. ::) The commercial fishers are sure happy.
Rodney in Sun story. Check it out. He's famous already...you tube face book website etc...

BBarley

“It’s great news,” he said. “Last week, we were pulling out the nets and getting them ready. We haven’t used these nets in four years.”/quote]

Sooooooo, they weren't used in 2017 or 2015 for pinks? Would they not be the same mesh size? Anyone with more commercial fishing experience/knowledge than myself care to explain that.......

I don't really understand DFO's logic, the numbers have nose dived in the various test fisheries lately and water temps will continue to rise with prolonged high pressure sitting over the province, and yet they unleash the flotilla on em. Oh well, enjoy em while they last, hope enough make it to the Stellako to bounce eggs behind this fall.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

Surprising the anti BB crowd are very quite this time around. After sitting on the sidelines for the last 4 yrs while other user groups have been netting the crap out of the river us sporties get to take two Sockeye home per day. It's comical people would complain about that. Lots of guiding companies including Freds are advertising Sockeye trips. This is going to be a big economical shot in the arm for the local tackle stores, guiding companies and local businesses. Bring it on! This may be the last time we get to catch a Sockeye in the Fraser.

sumasriver

Bottom bouncing for Sockeye does not feel like fishing for me.....  sorry.

And if it just harvesting fish...... I would prefer to just buy my sockeye.

Cheaper and no chance to snag a Chinook...

Maybe you feel different but this is how i feel at this point in time.

Sad to see the decline in west coast salmon......

I think i will wait for coho season.....

psd1179

• Old Timer

Bottom bouncing for Sockeye does not feel like fishing for me.....  sorry.

And if it just harvesting fish...... I would prefer to just buy my sockeye.

Cheaper and no chance to snag a Chinook...

Maybe you feel different but this is how i feel at this point in time.

Sad to see the decline in west coast salmon......

I think i will wait for coho season.....

Using 15' T18 and skagit head

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Surprising the anti BB crowd are very quite this time around. After sitting on the sidelines for the last 4 yrs while other user groups have been netting the crap out of the river us sporties get to take two Sockeye home per day. It's comical people would complain about that. Lots of guiding companies including Freds are advertising Sockeye trips. This is going to be a big economical shot in the arm for the local tackle stores, guiding companies and local businesses. Bring it on! This may be the last time we get to catch a Sockeye in the Fraser.
The reason is nothing is accomplished by discussing the reasons why a few of us donot take part in this activity. One can go back to years past posts on this forum if you want to see the reasons why some of us donot take part.

Of course those that like to bar fish only do get a opportunity to wet a line once again.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

For those that have not tried this activity this is how it looked 4 years ago when I filmed a video at Hope, enjoy. :-X :-X .https://youtu.be/HWRrWXtH0yU

Fatso

Thanks for sharing that video. It looks like fun!!!
Count me in!!!  8)

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer

Am I wrong in thinking that keeping a fish alive on a stringer in 2" of water is not only a dick move, but illegal?

ynot

• Old Timer

you are correct, when I see it I tell the owner he can get a fine and they kill it.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

I’ve herd you can catch sockeye on a bar rig.

I’m going to attempt this year, brined shrimp, spin and glow,

Any experts out their?

Dave

• Old Timer

Bring a lunch  ;D

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

Lol, yeah they don’t bit, thoe bastards

Floss em with a float in the tidel Fraser?