Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ocean guides out of Vancouver...anyone recommended?  (Read 1761 times)

wookie

Ocean guides out of Vancouver...anyone recommended?
« on: July 22, 2018, 09:00:06 PM »

Hi guys, I'm hoping to take my dad and bro-in law out on the salt in Vancouver and have no idea which company is a good guiding outfit.

I know of Pacific Angler and Bon Chovy, but am not certain of others.

Can anyone recommend a good guide for a 5 hour trip out of Vancouver / North Shore?

There seems to be a lot and I'd prefer choosing one with a good reference.......been duped before due to lack of research and would rather not be again.....

Thanks in advance!

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
Re: Ocean guides out of Vancouver...anyone recommended?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 09:15:54 PM »

I've gone with Bon Chovy four times and Pacific Angler once.

We request Jason A. at Bon Chovy. We've gone with him three times and he works hard and has a great attitude. Catching fish is never guaranteed but he'll work hard to get one on the line. That said, we've always come back with at least one salmon even on the winter chinook charters which can be slow fishing.

Went with Pac Angler once when Jason wasn't available. Got a guide named Jason then too! He was also great. Both he and the company were professional and I'd go with them again if I can't get the Jason at Bon Chovy.

I've done a number of other charters over the years and BC and PA both run good boats and fishing gear. Those are the only two charter companies I've used but my dad and I had really good experiences with both outfits and we'll stick with them in future :D

On a side note, you may want to think about doing a longer charter this time of year because sometimes it's worth heading over towards Gabriola for fish. It adds some travel time and isn't feasible on a five hour trip. Check with the company you decide on to see if the fishing is good enough to warrant making the trek over (it's about an hour each way).

cabro

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 02:41:52 PM »

Don't recall the name of our guide but I second Bon Chovy. Went out for my Dad's 70th birthday and hooked into 5 Chinook and the guide definitely worked really hard. I would recommend the 8hr. trip if the bite is on at the Gulf Islands and you need to head over there.

Paulo

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 09:45:03 PM »

I have never used a guiding service but being on the water I know of a few and their reputations. Pacific angler and Bon Chovy without a doubt the two main and best out of Vancouver. Do not forget about Predator Charters as well out of Horseshoe bay. David Korsch I believe. He has over 20 yrs under his belt in our local waters. Tight lines.

Kevgor

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 02:11:59 PM »

We did a 10 hour trip with Pacific Angler on July 8, super nice weather that day so made it (from False Creek) over to Gabriola and Thrasher Rock area. Left at 7am. Trip across Georgia Strait was about 1:15.  Caught our limit of 4 good sized (12-15lb) Springs by around 1:00. Wow, such amazing action for about 2.5 hrs.  Went and fished West Van shoreline after. Picked up crab traps, with 7 legal crabs, threw back 3 of them because I didn't feel we could consume that many in the coming days. Great trip, nice fast 27 foot Grady White. Skipper was really good fun guy - Philippe. Will be doing it again!
Kevgor -

obie1fish

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 03:37:28 PM »

I can vouch for both Jasons, Dave Korsch, as well as Mongoose Striker (Scott Sutherland). You can also look at Ivan Chu. All are very good at their craft.