Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: MinnKota Reliabilty?  (Read 1556 times)

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
MinnKota Reliabilty?
« on: July 10, 2018, 03:05:46 PM »

i have access to an old minnkota electric motor, from my brother in law. He doesn't really know where it came from or if it works.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm thinking that as an electric motor, it's probably still good, without gaskets and seals and carbs and such, but maybe it's just wishful thinking.

How would one test it, can you just hook it up to a car battery to see if it works?

psd1179

• Old Timer
Re: MinnKota Reliabilty?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 04:31:23 PM »

Yes, you can run it on car battery

ShaunO

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 06:44:25 PM »

Fill up a garbage can with water and hook it up to a 12v battery.  If it survives the first few minutes of use, chances are that the seals are good and you should be off to the races.

FYI - use a deep cycle battery instead of a 'regular' battery when actually on the water.  You can damage a 'starting' battery by running it right down, but a deep cycle is designed to be run down, hence the name.

Good luck!

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 07:59:27 PM »

Thanks!

My sister still has the canoe we bought with bottle return money 30+ years ago, it's a 16' flatback, so if the motor works, it'll be a sweet little small lake package...

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 09:24:25 AM »

I literally cannot kill my old 30lb thrust endura. And if you could see what it looks like on the outside, you would know that I have tried.