Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Red Springs  (Read 12575 times)

dave c

Red Springs
« on: July 02, 2018, 11:27:45 AM »

Just wondering if anyone has had any success or is this years run looking as dismal as last year's.  Im heading out tomorrow.  Will report.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: Red Springs
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 12:40:29 PM »

I heard the Chilliwack hatchery was phasing out the summer red springs for fall harrison whites.

Can anyone confirm this?

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 01:22:49 PM »

I heard the Chilliwack hatchery was phasing out the summer red springs for fall harrison whites.

Can anyone confirm this?
If you view the report you can download at this link http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/sep-pmvs/projects-projets/ifmp-pgip-eng.html, you will see the 2016 brood year still met (actually exceeded) the release targets of 1 million fall chinook and 500k summer chinook.  Curious to me is there is a line for spring chinook with a target of 50,000, but no release was apparently made.  Is this a project to enhance the native spring run chinook?

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 01:30:11 PM »

Additionally, if you look at the IFMP for 2018, you will see there is still a goal of releasing 500,000 summer chinook in the Chilliwack river, and it provides a little more clarity on the spring Chinook - saying the goal of the intended releases of spring Chinook is "rebuilding".

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 02:50:27 PM »

Thanks! Looks like it says the 500k is for harvest, that's the summer run, then there was 50k for the spring native run for "rebuilding" and million harrison whites released for harvest

The Chilliwack River watershed supports three distinct stock groups:

 a spring-run population that spawns between Slesse Creek and the Chilliwack
Lake outlet; this population is indigenous to the Chilliwack River and is very
small in abundance;

 a summer-run population that predominately spawns in the upper reaches of the
lower Chilliwack River above Slesse Creek; this population’s origin is from
transplants of mid/upper Fraser River summer-run populations and is supported
by enhancement; and,

 a transplanted Harrison-origin fall-run population that predominately spawns
downstream of the Slesse Creek confluence; this population is significantly
supported by enhancement efforts.

Thanks Coho for the information!!

avid angler

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 02:54:05 PM »

Just wondering if anyone has had any success or is this years run looking as dismal as last year's.  Im heading out tomorrow.  Will report.

Last two years have been piss poor. You can’t judge run by opening day though... also imo the native spring run is most likely extinct...

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 04:15:23 PM »

Cue the crickets on this one boys...

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 04:27:27 PM »

also imo the native spring run is most likely extinct...

Yeah sure seems that way, I don't think they collect brood from it

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 08:30:41 PM »

I remember in the early 90s, we would all park at Lickman and everyone would either camp or have trailers there. The reds would rise usually first week of July and by second week they would all be jumping up and down. Hooking a few during an outing is the norm. Its one of the toughest fish to land if they are over 20lb.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 08:37:15 PM »

I remember in the early 90s, we would all park at Lickman and everyone would either camp or have trailers there. The reds would rise usually first week of July and by second week they would all be jumping up and down. Hooking a few during an outing is the norm. Its one of the toughest fish to land if they are over 20lb.

Or people camped out overnight at the Limit Hole (when it was legal to fish there)

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 08:43:01 PM »

I remember fishing the Stamp River in the 80s when there was huge returns of fall chinooks. I called them tackle busters. The fight in those large fish were off the charts. One would hook fish after fish until your limit of 2 was landed and tagged out. Those were the days.

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2018, 11:51:03 PM »

Avid angler is right last 2 years piss bloody poor , 3 years ago was very good, few distinct spots have fish but every year there’s one unique hotspot! Hope this year is better , will fish in second week of July

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 06:56:04 AM »

Additionally, if you look at the IFMP for 2018, you will see there is still a goal of releasing 500,000 summer chinook in the Chilliwack river, and it provides a little more clarity on the spring Chinook - saying the goal of the intended releases of spring Chinook is "rebuilding".

curious of those 500k how many adults return? I've heard it seldom exceeds 1 or 2,000

Also the spring 'rebuilding' number was not achieved due to no brood availability.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 08:22:43 AM »

curious of those 500k how many adults return? I've heard it seldom exceeds 1 or 2,000

Also the spring 'rebuilding' number was not achieved due to no brood availability.
Do you know if any effort was ever made to obtain brood stock?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2018, 08:44:45 AM »

Do you know if any effort was ever made to obtain brood stock?
Efforts were made a few years ago and I believe a few were spawned, but the truth is the native, indigenous chinooks are all but extinct.   To capture what might be left for broodstock would be very costly.