Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where to take the kids  (Read 2741 times)

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
Where to take the kids
« on: June 29, 2018, 11:06:39 PM »

They are bored of rice lake but I would like to get them into some trout.  We don’t have a boat but looking for something productive. Any suggestions ? 
see ya on the river

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: Where to take the kids
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 11:23:28 PM »

The Chilliwack Vedder on, or after, July 1st

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 11:34:40 PM »

Funny you mentioned that.   I did take them to the Vedder once for trout and we got yelled at because they said it was smolts we were catching.  It didn’t look like t from my knowledge but I got out of there.   Someone told me it’s very hard to tell between trout and salmon in that system ...

Also.  Where can you park along the Vedder and not get the car broken into or glass smashed
see ya on the river

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 11:51:47 PM »

Unfortunately, break ins can happen anywhere.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 12:20:50 AM »

When I take kids and families fishing there, I park at Lickman Road. Never had a problem. It’s a busy lot during the summer months so unlikely (but not impossible) that something will happen.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 06:09:41 AM »

Thanks.
I have thought about parking at a store parking lot and then cabbing over.  I drive a higher end car so it will stick out.
see ya on the river

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 07:43:40 PM »

read the regs. They allow a fishery to retain hatchery steelhead smolts that more than likely won't migrate to the ocean. It's best to get those fish out of there as they compete with the wild fish.. Treat any wild fish properly and release asap.

Next time you can tell such self-righteous pr*cks what they can do with themselves.

Funny you mentioned that.   I did take them to the Vedder once for trout and we got yelled at because they said it was smolts we were catching.  It didn’t look like t from my knowledge but I got out of there.   Someone told me it’s very hard to tell between trout and salmon in that system ...

Also.  Where can you park along the Vedder and not get the car broken into or glass smashed
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 07:56:13 PM »

There are several spots where you can park quite safely IMO. Great Blue Heron Reserve is a good spot to park, take the kids through the reserve and see the birds etc, then walk to the river via the trail. There should be some kid-friendly spots at the trail head once you reach the river.

The safest spot to park IMO is the dog park and new playground just downstream from the Vedder Crossing on the north side. That playground is great for kids, there is also a pretty awesome food truck at the lot usually. The dog park is used constantly during daylight hours so you have all the security needed. I'd walk downstream on the Rotary Trail to find spots. You may need to walk down to Peach Road to find kid-friendly spots.

As Ralph said, there's nothing wrong with targeting newly released juvenile hatchery steelhead in July and August, as long as the participants are well aware of wild fish and practice proper catch and release when these are encountered.

Fatso

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 06:25:51 PM »

how about taking the kids to Barnet Marine Park dock at high tide.
Or to that pier at Ambleside or is it called Dundarave?